Might be in the market for a newer tow vehicle

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
My current tow vehicle is a 2001 Dodge club 4x4 which has served me very well. but it has 120000 or so miles on it now and since purchasing a larger boat I'm thinking about an upgrade, as we plan to do a lot of towing with it next season. I'm most likely looking at a later Dodge, as this one has served me so well, but I'm interested to hear of any known problems with them, or other makes, in the 2006 - 2011 range.
any personal good or bad experiences welcome.

Thanks,
Russ

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
honestly, if you are considering purchasing a larger tow vehicle only because you bought a mac25, you can rest easy and save your money.
the clubcab will pull the 25 plenty easy as a 2500-3000lb trailer is nothing behind it....
in my opinion, the miles on the truck is more of a personal preference thing, because engines are easily getting 200000+ miles on them without any problems, providing they are properly cared for.... mac 25's (and similar) are safely towed by much smaller vehicles than your dodge, and the towing capacity of the the 1500 clubcab is over 7000lbs, and if you were to take off the required amount as recommended for long distance towing, it still leaves you with a capacity of 6000lbs

so as much as I know how nice it is to upgrade, you cant use the mac as the "reason" you need a bigger/newer truck:biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
so as much as I know how nice it is to upgrade, you cant use the mac as the "reason" you need a bigger/newer truck:biggrin::biggrin:
Sure I can ;)
Yes the current truck does pull the Mac just fine, but it is 15 years old and has been used as a truck. not abused, but used hard. I'd been thinking of upgrading even before buying the Mac, but especially now. living here in Grants Pass we really can't go anywhere (except the coast) without having to climb some pretty good grades, and we plan to be doing a LOT of traveling out of the area, with boat in tow, soon. :)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I'm happy withy Ford Expedition with two exceptions. Spark plugs cost about a million dollars each and the average Joe can't check the transmission fluid. Weird. But it's comfortable and pulls real good.

Mar 20, 2012
Sure I can ;):)
Ive always called a spade a spade:biggrin::biggrin:... and always will.
so yes, you can tell your wife anything you need to so that you can get a new truck. but you arent fooling us:ass:

and I do understand about the grants pass area, everything out of there has to go uphill....

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
We tow our Lancer 25 all over Maine with our Ford F150, 5.4 Triton 4x4. At 5500 pounds with the trailer, you'd think the 208,000 miles on the truck would concern me. No, not really. Except for the most grueling hills over by Camden, the Ford hardly knows she's being followed. I paid $6800 8 years ago and really can't complain.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I'm not concerned with having enough power to tow, as I know my Mac tows easily. my main concerns are with transmission reliability, and to a lesser degree the rest of the driveline. I've read that certain versions of Dodge trucks, for example, used a Mercedes trans. I once owned a Jag with a Mercedes trans. I don't want another one, thank you. if you know of certain truck years/models that have a weak trans, poor rear ends, etc, thats the stuff I'm interested in hearing about.

Thanks,

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Russ, it's a little large, maybe, but the 6.7 diesel in the newer than 2011 fords are amazing. This thing is so quiet and the long wheelbase drives like a car almost. Of course it's 7000 lbs, and you park it wherever you want, cuz there isn't a space big enough anyplace, but the Catalina on the back is a little over 11000 lbs, and we've set the cruise in drive (6th gear) and the tranny temp was no worse for it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It sounds like the poster had the truck to pull a larger boat but is concerned due to high mileage. I am a former sailboat dealer who pulled many boats to include Macs over the years and larger boats with heavier trailers. 120000 miles is nothing. Proper maintenance is the key folks like changing the oil/oil filter/filters and so on on a very regular basis.. In addition if you will accelerate slowly like I use to and brake slower and so on, vehicles will last. Usually my gas trucks or cars went to 250000. The last car had 180000 miles on it before it gave up the ghost because I sunk the car in Smith Mt. Lake trying to launch a sailboat or 18 foot daysailor with a 7 foot draft and even caught a 20 lb. stripper.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I would check with vehicle reviews and tests as perhaps they could be a better source for technical and reliability information. Just remember, a new tow vehicle will not compensate for the flaws of an old trailer. We trailer long distances at least once or twice a year and most of our concern for reliability is directed to the boat trailer. We figure that if the tow vehicle has been performing well around town and in short trips for the last six months that chances are it will continue to do so for at least a few days more. Good luck finding a new vehicle.

Mar 20, 2012
It sounds like the poster is concerned due to high mileage. I am a former sailboat dealer who pulled many boats to include Macs over the years and larger boats with heavier trailers. 120000 miles is nothing. Proper maintenance is the key folks like changing the oil/oil filter/filters and so on on a very regular basis.. In addition if you will accelerate slowly like I use to and brake slower and so on, vehicles will last. Usually my gas trucks or cars went to 250000.
I have to agree... my old ford is a 95, its a rough looking old work truck and has 270000 miles on it and shows no signs of getting tired yet... its comfortable and fun to drive, and as much as I love the old beast, I dont give it any grace.... we have an understanding, Ill take care of it when we are home, and it will take care of me when we're on the road....whatever is connected behind me, gets towed along as just as fast as the road conditions and traffic allows.
the truck gets taken care of because I do want it to last, but im NOT going to baby it along to get it to do that.... my little mac 25 has seen sustained 85mph winds, when hooked to the bumper of my truck... and some higher gusts have been known;)....

so if one knows much at all about how car salesmen/car deals work, you are much better off driving the wheels off of what you have, rather than using it as a trade in on something different.... this is only true when what you have is adequate for the job:biggrin:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
OK. I think I understand now. The truck I have now doesn't need to be replaced. it runs fine, shifts fine, and will be totally reliable for at least another 100,000 miles. thanks for everyones help on comprehending this. :banghead:

:biggrin:
Russ

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
I'm afraid we really let Russ down. He came here looking for validation, planning to quote the unanimous opinions of this forum urging that a shiny new F-350 as the minimum necessary for the safety of the Mac, his family, other motorists, and the economy. Instead I have the disquieting picture of his wife, arms crossed, body language leaving no doubt, an expression to match, and one hand clutching a print out of this thread.

Mar 20, 2012
OK. I think I understand now. The truck I have now doesn't need to be replaced. it runs fine, shifts fine, and will be totally reliable for at least another 100,000 miles. thanks for everyones help on comprehending this. :banghead:

:biggrin:
Russ
Russ, respectfully, I want to say that I think I understand what you are looking for, but not real sure why you are searching a boating forum for potential problems that a dodge truck may have.... we can tell you a lot about boats, and some could tell you a lot about trucks, but these people who know about trucks are not so much interested in talking about them when they are logged into a sailboat forum, no more than they will have interest in talking boats when on a truck forum....

we are trying to be helpful in letting you know what you have should work for you, and save you a lot of money, and at the same time you need to realize that its the nature of DIYer's like the members of this forum (or anywhere else), to cut directly to the point so as to allow you the most economical solution.... as I said, its our nature and the most economical solution is to continue with what you have, BECAUSE you have not mentioned it as being unsafe or undependable...

but if you were to ask the question about dependable tow vehicles, along with some parameters that we could work from ... and leave out the part about wanting to tow your mac25, you may have a different result....
like any other "search engine", its all about how you ask the question.... and although most of us now know it has nothing at all to do with towing your boat, when the question was put forth, it very much seemed like you had a concern about towing it with the clubcab..... its not that we dont want to help, but is just that without some parameters, one could go on for years listing what they have heard/gossip, about this vehicle or that vehicle, from the early 90's to current.... so if you were to do some of the foot work yourself, and ask the question in a way that may draw the interest from those that know, it could help... if you get no helpful responses that way, you may be reduced to logging in to a dodge truck forum...

there are many parameters to choose from.... brand or model, tow rating, engine type, 4x4, auto or standard, crewcab, suv, ect.... pick some and ask in a different way and see if you get a more helpful response to your questions...:biggrin:

and as for the Mercedes transmissions, those used in the dodge pickups are very much different that what was/is used in cars..... the only thing comparable is the name.... if you choose to hold a grudge and judge them the same way, you could miss out on a deal.

Mar 20, 2012
I'm afraid we really let Russ down. He came here looking for validation, Instead I have the disquieting picture of his wife, arms crossed, body language leaving no doubt, an expression to match, and one hand clutching a print out of this thread.
I hope its not the print of something I may have said:biggrin:....

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Russ. I'm in the same "boat" as you, only mine is a 2003 Dakota (4.7 L) and I"m pulling a heavier boat than you. Where I live, trucks die not from mileage, but from rust. Mine is due. My next one will also likely be another Dodge, but hopefully diesel, not gas. I don't have all my years straight, but a lot of the half ton gas dodges are fuel hogs. Maybe not a consideration for you, but high on my list is halfway decent fuel economy. Somewhere around 2013, the gas engine became much more efficient (shuts down cylinders). The new half ton diesel is what I really want, but can't justify (or afford) a new one. I'm hoping to keep my current one running long enough, that I come across one at the right deal in the used market eventually.

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
IMG_1964.JPG
We tow our Hunter 23.5 with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 3.0L diesel and with that same jeep we tow a 23' travel trailer which is about 4500lbs.
I'm going to keep this vehicle for a long time, never had any real issues and that thing tows like a dream, plus those vehicles have a 7000lb towing capacity.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Kermit;
Ok you got me on that one. I met to say striper. FISH. Anyway, I am old, overweight and sound like an old fart. With those credentials, the ladies run. Not sure why my good looking wife does not.
Skutsje;
Great photo but a couple of questions. First do you have a safety chain on the tongue of the trailer going to the bow eye on the bow of the boat. If not, install one. Second are you using a tie down strap and if so, suggest that you turn it a couple of time on each side of the hull to prevent wind slap against the hull.