Midship Cleat Placement

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
On our ’07 Hunter 27, we have bow and stern cleats, but no cleats midship. I have always felt they would be useful for spring lines instead of running them off of the existing cleats, and while attending a boat show last weekend, I saw a ’15 Hunter 33 – from the same design era as our boat – with them. I realize they aren’t essential, but I’m determined to add them anyway. The next issue, however, is placement.

No doubt, one reason our modest boat doesn’t have them already is there is little room enough to go forward without stubbing toes on cleats. To help avoid that problem, at least while away from the dock, I’ve gotten 6” folding cleats. Sure, I’ll manage to kick and curse them even with the low profile when folded, but at least it helps reduce the problem. I could have gotten retractable cleats, but I don’t have a lot of interior room to sink them without being seen.

The obvious place for them is on deck near the rub rail, halfway between the existing cleats. However, I’m wondering if I can eliminate the stubbing issue entirely by installing them on the hull just below the rub rail. I guessing the hull isn’t as thick as the deck, but, certainly, I’ll using backing plates wherever they wind up going. The side of the hull is less convenient, but I only plan to use them while docked, so access while underway isn't a big issue.

Thoughts?

IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
Oh, and the filthy deck isn't a normal state for us! We still haven't gotten round to peeling off the shrink-wrap and getting the first layer of dirt off...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
However, I’m wondering if I can eliminate the stubbing issue entirely by installing them on the hull just below the rub rail.
Hi Kevin, if it were my boat I would not mount them on the hull. Best place would be as close to the rail as possible. Contact the maker to determine whether they recommend any special way to mount them. Sometimes there might be a backing plate already molded into the deck where you want to mount them.

Jul 25, 2018
O'day 19 MK-II Weekender Narragansett Bay
Like the O.P. my sailboat only has cleats at the bow and stern.
Because my boat does not have lifelines I was thinking of installing cleats amidships as a tie off location for fenders, along with additional cleat points if needed.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
On deck definitely. Far enough aft to be at maximum beam. But the mounting details depend the structure of the hull/deck joint, and I don’t know that. My h27 is the Cherubini model from the ‘70’s

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
You will like them especially when you are docking. Make up a spring line with a loop on both ends. Make the length exactly to reach your slip's outermost cleat from your onboard midship cleat. When approaching your slip one crew-member (wife?) will firmly fasten the described spring line to the midship cleat and hold the other end while standing at the shrouds outboard of the lifelines. She will hold onto the shrouds for balance. As you approach the dock slowly she will step down and place the end loop over the outermost dock cleat and then stand on it to keep it from falling off. She should stand there on the spring line. Your boat, still sliding slowly forward, will now come to a stop exactly where it belongs. You will leave the engine idling in forward to hold it still against the spring. Hand the wife the stern line to attach on the same cleat. Either of you can attach the rest of the dock lines. Lastly put the boat in neutral and shut off the engine. No drama to this docking method.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There are a number of above-deck style retractable cleats on the market.
This one is availible from WalMart or Overtons in 6" or 9"

I like this one for its sleeker looks, also at Overtons for about twice the price of the one above.

I was also thinking, you have a deck mounted jib sheet traveler? Do they make cleats that can be clipped onto a traveler for temporary docking use? I couldn't find an example and maybe the direction of pull is wrong for a traveler. I know there are toe rail mounted blocks, how about cleats?

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
VT, I put them on our C22 last year, followed Stingy's location recommendation, measured the boat's length at waterline and dropped a plumb bob at the midpoint. Installed close to toe rail exactly as in your first pic, with plate or BIG thick fender washers below. I wouldn't put 'em on the hull for sure, that would be problematic, and even dangerous sticking out there when docking. Great for springlines and ease of docking, wish I'd done it sooner, the retractable ones have merit to avoid toe stubbing if that concerns you....fwiw

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
As a temporary aid, I've tied a springline on the jib car. I's plenty strong.
Ken

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
There is some company that makes "booties" for lack of a better word. A cap fits over each end of the cleat, and a bungee sewn in keeps it in place.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
On the H26 the hull to deck joint creates a small "lip" that runs the entire length of the hull. The chain plates for the shrouds and forestay are mounted through this "lip" with a backing plate. I've been thinking of adding a mid-ship cleat on the lip. I don't know if the 27 has this same lip.

upload_2019-5-13_17-11-5.png

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Contact me with a photo where you want to replace and a photo of the interior ceiling/cabin where the supposed attachment would be. Advise type of ceiling cover. Then I will research and advise. Introduced and sold the boat as a dealer now retired. Hell no on attachment to hull

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
The hull is not reinforced for this use. It is likely only 1/4” fiberglass. A good storm will leave you wishing you had not done it. Likewise, someone will leave it out one day, and you will tear it off against a piling. Eventually, something will catch it.
Your toe will heal. Let’s rehearse: “Cheese and rice that hurts!”

The deck is the place.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Since midship cleats are mainly used for spring lines, as you mentioned, they should be pretty strong. It is the first line to the dock for us, to help stop the boat. Then I use it to power (sometimes ½ throttle or more) against it to bring the boat to the dock when either (or both) current and wind are pushing the boat off the dock.
It wouldn't even occur to me to buy some folding or fancy disappearing cleat for this cleat, certainly one of the most important on your boat in certain circumstances.
How many times must you put foot to cleat before you remember it is there and cease the practice? Buy a big, strong cleat and a hefty backing block.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Even though you described your boat as modest, you still need to consider Mother Nature. She will not check your boat before letting the winds blow.
As @capta has eloquently described a mid cleat is a valuable tool. They should be strong. The hull will not survive a big blow with the mid cleat lashed to the dock even if you put a back plate.
The deck is the place to locate it. You can always wear close toed sandals if you really need to. I agree with Capta. Before too long you’ll know not to bang your toe or if a real slow learner you’ll just have them removed and all will be well again.

No to hull idea. Yes to deck. Send @Crazy Dave Condon a message. He knows things.