midnite solar "the Kid"

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
here it is, came today after months of waiting for them to become available. i was hoping (but doubted) to be able to just mount it and attach the wires after removing the old BPZ500 charge controller that is causing a RF noise on my VHF radio (see earlier post).

I have two solar panels, in series, and two 12 volt batteries, in parallel.

What i am showing are pictures of the fuse box that I already have installed between the PV input and the old flawed charge controller, and also the Battery out fuse box between the charge controller and the battery, near the battery. would this be sufficient?

And then the wiring diagram, which has a bunch of other things like ground fault protector IN SERIES with the PV input breaker, and a breaker in series with the battery plus wire. Two breakers in series between the solar panels and the charge controller?

Is all that really necessary? HELP!
Keith

Attachments

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
here it is, came today after months of waiting for them to become available. i was hoping (but doubted) to be able to just mount it and attach the wires after removing the old BPZ500 charge controller that is causing a RF noise on my VHF radio (see earlier post).

I have two solar panels, in series, and two 12 volt batteries, in parallel.

What i am showing are pictures of the fuse box that I already have installed between the PV input and the old flawed charge controller, and also the Battery out fuse box between the charge controller and the battery, near the battery. would this be sufficient?

And then the wiring diagram, which has a bunch of other things like ground fault protector IN SERIES with the PV input breaker, and a breaker in series with the battery plus wire. Two breakers in series between the solar panels and the charge controller?

Is all that really necessary? HELP!
Keith
If you were installing it on land you would need all that to meet NEC code. On a boat all you need is a fuse in the + battery lead within 7" of the battery positive post. Land based system run much higher voltages this the NEC want all that extra stuff, even if using a low voltage PV system...

I have been playing with the KID for a few months now and it is a nice controller.

*So PV + & - to controller
*Controller + & - Output to Battery Bank W/Fuse in + Lead

Oct 2, 2008
If you were installing it on land you would need all that to meet NEC code. On a boat all you need is a fuse in the + battery lead within 7" of the battery positive post. Land based system run much higher voltages this the NEC want all that extra stuff, even if using a low voltage PV system...

I have been playing with the KID for a few months now and it is a nice controller.

*So PV + & - to controller
*Controller + & - Output to Battery Bank W/Fuse in + Lead
Sweet!. Thanks!

Oct 2, 2008
Got her in, set her up for my temporary flooded cell walmart cheap batteries. Nice product.

Now, I need to get a decent shore charger, and then, upgrade my batteries.

Lithium? Ill need Mainesail for that!

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
It seems to have made a difference, it is pulling 200 watts out of my panels and regularly 10 amps. It keeps my refrigerator freezer going and leaves the batteries near full at the end of the day. I'm surprised. I had to run my shore charger with the other BPZ500 charge controller. And thank goodness this one does not create noise on my VHF!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
It seems to have made a difference, it is pulling 200 watts out of my panels and regularly 10 amps. It keeps my refrigerator freezer going and leaves the batteries near full at the end of the day. I'm surprised. I had to run my shore charger with the other BPZ500 charge controller. And thank goodness this one does not create noise on my VHF!
I have been saying for a long while that not all controllers are created equal, especially MPPT.. The BZ is pretty antiquated technology the KID is cutting edge and very, very fast...

Two weeks ago I ran some head to head comparisons between MPPT and PWM one of the days I compared a Genasun to a cheap Chinese MPPT and the Genasun beat it like Bobby Brown on Whitney Huston....:D