Midnight Sun refit

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
After returning from the Mexico race, it was very apparent that Midnight Sun needs another major refit, or needs to be retired from ocean racing. Having gotten the crap kicked out of us, the boat was showing her age. Most of the hatches and ports were badly leaking and Lewmar no longer supports the ports I have. I installed them twenty years ago, and they started failing five years ago. The rivets that were used to secure the locking mechanism started dissolving and were replaced with ss screws. This helped for a while. The hinges on the hatches were glued on (I think) and let go. The AC quit. The refer quit. We destroyed $12000.00 worth of kevlar headsails. (Yes I know its not the boat getting old doing that)

So you contemplate buying a newer boat, retiring something you have had more fun with than any of your wives, or putting $30000.00 plus in a boat worth about that. For the second time, I might add. I also just overhauled the engine.

The decision I reached probably makes little sense, but I ordered new sails, new AC, new refer, and new Hood SS hatches and ports. We will be back, but not for a few months.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
We are just about to have about $15,000 worth of work done to our '83 HC37 in preparation for cruising next year. This will include painting, rigging, rudder and check of the keel bolts. The steering, engine and sails are already taken care of.

There is some logic to putting the money into a boat that you have made into just what you want. It is then a totally known quantity. I have top believe that no new to you boat would be the same.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Problem is well-defined making the answer pretty easy I think. Spend $30,000. and have a solid ocean-ready boat. Or spend $200,000. for a boat that might be a little faster but not near as safe and solid.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I have to agree with Ed. I just dropped $10K on new sails and furler. Standing and running rigging is next. Then maybe ports, again. Sailing isn't for the faint of wallet! But I feel like I have enjoyed every $ spent to date; I am certain it will be the same for future spending...sigh.

FredV

Oct 16, 2011
Hunter 37-cutter Philadelphia, PA
Good for you, Blaise, and for us, too! Your incredible achievements with Midnight Sun have been an inspiration to all of us 37-C owners, and I'm sure we're all looking forward to many more!

Best of luck with the refit!

Sep 12, 2011
Hunter 27 Annapolis
When you buy another boat, you are buying someone else's problems, which you may not know much about or the extent of.
Stick with the H37. You know the boat, the weak points and it sounds like you are able to afford the new parts.
Then, get back out there!!
Keep us posted on how all this goes.
:)