Mid Winter Cruise

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The week of February 15th has some promise for a mid winter cruise, weather permitting. So, think about dusting off your foulies, stoking your boat furnace with an extra lump of coal or two and head for open waters. It will still be a bit chilly out there, so I intend to dress warm. Parks Bay and Friday Harbor vicinity offers some promise for a get away destination. Who knows, Haleys might be open for indoor dining by then. Either way some sail time is tops on the list.

Headed out two weeks ago for a winter cruise. Was able to get in a little sail time, but mostly motoring over to Friday Harbor. Spent the week just enjoying the outdoors, sea water smells and sea life. Visited a bit with Tom Burgess, a Friday Harbor live-aboard and a fellow flotilla skipper from our 2018 summer cruise. Furnace running most all the time to keep the inside warm.

Last edited:
May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Good on ya, Terry. I'm looking forward to spring recommissioning in 6-8 weeks and making up for lost 2020 time on the water. :beer:

Dec 25, 2000
spring recommissioning in 6-8 weeks
At least that long, since Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow yesterday and you know what that means. Today we have temps in the mid 40s, sunny blue sky with patches of clouds and a light NW breeze. Very tempting. Of course that was after several days of soggy cold weather.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
since Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow yesterday
You just had to rub that in! But, there were three other groundhogs in this region that didn't see their shadows, so what's the real story? And we're going to get some of the coldest air in about three years over the weekend, so next week will be seriously unpleasant.

Dec 25, 2000
Grr. So much for preparing a mid winter sail plan. Mother Nature chose to intervene and interrupt this skipper's plan with a very large dump of white stuff; fifteen inches. Added to the mix was an unexpected grandson's baptism. Did check on the boat just to make sure she was still afloat.

Next shot is the week of April 4th. Easter Sunday is the 4th, so will spend that with the admiral. We'll see what the weather has to say about then. Will keep you posted.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My man Rufus offered this long range look at the Pacific NW Weather.

Friday February 19​
Cool time ahead. Let’s sip into the outlook.​
Sun breaks & showers will prevail today through the weekend in OR. The overall rain pattern shifts north into NW WA & Vancouver Island, SW BC where it will be, in a word, WET. Breezy. Wet weather will spread south into OR and east overnight Sunday through late Mon. Cooler temps, as the air mass will have decent cold air support, so mountain snow will continue to pack & pack. WIND issues are possible for portions of CA through Wed next week, as the high pressure pattern will favor strong winds.​
Tue & Wed next week should be mostly dry before the next system drops in from the NW. Expect rain & cold breezes to return Wed night, with showers continuing into Fri Feb 26. Models indicate this pattern will be on the cold side for late Feb, so don’t be surprised to have snow showers around a 1,000 ft or so, with several intense showers producing small hail possible Fri. Just say’n.
There are various solutions for the last weekend of February, so for now, we’ll lean towards a ‘mixed’ wx pattern - with Sat being the wetter of the two days.​
March has been charting to start out like a Lion, with several wet, blustery storms arriving and LOTS of mountain snow. CA may get in on some of the rain that first week of the month. We will point out, however, that some model runs hint at a few dry days to start March. Which group of solutions will prove accurate?​
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.” -Plato
-Rufus​

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am bored with no boat time this winter. Looking at March to be the month to start finishing projects left partially done in November. The Civic duty comes first as I have been invited - Summoned - to serve on the County Grand Jury for 2 weeks in early March. They say there is a selection process. So there is a chance I will not get selected. That is up to the fates and how many other summonees choose to report.

If I get a pass, then I'll have 2 weeks without scheduled activities - sail boat time..

Dec 25, 2000
Ditto this winter. Did spend some time on the boat, but never left the slip; mostly puttering. Also wondering whether our neighbors to the north will ever open up. Really would like to head north for some cruise time. If they weren't so cranky and out of sorts all the time. Perhaps it would help if they wore boxers instead of briefs they might be less uptight, eh? :poke:

• Ha