Mid-Texas Coast Exploring, a log for Olepi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2005
- - Port Aransas, Tx
Perhaps this is the wrong forum; I put a 1983 Catalina 22 in the water at Port Aransas Texas, and intend to spend the summer sailing up and down the central Texas coast; and I wanted to post information from that area. The Port A area includes the Corpus Christi ship channel (pretty busy with tankers), the Ingleside Naval station channel, the Aransas Pass shrimper's channel, and the Intra-coastal Waterway. Access to the Gulf of Mexico, the channels, and several large bays (15 miles across) make Port A a strategic place to base out of. There are also mangrove swamps and good fishing flats all around, in addition to the off-shore and bay fishing. I put the boat in the water and paid for a year. My boat, named Olepi, is a C22 with a swing keel, and fixed rudder. I just bought it, and whoever had it before took very good care of it. Good bimini, two head sails, very clean interior, 5hp 2cycle Mariner, nice trailer with rollers not skids, and a pop-top. I used to sail a Holder-20 down here; very fast, but that boat is hard to live on :) The C22 is going to be much better. Here are my questions: - what size seas are "doable"? I expect to be able to do 4-6 foot seas off-shore with little trouble. Perhaps 8-10 is a problem? 4-6 ft means I can go 20 miles offshore in normal conditions. What have people done before? - in shallow waters, I hope to anchor and stay in less than 3 feet, is this realistic? Tides inland at Port A are probably no more than 6-8" usually. - I want to tow, or board, my 14' Sea Dart fishing kayak; what is the best way to tow or board a smaller boat? A line or some kind of fixed connection? Or keep it onboard? - in salt water, how often do I have to take it out and service it? With a swing keel, I am a little worried ... - does anybody care if I post my experiences here on this forum? thanks, Bill P ------ Port Aransas, Texas

T

Timm R

Yes

We would like very much to hear about your experiances good bad or entertaining.A kakyak should be no problem to tow.

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
Tex 22

Bill: I suppose the distance between waves is an important variable, if close they are steep and tough on a 22 ft boat, if far they aren't so bad. On lakes where waves are close together, I find my C22 starts to get spray into cockpit and over bow in 3 ft waves. So I would recommend you venture into bigger seas very cautiously, gaining experience to see what is comfortable in your situation. Re/anchoring, with the swing keel up you should be ok in 3 ft water, though watch your rudder, you may need to replace it with one that kicks-up. Besides tide, wind could give you some depth problems too. Overall I would think the C22 would be a good craft for your area. Oh, when you apply bottom paint, try to get it up into the trunk where the keel retracts. There are some spongy-foams attached to wire available for kitchen cleaning chores that work well for reaching up into the trunk where a brush doesn't reach. Dick

Feb 28, 2005
- - Port Aransas, Tx
Tex 22

Thanks, I used to take my Holder-20 out in 5-7 foot seas, but I would consider that "sport" sailing :) In the bays, however, that means chop, and that is too rough. Offshore, it is mostly swells, not whitecaps, and I am thinking 4-6 feet will be ok. Thanks for the tip on the paint. I'll need to take the boat out and service it sometime in the next 6months or year. thanks, Bill P Port A, Tx

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Some new bottom paint...

...will make life easier. Talk to a local chandlery about what's best for that area. With new paint you probably won't have too much to worry about, but you can always put the snorkel on when you're in a shallow anchorage and check it out yourself.

Feb 28, 2005
- - Port Aransas, Tx
The first sailing day -- an inspiration!

I took my C22, Olepi, out last weekend; Saturday weather was 20mph North wind and 100% rain. Temp was about 50. Prevailing winds here in Port A are SE, so I wanted to double check the dock lines for the new wind direction. All was well. I spent the night in a nice hotel and had a big breakfast Sunday. It was still cloudy, but the forecast was for partly-cloudy, so I took the boat out around 11:00. Clouds were breaking by the time I motored out into the Corpus channel, and then it turned into a glorious day :) I hoisted the main and it had a good shape; first sailing on the new boat! Then I noticed a tanker, unloaded, coming out the Corpus channel. I went upwind, out of the channel, and waited for him. Meanwhile, another fully loaded tanker was coming in, so I milled around and watched them pass each other. It was full sun, about 60 degrees, with a 10-15 north wind, all crisp and clean. Water temp now (March 1) is about 65 degrees. I have to say I was inspired :) There was a Whooping Crane festival going on, and seeing all those birds among the mangroves was a rejuvinating experience. The light, wind, dolphins, birds, ships, and clouds all conspired to convince me that Earth is a blessed place, and we are lucky to live on it. :) I had a glow from that day that lasted for several more days. This coming weekend is predicted for 10-15 East winds (perfect) and up to a 40% chance of showers. Temp is around 70 for the high, and 65 for the low. Nice, and no mosquitoes. I still haven't put up a jib, and don't really know what shape the two jibs are in. There is no battery, and I need to wring out the electrical system. I haven't set up the boom vang, the bimini, or the spinnaker I want to get. The glow is nice, but there is still a lot of work to do ... Bill P Port A, Texas

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C22 Fun

Bill Get thee to a chandlery or boating bookstore and take a look at Patrick Royce's little book Sailing Illustrated. While there are a lot better sailing books, this one is right up your alley. Look at pages 58 and 59, which show how to rig, of all things, a Catalina 22! This includes a very important jib downhaul line, which will make your life a lot simpler. You'll love your boat, we had one (1981 #10496) and learned a lot of very good stuff sailing on San Francisco Bay, big winds and waves. As mentioned before, don't ask what size waves, just go out, be careful, check out what you feel you can handle, and go for it. If not, just come back. It's like skiing - how steep can you handle? If your budget allows, buy the book, it's old fashioned, but kinda neat. Also check out the C22 Association website if you haven't already. They have their specific information to your boat that will be invaluable to you. Fair winds, keep enjoying, that's what it's all about. Stu

D

David Williams

Corpus

Bill, I would like to get in touch with you. I am a C-22 sailor, and was thinking about making a trip to the Port A/Corpus area this summer. It would be great to hook up with another boat for a sail. Please email me at david.williams@abilenetx.com David

Feb 28, 2005
- - Port Aransas, Tx
re: corpus, and latest trip

Hey David, Abilene, huh? I grew up in Odessa and El Paso. Sure, it would be a blast to sail out together. I know some about this area, but there is a lot to explore! The latest trip this weekend: weather was cloudy with 70% chance of 1-2" of rain, some thunderstorms. I went with some buddies in their fishing boat (Tran 22' with a 200 Evinrude) and went south to the "land cut". They have a floating fish cabin about 40 miles by water south from Corpus, down the IntraCoastal, past Baffin bay. We like to fish in Nine Mile Hole. Fishing was slow, I only got one under-sized trout (threw back), and a 1ft sting ray. Ugh. They got a couple black drum and a keeper trout while I took a nap. A sailor named Bill moored his 32 ft older sailboat across from us, and came over for dinner. He was heading up from South Texas, heading for Palacios. We had t-bones, rib-eyes, champagne, salad, and potatoes. Fishing was slow, and it rained, but the food was good :) I'm going to Boston this week, will get some good seafood, and then I'll fly back and take Olepi out next weekend. Weather now is in the 60-70's, water temp is in the mid-60's, and wind is mostly 10-20 from the ne-e-se. Cloudy with rain, I'm hoping next weekend is clear. Bill remarked that the Intra-coastal is too narrow to sail in, and he was going to have to motor up. Not enough room to take the sails down, solo. I want to look into roller-reefing systems for the jib. Bill P ------ Port Aransas, Texas

Feb 28, 2005
- - Port Aransas, Tx
Tomorrow looks good!

I just flew in from New Hampshire, it was cold, and snow!! I mean, lots of snow!! I am driving down tomorrow to Port A, and will take Olepi (a 1983 C22) out for some sea trials. The wind is forecast for 15-20 knots from the south, and seas 2-3 feet offshore within 20 miles. Day temp in the upper 70's, night temp in the mid 60's. Sounds good! Things I still haven't tried yet: - either of the two jibs - the bimini (gonna be full sun, put on sunscreen and get in the shade) - the electrical system (I hope to sleep on the boat, anchored up in a mangrove swamp, with a light out at night to fish by) - off-shore sailing, I expect to go about 2-3 miles offshore, for this first test - cooking on board - sleeping two on the boat, a buddy from work (mostly non-sailor) is coming I'm thinking that with 20knot breezes, and full sail, we may have a fun time :) Bill P ----- Port Aransas, Tx

Feb 28, 2005
- - Port Aransas, Tx
A good weekend

This weekend was great! I took a friend and he picked up sailing right away. On Sat, wind was 15-20kts from the south, and gusty; temp about 72 and full sun. We hoisted the main and went straight out the Port A jetties into the Gulf, seas were predicted to be 3-5 feet. I guess we went about 2-3 miles off-shore, and then came back. Olepi did great in the open swells, the C22 is a nice stable boat. Dodged about 5-6 tankers and numerous workboats, fishing boats, and barges. The wind stayed at 20 most of the night, and my anchor turned out to be too small. Had to go back and sleep at the marina; night temp in the mid 60's. Perfect. My friend slept in my truck's camper, and I was comfy in the boat. I'm 6'1" and 210lbs, so I need room. Sunday morning we cooked bacon and eggs, with coffee, on the stove. I have the pull-out galley option, and I am using a propane camp stove. Worked great :) South wind at 10-15 let us sail out of the marina and we just cruised back and forth in the main CC channel. We had replaced the outhaul, and got a great sail shape; fully powered with just the main, mostly; but I tried out the 110 jib and we started really moving. We were rounded up several times, and still getting gusts close to 20kts. We saw a lot of sailboats headed out towards the Gulf on Sunday, and a Catalina 320 was just smoking this larger sailboat, probably about 35 ft. They both had full sail up ... I was tempted to come about and chase them, but, naw ... they both woulda smoked me :) The dolphins were doing somersaults in the bow waves of the tankers, and came up to 5ft from us. It was a great day. Bill P ------ Port Aransas, Tx

Feb 28, 2005
- - Port Aransas, Tx
Another good weekend - Lightning!

Went down this weekend, weather was around 70 degress, with south wind 10-15. A nice sailing day; it clouded up in the afternoon. Sat night we had a lightning storm, complete with thunder and hail. Pretty interesting sleeping in the boat when it is hail and lightning outside! What is the danger, being on the boat when it is lighning outside? Bill P ------ Port Aransas, Tx

Status
Not open for further replies.