Mid ship cleat

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
Genius. How strong do you think that folding cleat is? That would be my only worry.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
They are 316 stainless and feel strong time will tell ,that was another reason for not drilling into boat ,just incase they turn out to be crap. However I think the way they are made I don't see any problems

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Beautiful solution. I've seen folding deck mounted cleats that look similar. I would guess you'll have the toerail fail before the cleat does.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I see, it is the mounting blocks you made, not the cleats themselves. They look great and appropriately overbuilt. Have you electronically isolated the aluminum from the steel to prevent electrolysis?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Actually no I did not , I don't think it will be problematic. I've worked with metals for 40 years and have never seen really bad electrolysis . The toe rail is aluminum to aluminum and there is lots of stainless bolts rivets thru aluminum on mast ,bow roller etc and I'm in fresh water.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks solid to me. Nice metal work. There is a strong bend in the line through the chock. Will be interesting to see if that becomes a chafe point. I look forward to your posts over time.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Nice job!

a. Why aren't cleats rated for strength? Seems obvious.
b. Most chocks feature a tight bend that reduce rope strength 50% or more. Some of the most elegant designs avoid the use of chocks by positioning the cleats intelligently. My last boat didn't use chocks. All the cleats were at the edge.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Most chocks feature a tight bend that reduce rope strength 50% or more. Some of the most elegant designs avoid the use of chocks by positioning the cleats intelligently.
A tight bend is a tight bend, whether around a chock or around a cleat.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I guess I could of mounted on the outside of the of the toe rail eliminating the bend .I have since threaded the rope thru pvc hose to help with chafe and there is a roller where it goes thru

Mar 16, 2009
Hunter Vision-36 Richmond
We want midsheet cleats on our First 35s5. I may copy your design. Very elegant solution. I'll never understand why they didn't install midsheet cleats. So useful.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
A tight bend is a tight bend, whether around a chock or around a cleat. QUOTE]

When I bought my B323, I was in a sailing club that does raft-ups every other weeekend or so, and mid-ships cleats are a must for the spring lines. I added O.E.M. deck cleats from the Beneteau parts site. Backing plates were 3/8"

Attachments

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
A little update ,I have had no problems whatsoever ,no chafe and have used this cleat to stop the boat dead coming into the slip numerous times this season. The boat is over 12,000 lbs

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby