Mid-ship cleat location for O'Day 34/35

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Looking for suggestions as to the best place to install mid-ship cleats on my O'Day 34.

Thanks,

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Thanks for the info Stu. I'm resisting installing them on the jib sheet tracks as they are inboard and the spring lines would have to be routed between the stanchions and prefer to have them as much outboard as possible.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would put my mid ship cleats aligned with the red line as shown on this image of an O'Day 34.
Note it is located in line with the mast base, between the shrouds and in front of the hull mid bulge. This locations works with the boat shape and center of gravity to provide the benefits generated by a spring line.
IMG_0198.jpeg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Thanks for the info Stu. I'm resisting installing them on the jib sheet tracks as they are inboard and the spring lines would have to be routed between the stanchions and prefer to have them as much outboard as possible.
I only have inboard tracks and my cleats are at the forward end working just fine for 25 years. You learn how to route them between the stanchions. John's suggestions are much too far forward.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My 322 has had mid-ship cleats added. There is a spacer to raise it up to the toe rail.

if you blow this up, you can see the location by the end of the spinnaker pole.

IMG_3129.jpeg

Greg

• Helpful
May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Thanks for the images and info. Since I'm re-coring my deck (So It Begins: Deck Recoring Project) , I figure that this is the best time to install a midship cleat. Lots of info suggest that placement at the widest point, which kinda makes sense to me, however I hadn't considered taking into account the boat's center of gravity, which also makes sense. My main application is for a fore and aft spring line whilst in a slip with a secondary use for controlling the boat entering/leaving the slip.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Scott. There are several theories on the location.

My choice is to get the spot near the pivot point. on the boat. (I know I used the term center of gravity, but pivot point is probably a better term.)

Placing it forward of the widest point on the hull, I find has helped me more easily get the bow to snug inward when I use the spring for maneuvering (on or off a side tie). I have not found the location of the cleat to be detrimental when tying the boat up at the slip. I position my fenders where they hold the widest part of the boat hull off the dock. That is area the boat pivots on when against the dock. I control my spring line running to the dock and then to the back into the cockpit. Tension pulls the bow towards the dock. Easing the line lets the boat bow rotate out away from the dock.

That is my system. There are others just as good.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
My main application is for a fore and aft spring line whilst in a slip with a secondary use for controlling the boat entering/leaving the slip.
You will find that with use you have those priorities reversed.

Placing it forward of the widest point on the hull, I find has helped me more easily get the bow to snug inward when I use the spring for maneuvering (on or off a side tie).
The reality in use is that the amount of forward throttle and the turn of the rudder are far more determinate control methods than the specific location of the cleat itself.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Once again, thanks for all the input. Seems that the consonance is mid-hull to forward a bit. New issue as Stu pointed out is that the cleats will have to be raised about an inch in order to clear what little toe rail I have. I supposed in lieu of that I could put a stainless steel strake over the teak to mitigate chafe, but the horns would be a bit tougher to lasso.

I can see why many have opted for track mounting mid-ship cleats.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I think you should consider either track mounted or cut out a slot in the toe rail and mount them as far outbourd where you can still thru bolt with backing plates. Putting them in the deck mid-ship creates a bad tripping hazard at worse or a severe toe stubber at best. Track mounted still has a tripping hazard with the spring line. They should have been designed into the boat. I’ve always wished I had them as well.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Maybe you could fit a chock where the slot in the toe rail is to let water run out? Then mount the cleat right up to the toe rail mounted like the stanchions.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I would place a fixed cleat in line with the center of effort of the boat... Basically slightly aft of the center of the keel.

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
My cleat is mounted without any type of block to make it higher, but I do have metal protectors on the toe rail for dock lines. Has been working fine.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
My cleat is mounted without any type of block to make it higher, but I do have metal protectors on the toe rail for dock lines. Has been working fine.
Thanks, good to know. I was considering doing the same using strakes on the toe rail. Approximately how far from the toe rail has the cleat been mounted?

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
I'll try to get a better picture of the location and post it for you...