Mid-October Sailing in Chicago

Oct 9, 2013
Beneteau First 38 Belmont Harbor
Hi all,

Still holding on to summer here in Chicago. We were out sailing Friday, Saturday, & Sunday this past weekend on Lake Michigan. Sunday’s high temperature was 60 F, SE winds of 15 knots with gusts at ~20, waves of 2 to 4 ft.

We were out sailing on our Beneteau First 38 and friends were in their Formosa 43. Great end of summer sailing weather. Lots of pics. Here is a pic of our First 38 courtesy of friends on the Formosa 43 & a 2nd pic of crew member "Edison".

Pic attached is from Saturday when conditions were a bit calmer.

Attachments

Last edited:

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
It's been the same here on Lake Ontario. I've been having some of the best sailing of the year. Winds of 10-15 knts, waves 1-3 feet, temps in the 60's and sunny. Sure glad I didn't put away the boat yet.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
There are always some absolutely fantastic sailing days on Lake Michigan in October. Its the days in between that can get a little nasty. I just read a short piece on mlive.com yesterday that showed a graphic of the great lakes water temperatures. It showed temps already in the high 40s in the deepest part of the lake.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
We got out Saturday and Sunday as well for the season-end cruise. Beautiful weather and calm seas on the Huron side of the state. Unfortunately, 50 degree water makes any MOB situation really dangerous. We decomissioned at the end of the Sunday sail -- very sad. For those southern boaters, it's like fresh flowers - beautiful because it is rare and fleeting.

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
Hello Doug.
I purchased a new main sail for my First 38 (tri radial like yours), but did not have numbers or logo attached to it and would like to do that now. Where did you get the beneteau logo for the sail? Any suggestions concerning placement of the logo and numbers?