Mid-boom sheeting/loose footed main

MikeyJ

Dec 15, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Carlyle Lake
Many are going with loose footed mains. Is that advisable for a boom that is designed for a bolt rope sail and mid-sheet. Instead of spreading the load of the sail along the whole boom it is now all on the end. ls there any possibility of bending the boom. I can see this would be fine with a end of boom sheeting.

Kopite

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 27 Monroe MI
I understand the concern, but I have no issue with mine at all, been like that for 5 seasons. The Cat 27 boom is however very robust.

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
I for one think the boom on the 23.5 is wayyy overbuilt and can handle the extra strain. I took the boltrope from my mainsail out of the channel and have been sailing with it loosefooted and the performance has been noticeably better!
-Z

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If your boom is a Z Spar, contact U S Spars in Gainesville, Fl and talk with them as their masts and booms are the same stock as Z Spar in France. I will ask @DrJudyB who is a retired sailmaker to comment. Personally, I have not heard of any issues using a foot loose main but hopefully others will chime in. Former Hunter dealer

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think the H23.5 and the H26 use the same diameter boom.... I switched to a loose foot sail and have had no problems. BTW: It really is the better way to set a sail. The outhaul now becomes a very useful sail trim control.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
A loose footed sail will not alter the load on the boom in any significant way, compared to a mainsail foot that's attached to the boom all along the foot. There's almost no load at the middle of the foot. It's all concentrated at the clew and the tack corners. The sail doesn't contribute measurably to the bending resistance of the boom.

A loose footed sail will let you flatten the draft in the bottom 1/3 of the mainsail directly. The boom needs to have an adjustable outhaul to take advantage of this ability.

Judy B

Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
I have switched to a loose footed main on my h260 two years ago and only positives. You have some more options for trimming the main which has made me a better sailor and my solo sails are much funner.