mid-boom rigging for a '68 Javelin?

May 18, 2021
O'Day Javelin Barnegat Bay, LBI
Hi all, still new to the site. Sorry for the long post but looking for help: bought a '68 Javelin, my upgrade from many years of sailing a sunfish - more space to get my wife out on the water with me. Loving it so far this summer, learning a lot about how it sails - but I've got a rigging question. When I got it, it was rigged incorrectly, as I now realize - see picture for a chuckle. It had a traveler, like a sunfish, a line over the transom that was tied off to the blocks on either side of the stern. The main sheet came off the end of the boom, through a set of interlocking blocks and passed back and forth across the traveler. That was all wrong for many reasons. I found the manual online, realized it should be a crosby rig, re-ran the main the way it's supposed to be, should be all good now. BUT - I also see some pictures online of Javelins with mid-boom rigging, including people who seem to switch it up depending on conditions. Two questions - do I need a different block on the centerboard housing than the original? Seems like people use a block that uses up a lot of the extra main sheet, wrapping it a few times, so it's not just sitting by your feet (and maybe get more purchase sheeting in the main?). And second, looks like people who do mid-boom also have a boom vang. I see a ring at the base of the mast, under the deck (my friend keeps telling me that's impossible, that a boom vang goes to the mast under the gooseneck, but I've showed him the pictures of other Javelins) - the problem is I can't figure out what I need to connect it to the boom. The boom has a little key-shaped notch - but what bit of rig goes into that notch to tie the vang? Thanks for any help!

Attachments

May 18, 2021
O'Day Javelin Barnegat Bay, LBI
thanks, sail sfbay. That's the same manual I downloaded. Oddly enough it shows the boom vang connecting to the mast under the gooseneck but that's not what you see if you look for people sailing older javelins on youtube - the connection is at the base of the mast under the deck - though as has been pointed out to me, that won't allow the boom to swing all that much if you tense it. The part I really seem to be missing is what goes in the notch on the underside of the boom a foot or two behind the mast, and that's not described in the manual. I'll keep digging around online though.