Miami to Marblehead Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Len Markir

We just returned from Dinner Key Marina in Coconut Grove, FL (Miami). The boat is a 1990 Oceanis 430 named 'Oceana'. We left on Sat 13 May and decided to take what the weather allowed on the trip north. The crew totaled 5 persons, including myself, the Owner. One of the persons is also a Beneteau owner and saw my notice for crew several months' ago on this website. Gene was a wonderful person to have on board and made a great contribution. We left with hot, hot, humid weather and a beam reach to take advantage of the Gulf Stream, which gave us about 2 1/2 knots boost northward. Because we had no SSB or the ability to get weatherfax information other than NOAA on the VHF radio, each day we had a contingency plan to divert to a harbor of refuge, if required. As it turned out, we were able to stay in the Stream and stay outside all the way past Cape Hatteras until we were at a Lattitude even with Atlantic City, NJ. Then the weather went against us and we headed for New York City. We went thru Hell Gate, Long Island Sound and stopped for a weather lay day at Block Island. Then we continued to Marblehead, MA and made the total journey in 10 1/2 days. We had a variety of weather, with up to thirty knot winds and ten foot seas on the bow, the beam and from the stern. I want to thank this website for the opportunity to place the cruising notice, where I got several replies. If anyone is interested in more details of our journey, or how the boat fared throughout, I would be happy to correspond with you. Thanks Len Markir

Status
Not open for further replies.