methyl hydrate

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
hi everyone, quick question, I can't find alcohol for my stove, would methyl hydrate be a good substitute ?
if not what do you all recommend?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Stove fuel is denatured alcohol (ethanol) and is usually available at a hardware store. Methyl hydrate (methanol) will burn, however the BTU. content is about ⅔'s that of ethanol.

• Helpful
Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
You won’t find “denatured” alcohol in Canada - usually called “Methylated Spirits” here but still difficult to find. Methyl hydrate is commonly used - but be aware the fumes are poisonous - use only in well ventilated spaces. Liquid fondue fuel is also a possibility, expensive but usually less toxic than methyl hydrate.

• Helpful
Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Cool wasn’t sure that stuff would work or not, I’ll go buy some

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
I had looked at that bio ethanol - it is a form of denatured alcohol - but not the same as what is usually referred to so didn’t want to recommend it. On reading it’s notes it is intended to give an orange flame rather than the blue or invisible one normally associated with clean burning alcohol. Depending on the ratios of ethanol to isopropyl you may get less heat and possibly get the soot that is associated with burning isopropyl.

Fred - if it works well for you let us know as this question does come up regularly for Canadians.

This site gives a good comparison of alcohol fuels types for use in stoves.

Also want to mention methylated spirits are not the same as mineral spirits in Canada which contain petroleum products which would likely require different burners on the OPs stove.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I had looked at that bio ethanol - it is a form of denatured alcohol - but not the same as what is usually referred to so didn’t want to recommend it. On reading it’s notes it is intended to give an orange flame rather than the blue or invisible one normally associated with clean burning alcohol. Depending on the ratios of ethanol to isopropyl you may get less heat and possibly get the soot that is associated with burning isopropyl....
Same heat. More soot BECAUSE of the isopropyl. That is what they add to make the flame more visible.
  • Methanol. No soot. Oriogo does not recomend methanol, but I'm not clear on why (the company that owns the tech now does not have this prohibition).
  • Ethanol. No soot unless the denaturants cause some. And some do.
  • Isopropyl. More soot.
The heavier the alcohol, the more soot and the more heat. Of course, the soot rinses right off. It's just dust and does not contain an oil component. This is different from kerosene soot.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Since the alcohol "stove fuel" at the $$ "marine" store is so expensive, we have been buying gallon cans of alcohol at the local hardware stores for 30 years. Always in stock. It's in the painting supplies section.