Merriman Hardware replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fred G

I have a 1980 Hunter 30. Their is a spring mounted pulley on the deck that guides the main sheet from the tackle assembly to the cockpit. The pully is made by Merriman and has disentigrated. I would like to replace it with something that at least matches the bolt holes on the deck so I don't have to redrill. Any recommednations?

E

Ed Schenck

Garhauer.

Know just the part you are talking about. You could measure the bolt pattern and then give Garhauer a jingle. Maybe Rig-rite also.

B

Bill Ebling

Rebuild?

Its not clear to me what the "spring mounted pulley" is, but it sounds to me like your talking about a stand up block that is acting as fair lead. If its only the sheeve that has degraded, AND... depending on the block load, you may be able to replace the sheeve for cheap and reuse the carcus. I have rebuilt merriman blocks with degraded sheeves in the past. The right size generic delrin sheeve with metal bushing that will fit merriman blocks can generally be found at West Marine or other suppliers for under 3 bucks. The axels on many merriman blocks look something like a clivis pins that has been peened over one of the cheeks. Drill out the peened over axel with a drill press (like drilling out a rivet), pop in the new sheeve, and replace the axel with the same size/length clevis pin locking in place with a cotter (under 2 bucks). I've had no problems with refurbished blocks in light load, non-critical applications. Note: It is unlikely that the retaining cotter will ever be as strong as the original peen over especially if the cheeks can experiance a lot of lateral torque. I wouldn't do this on a critical high load block....Be Careful.. Use Judgement Garhauser prices are very reasonable if you decide to replace

F

Fred G

Thanks you guys!

Just wanted to say thanks to both of you for replying. I would like to use the boat soon, so I think I would be better off just buying an new assembly, and drilling the holes in the deck. I have 0 experience filling holes, but I guess I will learn. Are there any "preferred" hole filling products?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Stand up block?

Fred: Are you talking about a stand up block with a spring? If that is what it is you should be able to purchase just the block and spring (or puchase the entire assy) and use the existing deck fitting. There was a post last week on plugging holes. I had a similar situation several years ago with a deck organizer. I just filled the holes with caulk. The new organizer went over the old holes so there was little chance of any water infiltration. If you new fitting is not going to cover the old holes, then you just need to mask the area with masking tape and fill the old holes with epoxy. Be sure to fit your new piece before you start, you may find that some or all of the holes may fit (if you get lucky).

F

Fred G

I lucked out !!

Thanks again for your advice. I ordered a Schaffer standup block that used smaller bolts than the merriman. Because of this I was able to use the old bolt pattern. It seems to work fine. I just added much larger washers on the bottom for added strength and piece of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.