Meriman Pedestal

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe McKenna

I have a 1986 Hunter 28.5 and the transmission linkage is broken in the pedestal. Does anyone know where I can get parts for the Meriman pedestal that Hunter used in 1986? The part that is broken is the middle part of the pedestal thats 2" hight by 7" wide that has the throttle and shift on it. I think it's plastic. Please help!!! A new pedestal is about $500.00 to $700.00 with installation

E

Eric

Fix

I have had relative success with fixing broken plastic parts on my 28.5, i.e. hatch dogs etc with epoxy putty. It can be molded into shape and sets up fairly quickly. Make sure you rough up the surface it is going on. Be generous and spread it over a large surface. After it sets up I would go over it with straight epoxy and maybe a little cloth. It ain't pretty but who is going to be looking there? Good luck.

T

Tim Op't Holt

Pedestal part

I had the same problem, and called Hunter. They referred me to Constance Machine shop. Their phone number is 425-438-1161. It's in the Northwest. They bought the mold from Merriman, and make the part from aluminum. I received mine and installed it. Works perfectly. I think it was $160.

R

Ray Squires

Alternate Fix

I had the same part break on my boat. It snapped where the long piece that holds the cable sleeve is bolted. Hunter told me about being able to get the replacement part as mentioned on another post, but I didn't want to tackle dealing with all the wires running through that piece to the guages. I went to a machine shop and had a special L bracket made. I attached one part of the L to the flat plastic area and used the other leg as a new mounting point for the cable bracket. It has worked so far, but I'd like to make a metal plate to add support to that plastic area. One nice thing about this fix is the last step was to push a carriage bolt straight up through the L (square hole) and the plastic land area and put a nut on the bolt. This probably doesn't make senxe unless you are looking at the area, but if you have been in there, you know that working with a wrench down in the pedestal is not a fun experience. The location I used put the nut in an open area with no need to put a wrench on the bolt underneath to tighten (carrige bolt). If this is impossible to understand, but sounds like something you might want to try, Email me and we can go through it some more. Good Luck, Ray drsquires@aol.com

J

Joe McKenna

Thanks Tim

I called Constance Marine and ordered the part and it was 160.00 just like you said. The part has arrived and it looks great!!!! Thank you for you input you have saved me a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.