Mercury 9.9 Hurting my Season: Advice Needed

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
No fuel cap vent? Odd. Unscrew and check the condition of your fuel tank drop-tube. The Attwood tubes are extremely thin-walled, become brittle, crack and suck vapor above the fuel level.

Aug 14, 2013
MacGregor 26S High Desert
No fuel cap vent? Odd. Unscrew and check the condition of your fuel tank drop-tube. The Attwood tubes are extremely thin-walled, become brittle, crack and suck vapor above the fuel level.
Nope, one of the newer style tanks. Pick up tube and check ball have been checked.

I promise I'll update this thread once I install the on-demand valve, reposition the bulb, and replace the fuel connector with a Mercury OEM. Life has been busy and it may be a bit yet before I get back to the boat. Thanks again for all the help!

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Another factoid on orientation of the bulb. I use a fuel hose with a bulb to siphon diesel fuel from 5 gallon jugs into my tank. I get the siphon started by using the squeeze bulb. The other day I was doing this and I couldn't get the siphon started with the bulb oriented facing down or horizontally. I then placed it so it was vertical at the mouth of the jug with the arrow pointing up and with two pumps it pumped fuel and started the siphon, so there is definitely an advantage to the orientation. This is not to discredit other posts here about air leaks and such, but this experiment really showed a difference in performance of the bulb.

Apr 5, 2015
Islander 26 Little Creek Navy Base
Great thread. Been around engines all my life and still pick up on little tips and ideas from threads like this one.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
I'm going with getting the bulb vertical. I had similar problems and went through three hoses and two tanks before figuring this out. The other perennial problem I've had is that the plastic gizmo that holds the emergency stop button out vibrates out of position a little so it looks like it's working but isn't. If it weren't for safety measures my engines would be perfect.