Mercury 6 HP is made by Tohatsu?

Jul 24, 2022
Catalina 22 #6127 Dallas, TX
I am trying to find a Tohatsu 6 HP Sail Pro and there are none to be found. Then a guy tells me the Mercury 6 HP is the same motor (made by Tohatsu). Can anyone confirm this?

James in Dallas

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Yes Tohatsu makes the small mercury motors. They have for ages. They also make the small Nissan ones.

That said, I don't know if they sell the Mercury models in the same configuration as the Tohatsu sail pro ... ie Long shaft with High thrust prop.

I don't doubt that if a.merc dealer can find a long shaft 6h mercury for you, they could install a similar high thrust prop.
Or you could buy the Tohatsu Sailpro pro and install it.

Are looking for new or used ?

Jul 24, 2022
Hello Leeward Rail,

Thanks for your reply.

I've been thinking new, but would consider used. I must have called 10 Tohatsu dealers today and nobody had any stock. Popular motor.

The thing about the Tohatsu is it has an alternator that the Merc doesn't have.... Not as far as I can tell at any rate.

And I had a Merc dealer today say that yes, Mercury does have a 6 HP designed for sailboats called a "Sailmaster" or some such like.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The thing about the Tohatsu is it has an alternator that the Merc doesn't have.... Not as far as I can tell at any rate.
Besides the high thrust prop, and long shaft... Alternator output is a feature of the Sailpro version. Hopefully the Mercury Sailpower has it too.

Worst case the Magneto parts from the tohatsu should fit. Unless something has changed in the last 2 years, the only real difference is the stickers on the engine.cover.

That said, if.you read the threads here, the 6hp can push a 22ft hull easily. We rarely used ours past half throttle. (Idle when in the marina). That output is dependant on RPM so you don't often get full rated amp output, if ever.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I purchased a new 6 hp Tohatsu sail pro from OnlineOutboards.com about 4 months ago. When I went to the site they were on back order so I placed my name on the "please notify" list. About 6 weeks later, got an Email from them, ordered the motor right away and it was delivered to my door with in 5 days. No shipping charge. If you want that particular motor, don't settle for something else. I've purchase 2 motors from Online Outboards, good prices, no shipping fee, quick delivery.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg

Online outboards has the long shaft and.ultra long shaft Sailpro in-stock right now.

While the engines are made by the same people, the fact that the tohatsu Sailpro comes with a larger prop (8 vs 3 inch), an 3 gallon external tank (vs 0.3 gallon internal), is 6hp (vs 5hp), a 5 year (vs 3 year) warranty and also available as a 25 inch ultra long shaft... I figure the Sailpro is a no brainer... Especially when onlineoutboards.com.has them in stock.

I bought mine online from.them. no problems.

Jul 24, 2022
Online outboards has the long shaft and.ultra long shaft Sailpro in-stock right now.

While the engines are made by the same people, the fact that the tohatsu Sailpro comes with a larger prop (8 vs 3 inch), an 3 gallon external tank (vs 0.3 gallon internal), is 6hp (vs 5hp), a 5 year (vs 3 year) warranty and also available as a 25 inch ultra long shaft... I figure the Sailpro is a no brainer... Especially when onlineoutboards.com.has them in stock.

I bought mine online from.them. no problems.
Ahhh, that's great to know. Thanks for that.

The ridiculous part is I bought a Catalina 22 last Sunday, ordered a Tohatsu Sailpro from onlineoutboards.com Monday evening, and then Monday night on Craigslist I see the boat of my dreams (LOL) and Tuesday morning cancelled the Tohatsu!!!!!!!!! man, I've got boat fever something bad.

So right now I've got a 1976 Cat 22 in the driveway, and an appointment to look at a 1980 Pearson 26 on Friday morning lol

Jul 24, 2022
I purchased a new 6 hp Tohatsu sail pro from OnlineOutboards.com about 4 months ago. When I went to the site they were on back order so I placed my name on the "please notify" list. About 6 weeks later, got an Email from them, ordered the motor right away and it was delivered to my door with in 5 days. No shipping charge. If you want that particular motor, don't settle for something else. I've purchase 2 motors from Online Outboards, good prices, no shipping fee, quick delivery.
Thanks for replying Joe, that is great to know.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
and then Monday night on Craigslist I see the boat of my dreams (LOL)
Been there somewhat. Last fall bought a C&C 30 without planning to... This spring in our marina, a well equipped Hallman Horizon 27 in very good condition went up for sale at the same price. The Admiral says I can't have a fleet.

Fortunately our Catalina 22 sold 2 weeks ago.. also without planning to sell it. If they didn't require yearly maintenance I would have kept it.

Jul 24, 2022
Been there somewhat. Last fall bought a C&C 30 without planning to... This spring in our marina, a well equipped Hallman Horizon 27 in very good condition went up for sale at the same price. The Admiral says I can't have a fleet.

Fortunately our Catalina 22 sold 2 weeks ago.. also without planning to sell it. If they didn't require yearly maintenance I would have kept it.
So right now I'm trying to talk my buddy into buying this Cat 22 from me, and then if she looks good, I'll buy the Pearson on Friday :):):)

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
I've heard tohatsu makes the small outboards for everyone as well.

Really just wanted to jump in and give another recommendation for onlineoutboards, I bought a 15hp zuke for my dinghy last year through them and they were great. Fast to ship and they gladly answered a thousand questions for me.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Former 30 year Tohatsu dealer retired in 2010. You asked what brands Tohatsu built.

Mariner, small Mercury and Nissan besides their own name brand. Hope this helps

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I bought mine two years ago. Mercury 5 hp sail pro: long shaft, high thrust prop, little alternator- lette that I’ve never actually installed, propane fuel.