Merc/Nissan/Tohatsu 6HP Lot Of Complaints, What About 8HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2009
Catalina 309 #168 kentucky lake
I have been reading several different reviews regarding Merc/Nissan/Tohatsu 6-8 hp "4 stroke" outboards. A lot of people are not happy with the 6hp 4-stroke because of lack of power and reliability.

I just bought a 2011 Tohatsu 8 hp 4-stroke but haven't been able to find much on reviews compared to the 1 cyl. 6hp.

I'm hoping I can't find much on reviews because people tend to express their discontent rather than content, fingers crossed.

I will be using the 8hp for a 100 lb. inflatable and it should plane easily. I had a similar inflatable with a Mariner 8 hp 2 stroke in the early 90's and loved it. This is my 1st experience with a 4-stroke and I will disconnect the gas line and let it run dry after each use as many of you have suggested.

Comments on the 8 hp. appreciated.

Here is just 1 link regarding the 6hp 4 stroke:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/36963-nissan-tohatsu-6h-4-stroke.html

Regards,

Sigbear

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Re: Merc/Nissan/Tohatsu 6HP Lot Of Complaints, What About 8H

We have a Nissan 5 HP long shaft that is for the dinghy and is a backup for the Mac. We bought it used and love it. No complaints. It would get our 9 ft. Zodiac on plane with just one person on board, but not 2. That isn't really a concern for us. I changed to a lower pitch prop since I wanted a better prop on it if it was used on the MacGregor and that didn't hurt performance with 2 in the inflatable and it will push the Mac into a 20+ mph headwind at 5 knots on about 1/2 throttle.

I raised the ....

....transom on the inflatable to make the long shaft work better.

Last spring we bought a 9.8 HP Tohatsu extra-long shaft to replace a Honda 8 HP on the Mac and love it so far. We used it for 70 miles or so on the Florida trip we just took. It always started right up and with a 4 blade high thrust 7 pitch (came with a 4 blade 5 pitch high thrust) pushed the Mac along at 5-6 knots on maybe 1/3 throttle and got good mileage, around 11-12 mpg as far as I could figure.

We bought the extra-long shaft so that.......

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/outside-25.html

.... we could raise it 5 inches and move it back just a little on a new removable bracket I made. This way it is in the water as deep as a long shaft, but it will rotate fully and it is easier to reach the controls as it is higher. Still since Ruth runs the outboard most of the time and has shorter arms than I do I .....

.....modified all of the controls so that she can reach them easier. The best mod was making a bracket that connects the rudder tiller to the outboard tiller in about 15 seconds. Now she can maneuver in tight places and the two work together and no more running the prop into the rudder. Here is a link to all of that, just go down the page a ways.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-index.html

and links to YouTube showing how the above works.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UYc2ZHehS8&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COMAPYd5WTg&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sWbLBGc1Is&feature=channel

One last advantage of the extra-long shaft and removable mount is the mount comes off with 4 nuts and then the outboard could be dropped down 5 inches on the transom if needed at any time depending on water conditions.

Ok, sorry, got off topic as usual. I haven't seen the complaints about the 4-6 HP, but have read some on the 8-9 HP and most relate to the carb. With new emission standards the idle circuits on the carb are one, none adjustable, and two the passages are very small and very easy to clog with debris. I think some have come from the factory in this shape. Removing and cleaning the carb isn't a big deal, but I can see where some people wouldn't feel comfortable with it. I didn't have to do anything to ours so far. Ran great right out of the box.

I did install a 19 gallon tank...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/outside-35.html

.... in the Lazarette and at the same time put on a good ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/outside-36.html

.....filter with a water separator on it as we might have to put ethanol blended fuel at some point. I would run a filter on yours if at all possible.

Would we buy another Tohatsu (Nissan, Mercury)? Definitely in fact soon we will buy a 3 1/2 HP long shaft to replace the 5 HP on the dinghy. I'm getting older and it will be a lot easier putting the 40 lb. outboard on and off vs. the 60 lb. one and since it is a long shaft I'm confident we could use it on the Mac in an emergency if needed to push it some place.

Good luck,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Apr 3, 2008
Nonsuch Ultra 30 Gulfport, FL

When I had a Rhodes 22 I had a 9.8 Tohatsu electric start and loved it. I did get the remote kit and did the change to a single lever in the cockpit control and like Sumner I also had a tiller to rudder attachment. I second Sumners advice about a filter with a visible bulb to separate any HOH.

Sum, thanks for getting back to me with regards to the solar panel.

Jun 17, 2007
MacGregor Mac26S Victoria Tx
Sumner, a suggestion

I would strongly suggest (if you haven't done it already) you have Ruth stitch up a cover for the fuel filter. That clear bowl will allow UV rays to turn that sitting fuel to yuck. (over times of non-use) I found out the hard way about fuel deterioration. Even Stabil or Seafoam didn't stop it from turning. I have my filter in the lazarret

We have a Nissan 5 HP long shaft that is for the dinghy and is a backup for the Mac. We bought it used and love it. No complaints. It would get our 9 ft. Zodiac on plane with just one person on board, but not 2. That isn't really a concern for us. I changed to a lower pitch prop since I wanted a better prop on it if it was used on the MacGregor and that didn't hurt performance with 2 in the inflatable and it will push the Mac into a 20+ mph headwind at 5 knots on about 1/2 throttle.

I raised the ....

....transom on the inflatable to make the long shaft work better.

Last spring we bought a 9.8 HP Tohatsu extra-long shaft to replace a Honda 8 HP on the Mac and love it so far. We used it for 70 miles or so on the Florida trip we just took. It always started right up and with a 4 blade high thrust 7 pitch (came with a 4 blade 5 pitch high thrust) pushed the Mac along at 5-6 knots on maybe 1/3 throttle and got good mileage, around 11-12 mpg as far as I could figure.

We bought the extra-long shaft so that.......

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/outside-25.html

.... we could raise it 5 inches and move it back just a little on a new removable bracket I made. This way it is in the water as deep as a long shaft, but it will rotate fully and it is easier to reach the controls as it is higher. Still since Ruth runs the outboard most of the time and has shorter arms than I do I .....

.....modified all of the controls so that she can reach them easier. The best mod was making a bracket that connects the rudder tiller to the outboard tiller in about 15 seconds. Now she can maneuver in tight places and the two work together and no more running the prop into the rudder. Here is a link to all of that, just go down the page a ways.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-index.html

and links to YouTube showing how the above works.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UYc2ZHehS8&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COMAPYd5WTg&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sWbLBGc1Is&feature=channel

One last advantage of the extra-long shaft and removable mount is the mount comes off with 4 nuts and then the outboard could be dropped down 5 inches on the transom if needed at any time depending on water conditions.

Ok, sorry, got off topic as usual. I haven't seen the complaints about the 4-6 HP, but have read some on the 8-9 HP and most relate to the carb. With new emission standards the idle circuits on the carb are one, none adjustable, and two the passages are very small and very easy to clog with debris. I think some have come from the factory in this shape. Removing and cleaning the carb isn't a big deal, but I can see where some people wouldn't feel comfortable with it. I didn't have to do anything to ours so far. Ran great right out of the box.

I did install a 19 gallon tank...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/outside-35.html

.... in the Lazarette and at the same time put on a good ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/outside-36.html

.....filter with a water separator on it as we might have to put ethanol blended fuel at some point. I would run a filter on yours if at all possible.

Would we buy another Tohatsu (Nissan, Mercury)? Definitely in fact soon we will buy a 3 1/2 HP long shaft to replace the 5 HP on the dinghy. I'm getting older and it will be a lot easier putting the 40 lb. outboard on and off vs. the 60 lb. one and since it is a long shaft I'm confident we could use it on the Mac in an emergency if needed to push it some place.

Good luck,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
8hp Tohatsu

Three years ago three of my friends decided to do the Loop, all three choose the 8hp Tohatsu. During the trip one of motors had a minor problem (if one could call it that) a pin hole developed in the diaphragm. All three motors are still in use and still have no problems. Oh, Tohatsu overnighted a fuel pump to the stranded owner.

I have a 5hp four stroke Nissan I've owned since 2003, routine maintenance is kept up to date so far I've had -0- problems with it. A friend bought a 4hp Mercury he did have a carburetor problem after a year (jets too small) he upgraded to the 6hp carburetor two years ago and has since had no problems.

Apr 26, 2009
8 hp Tohatsu

Since I am going to use the 8 hp Tohatsu on a 100 lb. inflatable with 2, 150 lb. adults and a 50lb dog would you suggest replacing the prop for a better performance prop? and if so, what size?. I just don't know much about outboards.

Thanks,

Sigbear

Jan 22, 2008
Coastal Recreation Aquarius 23 Phoenix AZ
Tohatsu 6hp

<<I have been reading several different reviews regarding Merc/Nissan/Tohatsu 6-8 hp "4 stroke" outboards. A lot of people are not happy with the 6hp 4-stroke because of lack of power and reliability.>>

I have the Tohatsu 6hp...had it for three years. I bought it new and it's run like a champ since day one. It pushes an Aquarius 23 sailboat...loaded with "stuff" almost at hull speed at full throttle. At just over half throttle, I get about 5 knots and can go from Marina Del Ray to Two Harbors, Catalina using a tad less than 3 gallons...that's about 34 miles. The only issues I've had with are with respect to the cooling system. It clogs easily when we get run off at our local lake. I simply attach the factory adapter to a hose and wash the stuff out. Takes a minute. It still has a strong stream of water and stills tarts on the 1st or 2nd pull. I replaced a Honday 9.9 with this motor as my wife could not start the Honda.
Regarding the fuel.... I use Stabil (sp?) and run the engine dry if she's going to sit more than 3 weeks.
Bottom line, I'm pleased with the performance, durability and low maintenance of the Tohatsu.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I would strongly suggest (if you haven't done it already) you have Ruth stitch up a cover for the fuel filter. That clear bowl will allow UV rays to turn that sitting fuel to yuck. (over times of non-use) I found out the hard way about fuel deterioration. Even Stabil or Seafoam didn't stop it from turning. I have my filter in the lazarret
Yep, she .....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-canvas/canvas-7.html

....had one made even before I.......

....... installed it.

She has done some really nice things for the boat.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-canvas/canvas-index.html

....and some others that I haven't had time to document and post on the site yet.

When I had a Rhodes 22 I had a 9.8 Tohatsu electric start and loved it. I did get the remote kit and did the change to a single lever in the cockpit control and like Sumner I also had a tiller to rudder attachment. I second Sumners advice about a filter with a visible bulb to separate any HOH.

Sum, thanks for getting back to me with regards to the solar panel.
Hope the links helped you.

On the controls the ones I made help, but when we get the boat back to Utah next year I hope to use some morse cables and get the throttle and shift lever right beside her legs in the cockpit where it will really be easy for her to work them.

Since I am going to use the 8 hp Tohatsu on a 100 lb. inflatable with 2, 150 lb. adults and a 50lb dog would you suggest replacing the prop for a better performance prop? and if so, what size?. I just don't know much about outboards.

Thanks,

Sigbear
I'd try the prop that comes with it and see what happens then make a decision. Is it a short (regular shaft)? The prop should be marked as to its pitch or they show a 8.5" Dia. X 8.0" Pitch 3-Blade Aluminum as standard on the short shaft model and the long shaft and also maybe the 7.0 pitch....

http://www.tohatsuoutboardparts.com/Props-and-Hardware.html#Aluminum

Google prop selection and do some reading, but I'll be interested to know if you get the 100# inflatable and 350# up on plane or not. Maybe someone has a similar combination and can help with some real life data.

You need to prop so that you can get the outboard up into the 5000-6000 rpm range and you have the problem of needing the right prop to push it up onto plane and then have the speed once there. The 8.0 pitch would probably be the good place to start and then see if you have any problems and what they are.

Also I believe that the only difference between the 8 HP and 9.8 HP is the carb. If so and you need just a little more HP then that might be an option if I'm right (be sure to check that out :redface: ). Now about the only time you would see the 1.8 HP difference would be at the top of the power band (5000-6000 rpm). Below that rpm the difference will get less and less. Just a guess, but maybe down around 3000 rpm there might only be 1/2 hp difference between the two.

Good luck,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Oct 5, 2009
Oday 222 Harkers Island NC
I have an 8 horse tohatsu with electric start and charging on my 22 foot oday. So far I am really happy with it. My boat was hit by lightning and I discovered this because the starter wouldn't work. After looking over the boat and finding all the bulbs and electronics fried, I just knew the motor was fried also. I tried to pull start the motor not expecting it to start, I didn't have water going to it, it started up on the second pull. The lightning fried only the charging coil and cost less than$100 to fix. I picked this motor over Honda and Yamaha because it was not only cheaper but over 30 pounds lighter. I would buy another one.

Apr 26, 2009
Sumner

I had a similar inflatable & motor in mid 1990's, the only difference is a 2 cycle 8hp vs. 4 cycle 8hp. The 2 cycle 8hp Mariner got the inflatable up on a plane nicely when my wife and I leaned forward to drop the nose down.

Sigbear

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield

I've had great results with Nissan. I own two now (3.5 and 8 hp) and once owned a 35 HP.
Nothing wrong with them.

COOL

Feb 16, 2009
Islander 30 mkII Downtown Long Beach

I have been using a Merc 6 HP, to push my
8000lb Islander 30, for four years and have
been very impressed by it. It starts easily and
will run wide open for hours on little fuel.
My only complaint is that the tiller locking
mechanism was usless from nearly day one,
but I imagine that is because these motors
are primarily intended to be tiller steered in
a small dinghy.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe

I have Tohatsu a 4hp/4 stroke that sits during the week and is run on the weekends. Mine has run very well since I started adding a cap full of Seafoam per gallon of fuel. And whatever fuel I don't use, I put in my car (easier since I have an integrated tank and only bring a gallon at a time to the boat).

I have seen a lot of advice about whether you should run the engine out of fuel at each use, and I'm now of the opinion that it doesn't help. Even trying to run the engine out of gas, there will be fuel left in the bowl (I've emptied mine after running it dry on choke and wide open and found quite a bit remaining). In fact, I've even read articles stating that it may even be worse to try to run the engine out of fuel because it introduces more air (humid air) into the fuel system, which will allow ethanol to have an even higher water to fuel ratio to work with.
The key to me seems to be fresh gas and additives to keep whatever fuel is left in the engine stable. After making those adjustments, my motor has been extremely reliable and it's got plenty of power for me on an inland lake, just getting in and out of the marina, or back when the wind dies.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
....I have seen a lot of advice about whether you should run the engine out of fuel at each use, and I'm now of the opinion that it doesn't help. Even trying to run the engine out of gas, there will be fuel left in the bowl (I've emptied mine after running it dry on choke and wide open and found quite a bit remaining). In fact, I've even read articles stating that it may even be worse to try to run the engine out of fuel because it introduces more air (humid air) into the fuel system, which will allow ethanol to have an even higher water to fuel ratio to work with.
The key to me seems to be fresh gas and additives to keep whatever fuel is left in the engine stable. After making those adjustments, my motor has been extremely reliable and it's got plenty of power for me on an inland lake, just getting in and out of the marina, or back when the wind dies.
Sounds like good solid advice based on experience, thanks :),

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack

# ! It always a bit of a mystery who has E-10 and whether you may have the E11.9 as its and about thing
:)

A big issue on 4st is the motors emissions series as they went from 1 to 2 to 3 star ratings the motors became more fussy ,fuel that will run fine on a 1 star motor will stop a 3 star dead :(

Thee other issue is how level you can store the motor VS requiring a full tilt to keep the lower unit out of the water

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
I have seen a lot of advice about whether you should run the engine out of fuel at each use, and I'm now of the opinion that it doesn't help. Even trying to run the engine out of gas, there will be fuel left in the bowl (I've emptied mine after running it dry on choke and wide open and found quite a bit remaining). In fact, I've even read articles stating that it may even be worse to try to run the engine out of fuel because it introduces more air (humid air) into the fuel system, which will allow ethanol to have an even higher water to fuel ratio to work with.
Slightly off topic, I have the same observations about our 1983 2-stroke Suzuki 5hp. I don't ever run it dry during the season. In past winters I've stored it on its back, which now I think had the effect of draining the carb. This year I have it in the basement, intending to remove and clean the carb before launch (more for curiosity than necessity)

I am very fastidious about the gas; I only use ethanol-free gas, good 2-stroke oil, and stabilizer. I changed the gear oil last fall; after 4 + seasons it was still indistinguishable from new gear oil...

Completely off-topic - has anyone replaced the internal fuel hose in their small outboard with clear hose? Is there a clear hose that would withstand the fuel? I think this would be a great diagnostic aid if the motor is not working right.

(PS Sumner - stop having so many good ideas! Winter is only so long ;) )

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack

I would stick with the orginal hose BUT if you cant resist small engine repiar shops have a wide range of transluent fuel line on the shelf

Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
Hi Sigbear,
My 26S is April 1992 manufactured. The boat was imported from the US in 2004 and has an 8HP Nissan 2 stroke outboard. No sure of the manufacture date on the motor but it is serial number 3B2-1 49321 and someone may be able to tell me the manufacture date from that number?? We don't have Nissan brand outboards in Australia, only Mercury and Tohatsu. The Mercury dealer told me that all the Merc motors under 30HP are manufactured by Tohatsu and Merc only manufacture the larger range of motors. Nissan motors are of course Tohatsu.

Mine is an electic start with charger and I am very pleased with the motor. It does not appear to have done much work and runs like a dream - starts every time the minute I hit the button and does not appear to run extremely hot as some past motors have done. I figure I get about 3-4 litres per hour from it - hard to estimate but I'd say you could count on 2.5l at idle and 3.5l at half throttle. By way of camparision just remember mine is a 2-sroke and is not a 2011 model - don't know what the difference would be.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River

So in what orientation should you store a 4 stroke outboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.