Memorial Weekend Cruise

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Belle-Vie has invited the admiral aboard for a Memorial Day weekend holiday cruise. These invitations always seem to end up a bit contentious, since I like to just sail and then bob (admiral's term for while at anchor), she likes to hurry and get there so she can shop. Grrr.

So what does your admiral like to do? Any of you pacific northwesters have plans for this weekend?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I have to photograph the high school national sailing regatta in Anacortes this wknd. I photographed the District championships this last wknd. I'm sure everyone will want pix! Then provision the boat, change the snailmail, wash the boat (over/under), rig a sprinker system in the yards, and head for the Broughton's on June 8. Oh ya, another photo gig withe yacht club to photograph on June 4/5 or whatever that weeknd is for Anacortes Waterfront Festival. And...there, more stuff intertwined...save me Terry!! A burger/IPA at the Brown Lantern.....

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Oh man..i forgot..the Admiral is helping in alot of this especially provisioning and house prep. She's not a shopper but apprehensive re WX in Johnstone Strait...showing the alternatives.....

May 20, 2016
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
I was thinking of heading up to Desolation Sound for a Peaceful weekend anyone else heading that way give me a shout Find me 338206099 MMSI# I'll be somewhere I hope. I have a Friend from high school coming on Saturday I haven't seen for 37 years he Retired from the Navy and Is the Nuclear Inspector at Bremerton Navy Base I hope he Doesn't Glow when I see him LOL Everyone Have a Fun and Always a Safe Journey I hope I see PNW members out there

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Ewe are heading south from San Fran to Long Beach to check out an older Hunter 45. Still looking for the right boat. Maybe this will be the one.

Not as much fun on the water as everyone else but it's always good to see new places and new boats.

Fair winds

Dec 25, 2000
Oh man..i forgot..the Admiral is helping in alot of this especially provisioning and house prep. She's not a shopper but apprehensive re WX in Johnstone Strait...showing the alternatives.....
Hi Mark, in all our passages north we always followed the Gillard Rapids route up and Johnstone Strait on the return. Last year however we went up and back through Gillard Rapids. Not near the strong on shore breezes as through Johnstone, especially in the afternoon.

Johnstone can make for a speedy trip if you are southbound. But then there are times when it is flat and calm. Good luck there.

Dec 25, 2000
If you decide to transit Gillard Rapids, we have found the best time is a slack before the ebb. Maximum flow through the Rapids can reach 10 to 12 knots with strong eddies. Once through the Rapids you follow the ebb current north through Yucultas (pronounced youclatus) and Dent.

If you happen to make Gillard Rapids slack before the flood we layover in Big Bay until the next ebb. Much of the Bay is now private, but they have a public marina, general store and the hike to Eagle lake is quite nice.

A nice layover anchorage, or dock if you prefer, is Shoal Bay. Not much there, but worth a stop at the small pub to visit with the locals and peruse the history of the Bay. There is also an old logging road that will take you up to a scenic overlook of the Bay and further up to an open abandoned gold mine tunnel. Bring a good flashlight and watch for vertical shafts when you go in.

Regarding Johnson Strait, it seems that every day is gale day in the strait, especially in the afternoon when the onshore NW breezes pickup. The mountains on either side of the Strait also has a Venturi affect on channeling the wind velocity.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
We are also wanting to spend some time in Octopus Is. So we may go out Okisolo and poke our bow into Discovery Passage and see what's blowing. We can always escape up Nodales or Mayne Passages. Could also go through Hole in the Wall through the other two rapids...Real time decision.....

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
With any chosen route, you have a minimim of 14 miles of the strait.....several yrs(decades) ago, we flew up to Pt. McNeil and brought a boat back..Glass smooth all the way to Anacortes...even on the Georgia Strait...

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Mark, still out there? It appears Desolation Sound is on the cruise agenda for this year. Of course that can change, but works for me. Been there a number of times over the years, but still many new places yet to discover. Really liked Roscoe Bay. Time to visit it again.

Sort of like the San Juans, been all over it many times, but still seem to find new places that need visiting; Fisherman's Bay for one.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Still here..leaving June 9 as slip sublease starts then. Going over to somewhere and then to Garrison with the yacht club. Then a few day days to Chemainus to catch the outdoor theater. After that it's heading north. Just watch the tides going into Fishermans....boat name is Finisterre if you have AIS..

Dec 25, 2000
No AIS here. I'll have international calling on my cell number while in BC waters; 425/870-6923. Another good way to stay in touch.