Memorial Day cruising

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

C2 Editorial

Did you sail over the Memorial Day weekend? Where did you go? Was it crowded? Would you do it again, and did any good sailing stories come from your cruise? Memorialize your weekend here, then vote in this week's Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page.

T

Tim

PREEMPTED

Planned a 3 day sail from Norfolk, VA to a favorite destination, York River Yacht Haven about 27 miles up the Chesapeake Bay and York River. Wonderful sail under cloudy skies on the way north. Yacht Haven is a first class destination with superb facilities, including a great restaurant. Best of all, when you check in, you get coozies for those cold ones and wooden nickels for drafts at the bar! Unfortunately, with weather looking pretty bad for Monday, we took the prudent course and sailed back home on Sunday. As I sit here Monday afternoon, watching torrents of rain and wind gusts exceeding 40 knots, I know we made the right decision! Tim (TIDE)

G

Greg Stebbins

Exploring the competition

I spent the whole weekend charging around the lake in a borrowed J22. What fun! I've forgotten what it's like in a full race keelboat. Definitely nothing there unless it helps the boat "go fast". That includes the creature comforts. Help Peggie, I really want to impress my friends on my J22, what's the best 5 gal paint bucket to use for personal business. I want every one to know they're on the best as they sit there in the cabin with their head sticking out the hatch! As far as sailing performance is concerned, the J's have another point of sail beyond close hauled. It's got to be something like "very close hauled". Those boats can sail about 35 degrees or less off the wind all day long. That's about 10 degrees higher than a Hunter 23 can manage. Once you get into reach territory the J22 loses to the 23. I think they put every thing they had into that high pointing ability. Greg H23 -Faster

D

Don C.

One day out of three

We went out only Saturday due to the weather in the Northeast. Even on Saturday, the weather turned on us & the wind really picked up quickly causing a mechanical "event" with the furler (see my post of Trip #3 under Smaller Boats). May is a tough sailing month due to the puffy & flukey winds. I can wait for the steady winds of July & August but I'm glad that I did get out even if only once this weekend.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Two so far, and for me it continues...

I got out yesterday, and today, and I am planning to go out tomorrow, wed, and thursday night for the phrf action. Yesterday was totally flukey. Winds dead almost the whole day except one half hour period of 25 plus. Bizarre. Today was glorious. I took my mother out for the first time. I don't think she actually thought I could sail. Anyway, perfect conditions. Enough boats for company but not for traffic, enough wind for hull speed but not big heel angles. Sign me up! Justin

P

Paul Akers

You bet I did!

Only for one day here on Narragansett Bay. The weather was forecast to deteriorate over the weekend, so we only went out on Saturday and returned Sunday. It was our first trip of the season, our shakedown. Sailed to Potter's Cove on Prudence Island with a fresh west wind. Hit speed of 6.6 on our Legend 37 and, needless to say, was envigorating. What did we forget during our shakedown? Well, I forgot the gin, she forgot the coffee. And the coffee was the worst thing. Have a GREAT summer!

H

Harvey Small

Ka-Ching!

I spent Saturday puttering on the boat, installing some rigging and such. Then we got out on the river both Sunday & today! Gotta call that a great weekend! Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day & remembered our vets, too! Harvey Small s/v Waiting for the Sun

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Extended week-end

Our Memorial day weekend actually started last weekend (May 20). We made a trip from Rio Vista to Richmond, CA., in near perfect weather. My wife and daughter took basic keel boat sailing lessons at Tradewinds Sailing School on Mon-Weds. We drove home on Weds nite just to work for a couple of days and then returned to Richmond for our return journey. We took the boat to Oxbow Marina up in the delta for 2 glorious days. Fun, food and friends. Left this morning (Monday) for a short 4 hour motor to our home port at Hidden Harbor Marina. One of the more memorial holiday weekends in recent time.

H

Howard Sherman

Tourist Free Florida!

Ah yes, Memorial day weekend in Florida! The glorious celebration of the end of tourist season. The first big weekend for locals to reclaim the waterways and ocean. When one reads the annual statistics on boating accidents, and sees Florida ranked up high, they must get the impression that Florida boaters are really dangerous. Well let me tell you, if you had to share the Intracoastal and ocean with a bunch of blue hairs that have decided that boating is something that they want to try out for the first time, you would very likely be involved in quite a few close calls, and maybe even an accident if you insist on boating regularly. Not all of our winter residents fall into this category, but a good percentage are small lake boaters and fisherman that have decided to buy that first big boat and ply the waters of south Florida. Now that I have that off my chest, this weekend was really great! My yacht club cruised the Okeechobee waterway from Lake Okeechobee to Peck Lake in the intracoastal on the east coast. Did some sailing in the atlantic out of the St.Lucie inlet. The afternoon shore breeze was at about 15 knots, just enough to get my H27 going real nice like. We returned to Pahokee Monday afternoon and had our traditional drinks on the dock with toasts to our fallen vets. I hope everyone enjoyed there weekend as well. Howard Sherman S/V Escape

J

John Langsenkamp

Boat still in cradle

My Catalina 39 is still in winter storage. I sail Lake Champlain. It is still above flood stage and the office at the marina still has a mot around it.Not able to get to the docks due the high water. Need a dinghy to get there. Obviously no water or electric. Let the rain stop. It has been raining everyday here in Vermont in May.Let it shine Langsey Beulah '83 36 #129

J

Jeff

Pretty Exciting Monday

This was my first cruise on the "Kuuipo" on Sat. we went to a marina just south of the bay bridge. Nice winds had a good time. Sunday went to Harrington bay. We knew that Monday there was a front moving in but I was not aware how much weather there was going to be. We went out on a reefed main and a jib furled up to the eqivelent of a storm jib. I was scared at first but the Kuuipo seemed to handle the swells extremely well. All in all a very exciting first cruise and I'm looking forward to more.

B

Brent Morgan Shallcross

Overnight in a nasty storm

Boy did i sail this weekend (NOT!) After getting so siked up all week for the long weekend ,My brother and i loaded up Ripple my 76'C-22 and headed out for a night on the river.With virtually no wind and tummy's grumbling we headed down river to the Captains Quarters for a fish sandwich and a few cold ones on the dock,admiring ripple in between bites,with no wind and midnight approaching we shoved off and headded back up river to 14 mile creek to drop the hook and hit the sack... sweet dreams of my proud little boat ***CRASH**** welp the weather started getting rough ***lighting*** thunder ** Wind** huge barg wake!! but the little boat stayed put.. and we stayed dry(al that calk and new gaskets did the trick. I awoke to sunny skies and a nice breeze ahhhh but were is my rudder and my tiller???? were we pirated in the middle of the night?? hmmm I dont remmebering anchoring this close to shore...The only thing i can figure is during the srorm we were pushed close to shore and my rudder was pushed up and off and dumped into the ohio river! AHHH! Anyone have a used c-22 rudder out there?

B

Bob Robeson

Poker run, Dinghy Diner

The TBYC had there annual poker run, dinghy dinner. This was our first outiong with the Yacht Club. We left on friday and returned on Monday. While Friday through Sunday were uneventful, Monday Mr. Murphy struck. Friday and Saturday were spent travleling to Martin's Island where we meetup with about 30 other boats, rafting up to one another in about 20 ft of water. Sunday there was a Dinghy poker run, then a Pot luck Dinner. Even in the rain there was a good turn out. Monday morning there was a Yacht Club sponsored breakfast, with bacon, sausage, eggs, french toast and more. One of the club memebers made his own Elk sausage, which was very good. Then about noon we headed for home. Soon the engine's temperature starting rising, so I starting slow the engine down, (No wind so I had to use engine) to keep from over heating. Stopping at St. Helens to make repairs, we ate lunch, and took of ofr home, when work called. Using my computer and cell phone, I was able to dial into our network, and fixed there problems, though our engine over heat problem was not fixed. When we got to a bridge that we had to wait to open, our engine temp climbed and I had to shut it down, but there was a little wind, so we sailed home (slowing, ever so slowly) and into dock with out an engine, baby crying, Pager ringing, our heater filling inside of the cabin with smoke (Don' know why), no engine and almost no wind we creap into our slip about 9:30 PM. Would I do it again, yes, the very next change I get. We had a good time, minus Monday. Bob

E

Ed Schenck

Sounds like "Far Coast" is..

...where to be. We on the Great Lakes shared the East Coast weather. And it was too crowded in Florida(wonder if Howard will mellow when he gets older). But sailed anyway on Monday, not another boat in sight on Lake Erie. Six-footers with a six second period(I don't care what the weather buoy says!). Am I the only one who hears NOAA saying "10 knot breezes, waves 1 to 3" while standing on end, double-reefed and surfing down a wave? And this is a 37 foot boat.

F

Frank Pratt

Tacoma - Bellingham

We moved our Hunter 31 from Tacoma To Beliingham this weekend. Lef T Friday about 6 pm put in at Bell Harbor in downtown Seattle for dinner about 10pm, Left the next moring under reefed main and partial jib. Winds were prediocted to 25 knots ( Actual winds were 30 with gusts well above.) We rounded up up just off of Edmonds. My wife's first round up , she was a bit excited. We then motored sailed with a bit of jib unfurled while the wind waves built to 3 feet. GPS said 6.2 on the back side of the waves and 8.1 on the down slope. The waters cal;med about the time we made it to Langley. We were going to put in but alas their was no room at the dock. We sailed on to Oak Harbor and docked about 6pm. Put out on Sunday morning and a rain showerstayed with us most of the way to the Swinomish Channel, Sun came out while we motored throught the channel past La Conner. Just enough sun to bring out the Bayliner owners that can't read the no wake sign. Set full sail after leaving the channel and reached Bellingham about 4 pm. Our son met us at our slip, we stopped long enought to pick up dinner and take the boat out for a sunset cruise. All of the Marina's had signs posted that they were fully booked for the weekend but they all had room and none charged their posted holiday rates. The boat now becomes a dorm room for our son attending college in Bellingham.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
angel island

Spent three days in a ten-boat Sequoia YC raft-up in Avila Cove on Angel Island. Surfed home in a 30-knot breeze with main at 50% and jib at 75%. Relaxing.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Great sailing in Portland, OR!

We went out several times, had some friends over, spent the weekend on the water and beat several other boats in that whole "unofficial" racing thang! Even watched a couple of boats get knocked down from a sudden increase in wind. Had a great weekend even though it rained! LaDonna

P

PATTY CHERONE

CATALINA ISLAND

LEFT FOR BACKSIDE OF CATALINA ISLAND (CAT HARBOR) ON THURSDAY, EARLY MORNING. BREEZES PICKED UP AND WE MOTORSAILED THE 6 HOURS AVERAGING ABOUT 7 KNOTS. BEAUTIFUL WEEKEND, TOOK THE DOGS ON THE BEACH, HAD COCKTAILS AT DOUG'S HARBOR REEF. LOTS OF SUN AND FUN. MONDAY MORNING THE FOG CAME IN BUT WE COULD STILL SEE ABOUT 1-1/2 MILES AHEAD OF US. ALL HARBORS WERE FULL BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THE ISTHMUS WAS A ZOO AS USUAL ON A HOLIDAY WEEKEND. THIS IS WHY WE GO TO CAT HARBOR. LOOKING FORWARD TO RETURNING VERY SOON. OH, WE ALSO CAME ACROSS NOT LESS THAN 6 PODS OF DOLPHINS WHEN SAILING HOME. ALMOST ALL OF WHICH CAME TO PLAY WITH US. WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND!

B

Bryan C.

My hamstring can't take anymore fun!

Sounds like most folks were having a good time on their boats - as it should be! Went from downtown Miami off Sands Key (about 15 mi, on the SE part of Biscayne Bay) with my bro-in-law and dropped the hook Sat night. Even tho' it was hot during the day, the water was great and it was nice in the evening listening to tapes, looking at all the other sailboats anchored around us and the stars and just chillin'. Sunday hooked up with some friends from work. My highlight was going water skiing, which I haven't done in 20 years. Still could get up on the slalom, but my right hamstring is going to remind me of the fun for quite a while I think ....

R

Rob Carvette

My Third Annual Figawi Race

This weekend gathered up the crew and raced form Hyannis to the Island of Nantucket for the Figawi Race. Would love to report winning however didn't do very well at all. Just put the mast up and I think I still have some fine tuning to do as she was much faster in last years race. Had a blast though. For the race on Saturday had a west wind around 15kts that increased to 20-25kts. Sailed back yesterday in a ENE wind around 20kts. Spent the weekend on Island with about 200,000 of my closest freinds. If you boat in NE and haven't openned the season with this event, you should consider it for next year. It's a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.