Measuring masthead mast rake.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Indeed to the deck. This number is only really valid for resetting to a desired value, or setting to a OD spec. Otherwise you measure it in degrees (or as a ratio), and the actual measure point no longer matters.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You can, as I do, measure to the boom, for convenience. As Jackdaw says, the degree of rake is what matters. I think of it in terms of feet mast above my mark to inches of rake in front of my mark. For me, it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 1" of rake to 5' of mast. But some of that will be personal choice and experience with your boat.

-Will (Dragonfly)

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Our boat used to round up in a gust. Took out some rake and now the boat heels over in a gust. We prefer to heel rather than round up because we can still steer. You need to experiment to find the best rake for your own boat, your sails, and your normal wind conditions. Worth the effort.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Our boat used to round up in a gust. Took out some rake and now the boat heels over in a gust. We prefer to heel rather than round up because we can still steer. You need to experiment to find the best rake for your own boat, your sails, and your normal wind conditions. Worth the effort.
For sure. Adding rake moves the Center of Effort of the entire sailplan aft, which increases weatherhelm. Some weatherhelm is desirable, but as Roy points out, too much of a good thing is a bad thing.