Maybe put my oars over my shoulder and…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
It’s been a quiet week here in Hampton, my temporary home port. There was lots of wind for a while but good ground tackle made that insignificant. I took a road trip to the Outer Banks and then explored Fort Monroe. Yesterday, I went to the Mariners Museum where I thoroughly went over the extensive and excellent exhibits on the Monitor. Being a naval architect made looking into the mind of the designer of one of the most revolutionary and innovative craft ever launched especially interesting.

As with my earlier long sojourn in Beaufort, I’ve had a lot of time on my hands and done too much thinking about my life and future. I’m going to have one of those talks this morning that you think you never would. It’s very tentative but I emailed a friend to see if he would be interested in purchasing Strider.

I’m known here, and up and down the coast, as a singlehander but it isn’t by choice. It is the result of decisions I and others made years ago. I tolerate the solitude better than most and the Internet and the wonderful people I meet along the way help. However, my time in DC, with people that talk about things other than boats and cruising, added fuel to the feelings that were building in Beaufort.

DC didn’t pan out for a number of reasons, expense, job situation, the marina, etc. However, I feel that I am reaching the limits of this lifestyle. I do love the life and, if not for two things, would probably keep on for years. The first is money. I can’t afford to cruise beyond the east coast of the U.S. and Canada. The chances of significantly changing that at my age are slim.

The second is crew. I enjoy having friends aboard for short periods but I just can’t see myself continuing this without a permanent crew. It’s pretty clear that no woman old enough for me to take seriously, or to take me seriously, is going to spend months at a time aboard a 32 foot sailboat. It’s the perfect size for what I’ve been doing but two small for a couple there is any realistic probability of this ship’s company becoming.

I’ve given a lot of my life to the sea. I’ve gotten much from it but it’s also taken. I started this wandering odyssey in search of change and variety. Now that I know the low country and Nova Scotia almost as well as Maine, I’m increasingly thinking of change and variety as mountains, rivers, and the kind of places I’ve seen too little of. I haven’t come up with a plan for how I might do that but I’m thinking about it.

If I were to meet someone with a modest income and freedom similar to mine, I would gladly keep doing this. Two people could make the passages and afford to go on to interesting places like Newfoundland and the Caribbean. However, as I’ve gotten to know the cruising scene better, it’s apparent that there are hundreds of single guys with larger and more comfortable boats looking for the same thing (and, they’re all on Match.com, I hear). I’m just not going to fade into one of those lonely old guys I see up and down the ICW. The solitude is wearing me down.

I’m committed to being in this area, or possibly Connecticut, until we find out how this research vessel project plays out so I’m not going to make any decisions for a while. Living on the boat is essential to my participation in that project as my role won’t be large enough to justify moving ashore. However, I am starting to think a lot about the traditional story of putting your oars over your shoulder and walking inland until someone says, “Hey, what are those sticks you’re carrying?”.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
This is easy for me to say, (I'm lucky to be married to someone who's as passionate about sailing as I am), don't give up. Go on Match.com. Seriously. Today, you're not going to meet many prospective partners on the ICW to join you and it sounds like you would like company.

You write well, you're honest, take a shot on the internet. A friend of mine I work with hadn't had a date in a decade, and she is very attractive, fit and a self made in her own business. Myself and few others prodded her a little to do the internet thing.

She finally did and was cautious and smart about it. We all had a few laughs with a couple duds,(we'd all enjoy your foray into those woods on this forum.... :) ), but to make a 6 to 9month story short, she's now in Paris with a terrific divorced dad (they're both in their 50's), and I suspect this is likely a very long term thing.

She never would have met him living and working here in my neighborhood on the coast of Maine. Simply, everybody knows everybody in town, and there was nobody for her here.

There are tons of single guys looking for company, both online and not. The ones online are meeting many others online, the ones not online, are not, as much(or at all).

You have quite an edge over most that I know. Give it a shot.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
A very good friend found a mate in China using the internet and ended up married. So don't limit your options. Many folks in foreign lands are looking for an opportunity like you have to offer.

You could hike the appalachian trail for mountains and streams but I doubt you'd find more in terms of companionship. The mountains from Maine to Georgia are very spectacular with lots of wilderness.

I have heard that The Villages in Florida have a 7 to 1 female to male ratio, you might want to check out renting a place down there for a bit where you'll likely be swarmed with prospects looking for the same thing, some companionship. You might have to learn how to golf though.

Good luck with whatever you do, it has been great reading about your adventures.

Nov 22, 2008
This wasn't actually meant to be a lonely hearts thread but, thanks for the suggestions. If I found someone who wanted to cruise with me, I would probably keep doing it of as the path of least resistance. That doesn't necessarily mean it would be the right decision or that I wouldn't look back with even greater regret at not having seen more of other parts of the world than the coasts.

There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle of the rest of my life and I'm still trying to sort them out. All I know for sure is that I'm not ready for a life that centers around garden, yard, and cable TV.

Nov 22, 2008
it has been great reading about your adventures.
Don't use the past tense quite yet:)

My friend doesn't need a bigger boat unless he finds someone who want to cruise longer and farther.

Oct 4, 2011
Want A Hunter! 33 Seneca Lake
My wife passed away a few years ago, and I found a very nice girl on okcupid.com.
You should give it a try. You'll eventually find someone because of the sheer number of people looking for a mate if nothing else. Just be careful out there!

And besides, if you think you have some good stories to tell now, wait until you try online dating....

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
Sort of gives a new meaning to "cruising on Strider":)

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
putting your oars over your shoulder and walking inland until someone says, “Hey, what are those sticks you’re carrying?”.
I see you brought some wood for the fire :)

I have enjoyed reading about your adventures & you're right, there are alot of single guys out there looking for the ultimate galley wench, probably some married guys too. I imagine the pickings are slim & as you've noted the competion is fierce. I don't know much about you Roger but I suspect you've got integrity & ask, do you really want to go down the road...

Wantever you decide to do, I wish you the best!
Bob

Nov 22, 2008
I suspect you've got integrity & ask, do you really want to go down the road...
Well, you're getting to the nub of the issue. Companionship is not a code word for sex nor does it just mean having someone on the boat. The conundrum is that I would like someone on the boat who has a life more interesting than just being on a boat going somewhere. What's that they say about not wanting to belong to a club that would have you as a member?

Now, if it was someone with the skills and other resources that would make it possible to cruise abroad, engage with different cultures, and brought a lively interest in the world ashore to the boat, that would be different. I expect such a person would be pretty happy right where she is by time she's gotten to my age range though.

Just having a female creature on the boat isn't going to keep going up and down the ICW and east coast interesting enough for the long haul. I could just get a cat. A companion might extend my interest in what I'm doing now a year or two but the real issue is my increasing desire to be more involved with a larger world than the boat and the waterfronts I can visit. Two people in a boat may not be enough for that.

I've wanted to do this all my life. An important part of that was it being open ended. Now that I've done it, I'm wondering now if I'm running up against the principle of diminishing returns and if it's getting in the way of other things I would like to do. I've gotten pretty good at running the boat up and down the coast without hitting anything or the water getting over the floorboards. Maybe it's time for new challenges with more people in the picture.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Now, if it was someone with the skills and other resources that would make it possible to cruise abroad, engage with different cultures, and brought a lively interest in the world ashore to the boat, that would be different. I expect such a person would be pretty happy right where she is by time she's gotten to my age range though.

you never know who may suprise you at our age range Roger...just when you least expect it out of the blue they may show up and over whelm you with suprise.... after all you are doing it at your age and i am sure some one some where may want to do what you are doing.... but has no idea how to get started..... so just hold your head up high and ask everyone you come in contact with how they feel about giveing it a go.....if ya want peanut butter ya have ta ask for it ya know.....good luck in your quest.....

regards

woody

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
You never know, Roger. Met my wife on the internet. She doesn't like to be in water unless it's in a pool. (THERE'S BIG THINGS IN THE WATER THAT CAN EAT YOU!!!!!) But she saw my 16 foot daysailer sitting in the yard and wondered why I didn't use it. Finding out that I had no partner to help me sail the boat, she decided that she would try sailing. Two boats later and we're on a 37' Tartan and currently planning a 2 or 3 month cruise.

It doesn't hurt that she's easy on these old eyes. :)

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Met my wife on the net too, Roger. She's scared spitless of water, but fell in love with the sailboat.

Guy on one of the fire depts met his wife on eHarmony. He was in TX, she was in CA, and built a new house here in AR.

I didnt marry until late in life, dont really know why, just no Mrs right I guess. But I did get tired of being alone. The neat thing I found was that instead of going my own way, or her going hers, we go somewhere else together and end up places neither one of us ever imagined. By the sounds of it, that's what your looking for, and what your missing.

I have always been amazed how a preacher can find a new wife so fast. I think part of is the desire to be married, coupled with the giving in to its demands. If you do put up an ad somewhere, the more honest you are about who and what you are, and what your looking for, will weed out a lot of the wrong people from the start. "She" is out there Roger, you just have to let her know you exist. I wish you great luck in the next part of your journey.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Roger,
Everytime you sit still for too long you start to have these thoughts, perhaps you should get moving again? Still an awful lot of places to explore along the coast and not necessarily more of the same. Now that the extreme cold has broken the weather will start getting good.
Have you considered volunteering your time at a place like the Beaufort Maritime Museum. They restore wooden watercraft and interact with the public and children (dinghy building contests, etc.). Something like that would allow you to use your abundant skills as a NA while also allowing you to meet all kinds of people. Lots of people live aboard in the mooring area. I'm sure there are many similar places along the coast and up in Maine, its' good to keep the mind stimulated with challenges.

Here's some info if interested:
Volunteer

The Best Job in Beaufort!
The best job in Beaufort is just an application away! North Carolina Maritime Museum volunteers have one of the best jobs, as long as you don’t mind getting paid in smiles and thanks. This is one of the only jobs you will find today that can guarantee a raise in ‘pay’ for the best employees. As a Museum volunteer you will have the opportunity to work with projects such as the Queen Anne’s Revenge, the Watercraft Center, Schools & Group programs, Wooden Boat Show and many more. If those opportunities weren’t enough the Museum also offers a number of “Volunteers Only” programs such as our annual volunteer luncheon, ice cream social, field trips and behind the scenes looks at the Museum’s projects and exhibits.
We welcome you to join our Museum family and help keep the North Carolina Maritime Museum one of the best attractions in the state! Whether getting out and meeting new people are your interests or sharing your craft with another we have a place for you.
Flexible Scheduling:
Monday - Saturday; 3 Shifts: 9 a.m. - 12 p.m., 12 - 3 p.m. and 3 - 5 p.m.
Sunday: 1 - 3 p.m., or 3 - 5 p.m.
Evenings / Weekends: Special Events
For more information, contact the Museum at 252-728-7317.
Beaufort Volunteer Form (160.13 kB)

trasel

Dec 26, 2011
Endeavour 32 Middle River, Md.
Hi Roger
Sorry to hear of your present state of mind...I agree with a previous poster, pull that anchor...maybe you need a change of scenery, maybe cruise to Bahamas (with your shoal draft) and/ or Carribean.
I would also think there are opportunities for someone with your background in the Annapolis area.

If you are seriously considering selling Strider, please let me know as I am currently looking at E32s and would absolutely love to own it. (love your heater and many updates!)
All the best to you, whatever you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.