May have to salvage a 299 Seidelmann due to storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sweet Dream

Unfortunately my boat has reached about 50 feet above normal water level, on a beach as a result of a surge having broken loose during last Saturday's storm. Ironically it has traversed a very rochy area and I can see no damage on the boat. However due to the complexity of the location it looks as if I may have to salvage the boat. I am therefore trying to ascertain any interest in whether I can sell anything from the salvage. Everything is in great shape including sails and roller furling Harken jib, plus a Bimini and Dodger. Any response would be very helpful on this very sad day. Thanks, Don McCulloch

J

jon redifer

salvage

Don, Where is your boat located??? You said you can see no damage to the boat? Have you looked into a crane rental? They are not that expensive, especially when compared to the cost of a boat like that........ Jon

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I agree with Jon, the boat only weighs 10,000-

12,000 pounds. That is a light load for todays cranes.

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
Hate to see ya lose the boat

However,,If you decide to sell parts I need a roller furler, stanchions, bimini, dodger, pedestal steering, toilet,windows, etc.etc.etc. maybe even a motor and transmission if I can,t get mine going. johnsmary47@earthlink.net

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Don, Even if you strip all of the good stuff off

you will still need to get the hull out of there. I would plan to get the boat picked up and loaded on a flat bed trailer. You must have some kind of insurance, check with them about coverage. I believe that my liability insurance will pay for the cost of removing your boat from another's property. I am sure the property owner will demand that it be removed.

Aug 7, 2006
- - Grand Prairie, Tx. Joe Pool Lake
I could use stanchions and a bimini/dodger..

But I agree with the others... get a crain and refloat the boat.

J

Jon redifer 245

if you really think

that salvaging that 299 is your best option, I might be tempted to buy the whole thing as is.... but i really think it would be worth it to ya to refloat it with a crane...

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Jon, Where in Perryville do you

keep your boat? I am at Owens on the 400 pier. All the way out at the end on the up river side. Ross

D

Don McCulloch

Demise of Sweet Dream

The boat is located at the entrance to Cos Cob harbour/ North Mianus river in Connecticut. I am working on getting a large crane but the problem is the distance the boat is located from the water. There are also several rocks in the way. I will keep you updated. Thanks for your interest. Don

Sep 1, 2005
- - Annapolis
Keep us Posted

Sorry to hear about your boat. Let us know how it progresses - what your costs are and how the insurance company handles things. What exactly happened? Did the tide rise so high that she floated off the lines, did the lines chafe through? What, if anything, could you have done differently? Good luck.

J

jon redifer

ross

I am at owens also.... slip 312 boat name is Cheap Thrills?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Jon, I know the boat. I am at 436 Bietzpadlin

Plan to go out tuesday morning until the rain drives us back. Ross

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
salavage

I have a 29.9 and would be intrested in the items your going to salavage. How is your stove and the doors on the Lav, what type of sails? . You can email me at gwilbanks54@yahoo.com Thanks, Gary

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Don, If you do this right and don't mind lying

a little ( okay a whole lot ;) ) You can sell a bunch of salvage stuff from the local swap meets and make enough money to pay for gently lifting your boat off the beach and back into the water.

D

d.patrick

this may be a longshot

i saw a helicopter unloading a flatbed trailer a couple of years ago. i don't know what their payload is, but it would be interesting to get the boat straight up and down, get some straps and spreaders, and if they can carry the weight see how much they want for four hours fly time at high tide. i'm not trying to be funny, but i do think where there is a will, there is a way. many times when i get in over my head, i have to say, "Lord, you are going to have to help me out on this one." The Word says, "You have not because you ask not." and also to "Ask and you shall receive." Let me know how you make out, life is crazy huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.