max HP Engine that can be run on a Catalina "22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2007
- - Catalina Capri 22'
I have a question to add about the others. I have a Catalina Capri 22'. I am about to buy a Mercury 9.9 HP brand new which is a '06 or '07 for $1400. First of all is this a good deal. NExt, can my boat handle this much power or is ot ok to use. If its too much for the boat, what if i just dont crank up the power the whole way but only about 3/4? please write back thanks. joey

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY

Joey: My old C22 came with a Honda 100 (9.9 hp, 4 stroke). It works fine, especially if I sail in currents or strong winds. It does require a sturdy OB bracket to connect it to the transom. I probably never run it over half throtle and gas consumption is low. I also have a Tohatsu 2.5 hp, single stroke which is quite adequate for small lake motoring. It is much lighter weight so easier to install and remove and keeps the stern a little higher allowing the boat to sail a little faster. And when motoring, it pushes the boat almost to hull speed. In fact, even at low throtle it is a little too fast for optimal trolling for lake trout with "fenders". And with a small supplemental weight to bring it up to 40 #'s it is acceptable to the new rules for C22 racing. My guess is that overall, 3 to 7 hp is optimal unless you sail where there is current. And if a racer, stay on the low weight end. RK

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Hoss

I think you might want to pick that thing up once or twice before you buy it... For sure you will need a very strong mount, a four spring if your using a Garhauer. I use a 5hp Nissan and have never had a problem getting anywhere. If I were racing I'd have the 3.5. Though the Capri is a different boat than the C22 that's is a lot of motor plus weight hanging off the back.

May 24, 2007
Catalina 22 Kenosha, Wi
9.9 4 stroke

If it's a new 9.9 I assume it is 4 stroke. They are much heavier than a 2 stroke. and the weight is more a factor than horse power. Thats why you need the 4 spring motor mount. I have a 15 H.P. 2 stroke on my C22 (same block and weight as 2 stroke 9.9)I run it wide open all the time. it helps to have some extra power when waves and wind are strong. New small 2 strokes are on the horizon from Evinrude that are less pollutant than 4 strokes and much lighter. I hope they are here before my 15 H.P. runs out of life. There are many older 2 strokes still going so I guess I have some time yet.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Of course

one could always run two motors in tandem on the back. One on each side of the rudder but you may need a few cement blocks in the bow for ballast because the stern would be dragging. Besides the motor mount being strong enough, the only real concern would be the transom fiberglass layup. I recently added a scupper near the motor mount to run the gas and elec. line through and the fiberglass is at least two layers of 1/4" thickness. Fairly substantial if you ask me. It may be able to hold up to a 25 hp. With my Yammy 6hp 2cycle, a gas can and a battery in the stern, the stern is about 2" low. I was having gelcoat blistering issues above the barrier coat because of that.

R

Ray Bowles

Small block Chevy's make a C22 a monster!

Every year at our local pond's once a year race I get beat by a pair of San Juan 23's and Mac 26's. I'd dearly love to stick a small block 327 in "The Crusty Krab", enlist Sponge Bob and Squidward and stomp the misfits. Hell, I'd even use it as an airboat style motor pushing my tired sails onward to keep her a sail powered craft. Ray

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Too much

I had a Honda 8 on my C22 and sold it. Got a Tohatsu 6hp from onlineoutboards.com and it was plenty powerful and much lighter than the Honda. You do not need 9.9hp on a C22.

E

ewjili

9.9 too heavy

I have a catalina 22 with a 9.9 4 stroke honda...imho it is way more power than I need but my main complaint it the extra weight (103#) in the stern where the battery sits (20#)as does the gas tank (40#)and helmsman (200#).

V

Vernon

Identifing year of Nissan engine

Is there any way to identify what year engine i have. My '73 catalina cc came with a 8 hp nissan 4 stroke engine.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Nissan model #?

I would probably try to contact Nissan armed with your engine's serial number and model number.

K

Kris

I have the same boat

I also have a Capri 22. I think thats a good price but not the engine you need. Too heavy, I wouldnt go over 50 or 60 pounds. My boat came with a 6 h.p. Yamaha 2 stroke about 60 pounds and my boats water line was a little low at the engine. Then I put a 3.3 h.p. 2 stroke Evinrude on it 30 pounds. It was sitting in garage. Boat floated well but wanted external fuel tank and gear shift. So I bought 4 h.p. four stroke Yamaha. Boat still floats a little low by engine. It is around 50 pounds. It does alright pushing the boat. Only use thruddle a little above start in came conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.