Mattress source

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
We are contemplating replacing the mattress in the aft cabin of our Hunter 38.
The mattress is 10 years old now and isn't as comfortable as it once was.

Does anyone have a source for a replacement mattress that they'd recommend?

One option we are considering is one of the local shops that custom make home mattresses but not sure if they'd be equipped to make one for use in the boat environment.

Wife doesn't think she wants memory foam because she fears it will be too hot.
Current mattress is roughly queen size and in one piece. Contemplating whether something that is split or hinged would work to make it easier to handle when I need to get under it.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Artisans Mattress advertises boat mattresses that are hinged, and in "Every Imaginable Shape".

Jun 2, 2004
Beneteau 393 Lake Texoma, Texas
We purchased two custom sized mattresses from Portland Boat Mattress (boatmattress.com) several years ago. We elected to order 8" latex with pillow top. Portland provided a template kit prior to finalizing the order. One mattress is for the forward pullman berth and the other for the main, aft cabin. Both are hinged. Bottom line, one of the best mattresses we have ever slept on and the workmanship was outstanding. The only mistake we made was ordering the 8" foam. Options included 6", 7" and 8." I understand that the comfort level is the same for all thicknesses, but the 8" version carries considerable extra weight and, even when folded, is a bear to get in the cabin. As the aft mattress covers the transmission and one of the house batteries, it is a regal PITA to manipulate the mattress for routine access to those mechanical areas. Bottom line, the final product was an awesome upgrade, but I would definitely stick with the 6" latex if ordering again.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Once you go to a spring mattress in a boat, you’ll never go back. Zzzzzzzzzzz

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Doug Tell me why the spring mattress is so good on a boat? Do you add a pillow top to the springs?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Had one made for our last boat from Portland mattress..... have to say they were as great as the mattress. Will have them make a new one for our new boat. Great quality plus comfortable. Had the 6” foam with topper and was perfect.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Thanks for the information. Will start investigating.

Was shipping a significant cost consideration?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Thanks for the information. Will start investigating.

Was shipping a significant cost consideration?
No..... every dime we’ll worth it. Including the custom sheets my wife got from them

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I highly recommend these guys:

Zeno Mattress and Marine Bedding

zenos.png

I have two home mattresses from them, and will have them do my boat when needed.

My son is sleeping on one of their Latex foam mattresses that was originally mine as a child. We had it recovered with new fabric by them 16 years ago when he was 2 years old, but an over 50 year old mattress, that is still like new. They are not cheap, but you cannot beat the quality workmanship.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I found a local company that makes boat mattresses along with regular bedding. Picked it up today. They did an amazing job. We had the mattress made in two pieces instead of one large one so it is easier to handle and to get under it to service the air conditioner. They put a zipper in to hold it together and then a flap over the zipper so we won’t feel it.

AE924D14-4A53-4FA9-8286-912CF769E6FF.jpeg
2B287C11-2D24-408B-B71B-AEE08196DBEF.jpeg

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We went to a local upholsterer for our bunk mattresses(cushions). They offered a wide range of different types of foams with varying degrees of softness. They also came to the boat to measure, for a custom fit. (Adding a "yacht" to their portfolio was worth it to them.) They also had a big selection of fabrics, including Sunbrella. The kicker, however, was the Froli interlocking plastic spring system we installed underneath. The different shapes they provide support the mattress all over, and the firmness can be customized by using stiffer or softer springs. The air space they make under the cushions helps keep mold at bay as well as preventing condensation. Froli Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC