Craig - thanks for the link. Do you know what kind of boat is he
sailing? Trevor (V2915)

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Craig
Sent: August 2, 2011 10:22 PM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [AlbinVega] Matt Rutherford

If you have not checked Matt Rutherford's blog
Solo Around the Americas Under Sail | An audacious attempt at sailing the Northwest Passage and circumnavigating entirety of both continents, to benefit Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating lately you may be interested to know
that he has found a route north of the ice field in Baffin Bay and has
entered Lancaster Sound north of Baffin Island. I'm impressed. (Solo, in
a plastic boat, in the ice . . . good grief!).

Craig

Oct 2, 2005
If you have not checked in on Matt Rutherford's trip through the northwest passage this would be a good time. Solo Around the Americas Under Sail | An audacious attempt at sailing the Northwest Passage and circumnavigating entirety of both continents, to benefit Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating An effort is being made to raise funds for backup water maker and I'm sure a bit of help would be appreciated. Contributions can be made directly from his website but time is short as he is nearing Dutch Harbor, AK, the planned rendevous. I think it a remarkable effort, and I probably don't need to mention that his success simply adds to your Vega's already solid reputation.

Craig V1519 Tern

Dec 16, 2011
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Some of us will get around in our Vegas and some of us will fail to get too far from the harbour. It is all of little importance, all that really matters is we have a passion and belief like Matt has. That's all I need. FORTITUDINE VINCIMUS John C...

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Well said.

John. V1447 Breakaway

John Kinsella
Mathematics and Statistics Dept
University of Limerick

Phone 0035361202148
Web jkcray.maths.ul.ie

Oct 30, 2019
That's the thing about Vegans - we seem by and large to really be sailors.
Sailing books and sailing talk are very fine, but sailing, on whatever scale
and ambition one can manage, is the important thing.

May I add, for our cousins across the pond, that John's most apt quote is
from our first president (Teddy) Roosevelt, who served 1901 - 1909.
The Man in the Arena - April 23, 1910 - Theodore Roosevelt Speeches- Roosevelt Almanac

Nicholas H. Walsh P.A.

120 Exchange Street

P.O. Box 7206

Portland ME 04112

207/772-2191

Fax 207/774-3940

This email is from a law firm and may contain material that is confidential
or privileged. If you suspect you were not the intended recipient, please
delete the email and give us a call.

Dec 16, 2011
I am an ex Brit Para now living in Canada and I stole the quote from an ex Boot neck (Royal Marine) by the name of Peter Goss from his book "Close to the wind". (His story is well worth the read). I understand that it was indeed (Teddy) Roosevelt who uttered the words. I find them inspirational as are Matt's voyages. I doubt you'll ever have a better president or for that matter a better quote, but we can all live in hope. There are a lot of worse things in this world than putting yourself at risk for the benefit of others and I for one hope it is contagious. Seriously John C...

Oct 30, 2011
Many thanks Nico - I was wondering about the source of such a fine
sentiment - I should have guessed it originated from the the USA! I
spent a month in California last year and was immensely impressed with
the awesome country and the wonderful people. I had assumed Matt was
already a national celebrity because of his exploits? Does he get
national TV coverage?

Sep 9, 2006
I haven't heard this quote by Theodore Roosevelt known as "The Critic" or "Man in the Arena" in many moons. I had a poster in my office to encourage my employees. Unfortunately the good ones left the harbor even in bad weather & I was left with the timid ones. lol
Fair winds to all with a few gusts mixed in!

John R. Devany
Southern Comfort Too

Sent: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:13 PM
Subject: [AlbinVega] Matt Rutherford
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Some of us will get around in our Vegas and some of us will fail to get too far from the harbour. It is all of little importance, all that really matters is we have a passion and belief like Matt has. That's all I need. FORTITUDINE VINCIMUS John C...

Jan 13, 2001
In case plans emerge for a welcome-home party for Matt in Annapolis, please know that out-of-town guests will be welcome at my place, or on Unity, which is nearby. - Dennis

Jan 13, 2001
This info comes via drum network, but believed to be accurate. Matt was successfully resupplied, and never stopped sailing during the 20 minutes or so. Currently, the anticipated arrival date is April 14. No word today about welcoming plans. Drumstick broke.

Jun 8, 2005
Hi Dennis,

Re Solotheamericas welcome party

Things look pretty definite now! Is your offer still valid?

2 Vegans plan to fly over from Holland around april 14.

Krgrds Rob Kloosterman

Van: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com] Namens
Dennis
Verzonden: donderdag 9 februari 2012 16:54
Aan: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Onderwerp: [AlbinVega] Matt Rutherford

In case plans emerge for a welcome-home party for Matt in Annapolis, please
know that out-of-town guests will be welcome at my place, or on Unity, which
is nearby. - Dennis

Jan 13, 2001
Matt R. and St. Brendan were 5 miles off Barbados last night. CRAB is reporting that he will be in the Chesapeake between "mid and late April," but offers nothing more definite. Fundraising has picked up, as has the spirit of optimism. CRAB is planning a gala welcome, but as yet has not set a date. Does anybody know where I can pick up an old winch handle? I still have the MD6A crank for anyone interested.

May 30, 2006
Ebay sells tons of winch handles..
Bacons in annapolis has used ones and ... they have cheap chinese ones for like $12. I like these cause I dont cry as much when they go ker-plunk!
gh

Oct 30, 2019
Hi Dennis,

I might be interested in the handle. Where are you located (in general)? You could also shoot me an email at j (dot) hunter9999 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Jan 13, 2001
The arrival of Matt and his Vega in Annapolis has been postponed until April 21. His blog tells of the recent travails that have occasioned this move. The local paper, the "The Capital" has an article on the front page which can be found on the website www.HometownAnnapolis.com. U.S. Senator Tom Harken also has made a speech on the Senate floor regarding the event. (Harken is from Iowa, a well-known sailing paradise). The CRAB website (www.crabsailing.org) has up-to-date information. Us locals are looking forward to a lively celebration. Wish you could be here. BTW Matt is already laying plans for his next adventure, though he is awfully anxious to get off St. Brendan.

Jul 24, 2002
According to
Solo Around the Americas Under Sail | An audacious attempt at sailing the Northwest Passage and circumnavigating entirety of both continents, to benefit Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating, it looks like Matt is very close to completing his circumnavigation (by definition when he crosses his outbound track). HURRAH FOR MATT! There are already some photos of his Vega off Virginia Beach. Unfortunately, it seems the light northerly is pushing him back a bit - what a bit of bad luck so close to the goal.

I suspect he'll be in Annapolis quite a bit earlier than April 21 - shouldn't take him more than another day or two (although one never knows with the wind).

- Sebastian (V1060 VegaLyra)

Aug 29, 2011
Although Matt did not build his Vega, he's up there with Joshua Slocum and Knox Johnson (circumnavigators who built their own boats) and John Denny, who has virtually built his Vega (well you guys had quite a hand in it) but not yet circumnavigated. Go for it, John. Have you launched yet?

Tom

Sep 13, 2002
No need to temper the sentiments:

- Knox Johnston didn't build Suhaili.
- Joshua Slocum built Liberdade to sail from Brazil, but his circumnavigation was in Spray, a converted oyster boat.

Alisdair