Matrix 2100 AIS - Update

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
This spring I installed a Standard Horizon Matrix 2100 AIS VHF. The unit does a lot and is a great VHF and a good AIS RX unit. I am not however very sold on AIS at this point in time. The unit was good enough that when hit by lightning I replaced it with the same exact model.

As one who sails in the NE AIS is a nice ADDITION but AIS is no panacea or a replacement for radar, at least not yet and in my humble opinion.

Roughly 95% of the boats we encounter along the Maine coast are NOT displaying AIS, and neither are we with the Matrix 2100 so we are more part of the problem rather than solution at this point.

When we do get a vessel on AIS the system can be very SLOW to update the TX ships ACTUAL location. I have actually taken photos of my screen, see below, showing the vessel off my beam when the vessel TXng is now actually off my bow and already well passed me.

In real fog this is an UNSAFE feel good device that could potentially cause real harm if not used in conjunction with radar as a supplement or very carefully tracked during the refresh blips. In order to make the most efficient use of the AIS bandwidth available, vessels that are at anchor, mooring or dock or moving slowly are set to TX on a less frequent basis than those that are moving faster. The AIS refresh rate can range from as long as 3 minutes to as fast as 2 seconds for a fast moving vessel. The big problem is that not all boats are supplying SOG/STW info and you can be often guessing at the refresh rate. AIS class A boats are more accurate relative to what they are doing and tend to give the most information.

AIS needs to be used with respect if using them in an area that gets fog and with the understanding that at this point only some commercial ships and a small handful of pleasure vessels use and TX AIS.

These photos should give you an idea of how inaccurate, compared to radar, AIS can be. We were doing 6 - 6.2 under sail and that boat was moving slightly faster than us but not TXng SOG. Look at my position on the chart at .3 nm range compared to the AIS vessel in red. If this was in fog, and your only device for collision avoidance was AIS, this could be very dangerous if you had not been tracking it for a while or they made a sudden course change. This was in bright sun so no danger and I only wish I had been spinning my dome. I moved less than .1 of a nautical mile when the AIS boat went from photo position #1 to position #2 in a split second refresh rate. Not cool if in pea soup and this is why I don't feel AIS is ready for a prime time "replacement" of radar.

Sorry for the blurry photo.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Mainsail???

Hi I don't know too much about AIS except what info gets on this forum but you said you have AIS on the new VHF and are showing it on your Garmin GPS,is that how it works it the VHF radio is wired to the GPS and than show's the AIS ship on your GPS.
I guess in that situation I would have radar on andthan the VHF would be show any ships tx AIS.
Nick

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Wow very interesting. So I guess AIS plots the position of with a combination of TXed coordinates and dead reckoning using TXed SOG and heading thereafter. In your case that info wasn't available. So instead you have an apparently anchored boat executing hyperspace jumps every update period. I suppose that a smart enough AIS might recognize that, and flag such boats.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
In Praise of AIS

Maine,
I have used AIS extensively since it was first introduced over five years ago. I use a single channel AIS receiver which can result in small delays in target acquisition and have a PC based Nav program (SeaPro) which gives CPA (Closest point of approach) and TCPA (Time to CPA) and displays these on screen. I also have a duplicate setup in my study at home and regularly monitor the two local ports of Southampton and Portsmouth.
Is your Standard Horizon a single or dual channel receiver on AIS?

I have found my system to be very accurate and far better than radar because it calculates the above from the transmitted lat/long of the other vessels and compares it with own vessel's lat/long. Radar's MARPA can only do this from calculations based on the distance moved between scans averaged over several minutes and then only so long as both vessels keep steady courses. (Yachts at sea don't do this).

As far as monitoring Class A transmissions from ships, the display is regularly updated with only small jumps in each vessel's position. Class B on leisure vessels is not good at all because of the lower frequency of transmissions and that the Class B set can only transmit when it can find an unused slot and cannot reserve one in advance. I wonder though if your VHF radio is feeding data to the Garmin as it comes in but that the Garmin is unable to process it fast enough to display on screen and thus misses some of the updates?
The greater majority of leisure vessels do not carry Class B AIS anyway so radar is one's only recourse in thick weather.
Many ships sets cannot decode class B static data so they may see you but have no idea who you are and cannot call you because they do not have your call sign.

If there are more than 25 vessels being tracked then even my PC can have trouble in keeping up with their movements - but it still updates several times each minute. In my area I am often tracking 40 or more ships over a 25 mile radius. This only happens with my rooftop antenna at home because my on board coachroof mounted 'rubber dubber' RIB type antenna only has a range of 10 miles.

International law requires all vessels over 300 GRT and all passenger vessels to operate AIS Class A at all times. If they do not they should be reported to the CG. Naval vessels are excused! I once remarked to the Royal Navy's Fleet Chief of Communications "I wouldn't like to meet a stealth aircraft carrier in mid Channel one foggy night". He replied it was their intention to transmit AIS when not in an 'alert' situation - but I have yet to see evidence of this.

In summary, I find:-
AIS is excellent for tracking (and avoiding) ships.
Not too good for leisure vessels, particularly those moving fast.
So you need radar as well as AIS.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
In summary, I find:-
AIS is excellent for tracking (and avoiding) ships.
Not too good for leisure vessels, particularly those moving fast.
So you need radar as well as AIS.
Agree 100% but up here in Maine commercial ships with AIS Class A are far and few between compared to many areas. The real problem in the fog are the vast majority of vessels not TXing any AIS data and pleasure craft that only updates periodically.

I have spoken with both Garmin and Standard Horizon and the delay rate I am seeing is not related to the NEMA speed. If there is any delay it would be in fractions of seconds not measured in minutes as I noted many AIS B boats TXng this summer up into the minutes before refresh..

As I mentioned above it's a good addition, but not yet a replacement for radar as some seem to think it is.

Why do they allow Class A ships to TX at dock when there are only so many "ports" available for the data? I know at a dock they may only be TXng ever three minutes but still once AIS gets more popular the band width, as currently applied, does not seem to support real time tracking when the system gets bogged down?? Thoughts? I really don't care to see a ship at a dock only when they have pulled away..

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Well if the system starts jamming up they will probably get smarter about TX'ing. Like only TX if you are 100m or more off your last TX'ed track. Ships at anchor would go silent ships altering course would TX often.

In SF bay the bigger the ship the more interested I am in knowing where it is. I kind of don't like the idea of everybody TXing as I worry this will obscure the big ships.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

I also have the SH radio. I don't have radar, rarely have fog. and don't often sail in poor visibility. For me, the AIS receive capability was better than nothing and didn't cost much. I do like to sail at night and there are ferries that cross the sound frequently. I figured the biggest benefit would be knowing which direction a ferry was moving so I could be sure to be out of the way early instead of late.

In truth, the AIS feature is not as useful as I thought it would be because the display on the remote mic is so small that it's almost useless. I have displayed it on my PC screen using seaclear and that is much easier to use, but requires the PC to be on and it stays below at the nav station.

AIS can never replace radar because not all boats will have AIS.

Still, the feature is useful and the price was right.

Barry

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
My AIS Experience...

...varies from Maine's with respect to the position-jumping. I have a Smart Radio single channel unit with an antenna splitter from my second VHF station and loaded into a PC netbook with SeaClear and Open CPN. I have been using it for two and a half years. I sail in a heavy commercial shipping area.

I have not experienced any of the position jumping Maine refers to. I have found that weak signals such as distant class A ones or sometimes class B recreational will sometimes show after the signal is lost and then 'jump' when it gets a fresh signal and tracks it for a while. Perhaps that's what he's experiencing. FWIW, I often track high speed ferries that run in the mid-30's and have not seen anomalies with respect to their transmissions.

Regardless, for my area and needs, AIS is a wonderful addition for route analysis, safety and night and restricted visibility passages. It saves a lot of radar plotting when you can ID a target as one on the AIS display and saves maneuvering around large commercial vessels when you can see their route and speed clearly.

I do not consider AIS a substitute for radar as Maine points out and would not pick it before radar on a priority list. I would tend to buy a used radar rather than a new AIS unit if I was on a limited budget and could only afford one. I also think it is nearly useless unless the information can be overlaid on a chart or radar image.

I am also concerned that class B TX's will overwhelm the system. I'm more concerned with commercial shipping and don't want the clutter I am already getting from the class B units.

At least that's my take on it.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
Using both VHF channels there are 4,500 slots for transmitted messages every minute.
The Self Organizing Time Division Multiple Access (SOTDMA) system inventors claim it is able to withstand a 400% overload and should other stations transmit out of turn then only the most distant (weakest) signals will be lost.
All this should mean no problems with 1000 vessels in the loop simultaneously.
My personal experience seems to indicate otherwise but still perfectly good with almost 100 vessels within range in freak reception conditions.
Also class 'B' leisure vessels inherently have lower priority so should not interfere with ship operations.
It is really for ships and we are just fortunate? that it is available to us.

For my money I give AIS top marks for keeping me out of the way of shipping in thick weather.
The little 'uns I can dodge!