Material for spacers inside H23 rudder head?

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
The large plastic "washers" that act as spacers between the rudder and the aluminum rudder head are pretty well disintegrated on my boat. What experience does anyone have with a good source of material to fashion replacements? I don't see any sort of replacement parts in this site's store.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
use nylon, acetal, or type 1 rigid PVC... look for a plastics supplier in your area.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2007
-Hunter -23 Kenora, Ontario, Canada
I used some plastic that is used for making heavy gaskets. I got it from an industrial pipe fitter. It's probably nylon.
-Chris

Apr 27, 2010
Good suggestions, thanks. Having a bit of trouble finding a local plastics supplier, but will keep trying and will also look online, for something like "nylon sheets" or "nylon stock."

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I needed a part for my H26 that was not listed on this site so I called the guys on this site. They had it ordered for me in 5 minutes. Give them a call....

Apr 27, 2010
That one just might work, if a bit pricey. I will ask Phil what size and thickness it is. A piece of plastic cut from a toy or similar might work, as this is not a critical part (I tend to leave my rudder down almost all the time).

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
I am on the hard in the South Pacific right now waiting on my spacer. Hunter said it was UHMW Polyethylene. They didn't have that in Tahiti so they are sending me it made out of teflon which is almost as good but a lot more expensive. I had them make two so I will be ready for next time. The first one lasted 20 years so I should be good until I'm in a wheelchair :)

Apr 27, 2010
If you supply me a ticket to where you are in Tahiti I will donate the unused UHMW sheeting I have. Enough to make 7 more 4x4x1/8 squares. How often will you see a bargain like that?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thank you for helping a fellow sailor Isaksp00. I think we all wish could fly over to help him but got too many honey doos to do.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
If you supply me a ticket to where you are in Tahiti I will donate the unused UHMW sheeting I have. Enough to make 7 more 4x4x1/8 squares. How often will you see a bargain like that?
Sorry but mine needs to be a little bigger. 8" inside diameter, 9" outside diameter, and at least 3/4" tall. My rudder and rudder post is huge :)