Masthead real estate

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Hey everyone, spring is slowly coming so I’m getting ready to tackle more projects before splashing the boat, my question is how do you fit everything on the masthead?
I have the antenna, the anchor light and windex
For the windex I was thinking about getting the model that fits on the antenna to take up less real estate on top, any ideas on how to get everything on top?
As for the windex what do you think about the model I’m considering? Is it as reliable as a stand alone model?

Attachments

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
You're right about spring coming; we're getting ready to tap our maples next week. But to refocus on boats... You have a plate attached to what looks like the aft end of the masthead, with the antenna mounted on it. It would make sense to perhaps mount another plate that would cover the opening that lets us see the halyards and perhaps project forward. You could mount the windex and anchor light on that. We have our setup with the AWI and anemometer projecting forward of he mast, the antenna and anchor light directly on top, and the windex aft, so it's easier to see. While you're up there you might want to try rearranging the antenna wire so that it makes a little dip before going into the mast. The way it's set up now, any rainwater that hits the antenna or the wire will be directed down the wire and into the mast. If you make the wire go just a touch below the hole in the mast and then go up into the mast, water will flow down the wire and drip off - and not got down inside the mast. Stay warm in the meantime!

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Good tip on the wire, I have to rewire the mast before getting the mast up anyway so I’ll do that as well, the plate which goes aft will be replaced with aluminum, the po used steel and it’s all rusted

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Different boat but I did what @PaulK suggested and put a cover plate on the masthead. Allows for more mounting options of the mast top equipment and keeps water out of the mast.

IMG_1798.JPG

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
First get rid of the steel and use fiberglass or aluminum.

Mount the antenna on the side of the mast. Put a drip loop on the antenna wire, although, with a deck stepped mast the drip loop is less critical as any water running down the mast will land on the mast step and drain on deck so long as there is a loop someway along its past.

Use a fiberglass batten that is attached to the mast head where the metal plate is located. The mounting holes can also be used for your anchor light.

At the end of the batten attach the windex.

The attached photo isn't great, however you can see how this works. My mast head is solid so the Tricolor is mounted more or less in the center.

IMG_0344.jpeg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My Windex is on a little arm. I'm guessing it was made by Davis Instruments but there isn't any logo or brand name on it. Antenna and masthead light are on what is essentially a Z brackets that are mounted to the side of the mast
Different boat but I did what @PaulK suggested and put a cover plate on the masthead. Allows for more mounting options of the mast top equipment and keeps water out of the mast.

View attachment 190270
Does the plate affect radio waves in any noticeable way?