Masthead Light

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
I notice on our masthead light it is dull and not bright like most that I see out at night. Is there a brighter light even LED that can replace it. Or do they make a strobe light for the masthead? And what's legal and not?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I raft with a number of other boats about every other weekend. It is obvious which ones are LED (mine included). They seem to have a larger vertical beam. I highly suggest going LED on as many boat fixtures as you can.

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
Did you install the LED on your masthead yourself? May I ask where did you purchase your LED at?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
The SBO store here sells excellent LED bulbs.

All you need is the type/model number of your light fixture

Jan 22, 2008
The SBO store here sells excellent LED bulbs.

All you need is the type/model number of your light fixture
+1. I think the SBO opening page has an ad for LEDs? Probably a 44 mm festoon, but maybe not???

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The requirement is for a 360 degree light visible to two miles. The advantage I see with an LED fixture is reliability as it will likely outlast your ownership of the boat. Replacing the bulb in an existing fixture with a hybrid LED bulb adds very little reliability as the majority of the problems are cause by rusted bulb sockets or poor electrical contacts. A quality fixture will sell for around $160+ while a bulb could be had for under $10. Not having to climb the mast when you are not prepared or just do not feel like it may be worth the $160.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I know this may be pedantic but it sounds like you are talking about an anchor light and not a "masthead light" which is a light for power driven vessels (including sailboats under power).

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I know this may be pedantic but it sounds like you are talking about an anchor light and not a "masthead light" which is a light for power driven vessels (including sailboats under power).
And we generally call a masthead light a steaming light, because it is on when we are steaming, but it's proper name is a masthead light and the white all around light at the top of the mast is the anchor light. We use these confusing terms to befuddle the novice sailor. :)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
And we generally call a masthead light a steaming light, because it is on when we are steaming, but it's proper name is a masthead light and the white all around light at the top of the mast is the anchor light. We use these confusing terms to befuddle the novice sailor. :)
And it works very well ;)
I suppose "steaming" comes from the era of steam powered ships.
I'm guessing it's dim for a couple reasons. The lens is clouded and needs replacement, and incandescent just aren't as bright as LED. A new LED fixture would take care of everything. A combo deck/steaming fixture would be a nice feature.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Replaced with Led and when anchored around many other boats ours is easy to find
because it is the brightest
Nick

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Great guidance here, @pumpkinpie . If you feel like climbing up a 5-story building (I'm deathly afraid of heights), for an extra $50-100, you can hire a guy to do this work on your masthead. The replacement of your anchor light is a 1/2 hour job (max) and involves three screws and two wire connections. If you replace only the bulb, the rusty connections and hazed-over lens are not corrected.

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
I believe you are correct. I'm talking about the light at the top of the mast. I assume from what I'm reading you can install a LED for the anchor light? Mine is so dem and I would like to upgrade.

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
Great guidance here, @pumpkinpie . If you feel like climbing up a 5-story building (I'm deathly afraid of heights), for an extra $50-100, you can hire a guy to do this work on your masthead. The replacement of your anchor light is a 1/2 hour job (max) and involves three screws and two wire connections. If you replace only the bulb, the rusty connections and hazed-over lens are not corrected.
If I'm going with LED does the housing need to be replaced? The 38 is 10 years old and I'm almost certain that the housing is just as old. Would it be recommended to replace this housing and LED at the same time? And is it possible to install a strobe light instead or is that illegal? I got the anchor light and steaming light confused.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Actually, the steaming light on sailing vessels is not usually on the masthead but about 2/3 of the way up the foremast and the masthead light is atop the highest mast for anchoring.

Jan 22, 2008
If I'm going with LED does the housing need to be replaced? The 38 is 10 years old and I'm almost certain that the housing is just as old. Would it be recommended to replace this housing and LED at the same time? And is it possible to install a strobe light instead or is that illegal? I got the anchor light and steaming light confused.
Nothing wrong with a strobe light, but IIRC, I believe they are used to indicate an emergency- not an anchor? As already stated, there are differences of opinions, so I suggest you go to Boat U.S. or West to see their guides on the matter.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Nothing wrong with a strobe light, but IIRC, I believe they are used to indicate an emergency- not an anchor? As already stated, there are differences of opinions, so I suggest you go to Boat U.S. or West to see their guides on the matter.
Yes, a strobe is an indication of needing help, NOT a suitable or legal anchor light. Using a strobe for an anchor light only succeeds as showing all who can see it that the boat's operator is ignorant.

Jan 22, 2008
Did you install the LED on your masthead yourself? May I ask where did you purchase your LED at?
Well, yes, "I" did. A friend climbed the mast as I am better suited as a line puller. You can get LEDs anywhere- especially this forum. EITHER CLIMB TO SEE WHAT THE OLD BULB IS, OR GET SEVERAL LEDs SO YOU HAVE ONE TO FIT. edit TO ADD: WHILE SOMEONE IS GOING up the mast, take picture of everything up there. Shroud attachment, antenna mounts, halyard exit and mast-top blocks, steaming light and anchor light, etc.

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
Well, yes, "I" did. A friend climbed the mast as I am better suited as a line puller. You can get LEDs anywhere- especially this forum. EITHER CLIMB TO SEE WHAT THE OLD BULB IS, OR GET SEVERAL LEDs SO YOU HAVE ONE TO FIT. edit TO ADD: WHILE SOMEONE IS GOING up the mast, take picture of everything up there. Shroud attachment, antenna mounts, halyard exit and mast-top blocks, steaming light and anchor light, etc.
Really good advice and thank you!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
An anchor light is a steady all white light visible for 360°.

Many people just replace the incandescent bulbs with LEDs and they work. However, there is some question about whether the lights continue to be approved by the USCG since the approval process testing is done with the OEM bulb.

A light fixture designed for LED use is a more expensive proposition, however, well designed LED fixtures are completely potted in epoxy which virtually eliminates corrosion.

Cheap LEDs and poorly designed LEDs can cause radio interference. There is plenty of information on the Web about this. MarineBeam is a good source of information and there was a bulletin put out by the USCG last fall about the problem.