Masthead light

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2008
S2 9.2C 1980 St. Leonard (Chesapeake Bay), MD
While up the mast on the 4th to unstick my jib and furler I decided to check my masthead light (it has not worked since I got the boat). I discovered the lens was broken and I was able to get the bulb (size 90 - 2 contact bayonet mount) out thru the hole in the lens. I was not prepared while up there to remove the lens/fixture and want to be prepared to repair/replace it the next time I make the trip up. My question is - does anyone know whether there was a standard fixture used on the S2, in particular the 9.2C? It looks like it is the configuration of the older style round, horizontal mount Perko with a 360 degree clear/white lens. Any info would be helpful, especially if that is the one I need, anyone know what the part # is and best place to get the replacement lens?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
While up the mast on the 4th to unstick my jib and furler I decided to check my masthead light (it has not worked since I got the boat). I discovered the lens was broken and I was able to get the bulb (size 90 - 2 contact bayonet mount) out thru the hole in the lens. I was not prepared while up there to remove the lens/fixture and want to be prepared to repair/replace it the next time I make the trip up. My question is - does anyone know whether there was a standard fixture used on the S2, in particular the 9.2C? It looks like it is the configuration of the older style round, horizontal mount Perko with a 360 degree clear/white lens. Any info would be helpful, especially if that is the one I need, anyone know what the part # is and best place to get the replacement lens?
does the lens have the same shape as your bow lights or the steaming light ....if so you can find it in the perko catalogue ....i am going to upgrade mine to LED in hopes that it will last a lot longer ....you can down load the perko catalogue off the net in pdf form...good luck...

regards

woody

May 2, 2008
It looks like it is the same shape but looks can be deceiving. I have looked at the Perko catalogue and I think it might be a 0964 light but can't tell for sure. I was hoping someone might know (especially someone who has replaced theirs or has/had their mast down). I intend to put a LED bulb in but need to have the right lens also.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
It looks like it is the same shape but looks can be deceiving. I have looked at the Perko catalogue and I think it might be a 0964 light but can't tell for sure. I was hoping someone might know (especially someone who has replaced theirs or has/had their mast down). I intend to put a LED bulb in but need to have the right lens also.
i have my mast down and the mast head off in my shop i will look today and tell you what is on mine...havent messed with it in about three months now but when i was checking things out all the nav lights were perko including the steaming and mast light so i am sure thats what they are ...i am going to rewire everything in the mast along with new running rigging and coax for the vhf on the mast head light i am thinking about going to a little better setup ....i feel that high visability is important in that area especially at night on the hook.......

regards

woody

May 2, 2008
Woody, thanks! Mine sits on top of a little 'leg' or pedestal that puts the light fixture an inch or 2 above the masthead. It looks like it has the standard Perko 3 screw configuration. If you are able to take and post a picture of yours, that may be helpful.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Woody, thanks! Mine sits on top of a little 'leg' or pedestal that puts the light fixture an inch or 2 above the masthead. It looks like it has the standard Perko 3 screw configuration. If you are able to take and post a picture of yours, that may be helpful.

ok will do ....that gives me a chance to practice my pic posting skills ....ohbtw i have almost got all my bottom paint scraped of excluding the keel area.....and from the looks of it i will be able to not repaint the deck as the gelcoat seems to be in good shape for sanding and buffing and waxing with exception to a few little gelcoat repairs ....got lucky on that one .....

regards

woody

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
see if this is what you have gary........

Attachments

May 2, 2008
YES! except that the top of my mast is flat and the light fixture actually sits at the top in the center of the masthead (the area where you have some sort of bracket next to the lens). Can you get measurements or part numbers or any other identifying info?

May 2, 2008
Is yours cracked? In the one picture it looks like it is.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Is yours cracked? In the one picture it looks like it is.
yes it is cracked and very old ....the thing on the top is a bracket for the wind speed/direction tranducer....the light its self is a perko..if you go back with original perko ck with sbo store i think they can get it for you ..beware that when you take out the screws that they may break on disassembly.....

regards

woody

ps the bracket that holds the light is in house fab work by s2 back in the day

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Woody, the bracket for the wind instrument on your mast head looks like it blocks a 360 degree view of your light...which isn't kosher as I'm sure you are aware.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you are correct it does block the 360 circle and when i put it back up it will not be that way i dont want any thing to hamper my safety when out on the water that is in my control.....as you know the boat was in a slavage yard when i bought it and was the casualty of lots of neglegt and you have no idea what needs to be done for this solid and sound boat ....heck i am even pulling the shower pan out of the head area to make sure that what ever is under there is sound i do want this boat to be ship shape when it goes back in the water ....i have a lot to do to this boat and the crazy thing is it has to be done like a puzzel that interlocks to make it whole again but it is fun going through this and i will be sorta sad and glad at the same time when it comes launch day because i do like working on theses things and learning about the requirements and all....just hope some of my work is not considered overkill ........

regards

woody

May 2, 2008
I went to the boat today (didn't stay long in the heat!) and looked thru my spare parts bin. I found 2 extra clear lenses so I should be good to once again ascend the mast....when it gets a little cooler. I am assuming that what I found will fit what is at the top of the masthead. They are the standard old style Perko lenses.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
They are the standard old style Perko lenses.

yes and there are like gold when you say PERKO lol .......i am intertaining putting a longer tube at the top and useing a frusnel style lens...i think they are cool and they are also the style that is in the light houses here on the ga coast....

regards

woody

May 2, 2008
If I had my mast down (like you do) or had better access to getting up mine, I would probably upgrade. I think you are smart to do it. Just remember to 'adjust' your total height above the water when you eventually encounter that low bridge!

Status
Not open for further replies.