Mastgates

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hi All,

I am having a problem keeping the sail stops on my mast. It seems they like the water more than the mast.... Of course I usually find out I am missing the stop only after I have gone out for a sail and I go to raise the mail only to have it luffing in the wind out of its track. This is a fun time, as all who have been there can attest. It is especially fin when your non-sailing girlfriend is on board. Oh boy!!

In any event, I want to get some opinions on these mastgates from folks that are using them on their boats. Your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated!

All the best,
Kevin

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
I'm done with the sail track stops, my apologies for not knowing the proper term. Those stops have the tendency to come unattached and lost to the drink.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I installed the Mastgate on my MacGregor. It involved closing up the slot with a hammer and 2x4. I sold the boat but the system worked well. My Hunter has a screw-on gate. I only have to remove it twice a year to take the main on and off.

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
I'm using the 3d printed gate from Mastgates.com-- have used it last 3 seasons with good results, occasionally my sail slugs catch on it, but overall I've been very pleased with it.

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
I bought the mast gates from Catalina Direct. Work great, never seem to catch on anything. They use machine screws to hold them in. No problem drilling or tapping the holes.

I only take the sail off the mast/boom a couple of times per year though. Not sure if taking them on and off every time I sailed would work withought either stripping the holes or losing some screws!

Mike

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
just keep about 10 of the screws onboard and don't drop the gates themselves.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I bought the CD mast gates years ago and would put them on when the boat would be on the water for a few days at a time but usually wouldn't bother with them on a day sail and would use a sail stop instead. There was a post somewhere a couple of months ago where the poster modified his CD mast gates' slots so they could stay on the mast. I drilled and dremeled mine the same way but have yet to put them on the boat since I'm still healing from shoulder surgery and Kellie Marie is under a tarp.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
call Tom Lugue at Mastgates.com, very helpful guy, I have the 3d printed one, the metal ones are great too....simple, inexpensive, necessary IMO...
It sounds like Mastgates are the ticket. I'm going to measure my opening and give Tom a call to place an order. Thanks all!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Save hassles and buy one from mastgates.com. i got the bungie hinged one and it works great, with no hardware to lose.
That's the one we have. It works 100%, we love it. I keep a spare set of the plastic push pins and shock cord on hand, but have only replaced them once, and even then just as preventative maintenance, not because they failed.

MAST GATES.jpg