Mast wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
I'm new to this '93 Catalina tall rig and sorting out minor issues. In particular - steaming light is out. 0.1v to light suggests corroded connection some where. I'm trying to trace wiring and considering pulling a new wire up the mast. Can anyone provide guidance, diagram of what's going on inside the mast etc to help with this repair? Also, preparing to install chart plotter and wheel pilot - would welcome hearing from anyone who has undertaken these tasks.

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 30mkIII Elk Rapids, MI.
Wiring

Hi Jimm; Your wires for the mast run up a piece of conduit riveted to the inside of the mast. There should be a 4 prong square connector at the base of the mast. You can access the wire bundle by removing the turning sheves (double blocks) at the bottom of the mast and fishing the wire bundle out of the hole. clean up the contacts on each prong and on the female ground connector and it will probably fix the problem.(Don't forget to relieve the tension on the halyards before removing the double block.) As to the wheel pilot and the chart plotter, it is a tight squeeze for some of the wiring, but other than than, it is pretty straight forward installation. Let us know if you have any specific questions. fair winds Dave

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Mast wriing

Dave - Thanks! I was able to see the wiring thru the starboard side of the mast base and will access the port side as you described. I assume it will be possible to pull a new wire if needed using the existing one? As for chart plotter et al - Where is it tight? I will change to a new double bend pedestel guard to accomodate the instruments - are you suggesting 1.25" rather than 1" tubing? I'll need to re-run all wiring. It appears the wiring runs down the guard and thru the steering quadrant to below decks.

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 30mkIII Elk Rapids, MI.
1" OK

Hi Jimm; One inch is OK, I have a 4 instrument NavPod (Wind, Speed, Depth, Autopilot) plus a chart plotter and they all fit, just a little tight. What type plotter and Autopilot are you installing? fair winds Dave PS, I may be "off the air" for a few days, heading for boat and WIFI has been not operating for a while.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Mast wiring

Dave - I have a C-80 chartplotter and S-1 wheel pilot and GPS antenna to interconnect eventually with a DSC VHF. Appears I'll need to change out the straight pedestal guard for a double bend and invest in a 20" Navpod to accomodate these two. Existing pod has 4 ST-50 displays

Status
Not open for further replies.