Mast Wiring

Jul 28, 2016
Hello - looking for some advise/guidance. I recently purchased a 1989 Capri 22. It is not currently equipped with a mast head VHF antenna, or a steaming/anchor light, something that I need to add before launch.

Need to some ideas to secure the wiring in the mast. I don't want the VHF coax cable or lighting wires to interfere with the halyards, or slap against the mast as the boat moves around. Please share your solutions.

Thanks,

Chris Delling

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
I did not do anything special to reduce the "slapping" of the wires in my mast. There is no appreciable noise to my ears, but I am also a day sailor.

The external halyards make much more noise is not secured away from the mast. I replace the 1/4" bolt of the deck-mounted halyard turning blocks with a forged eye. I clip the halyards there when not used AND use them for stabilizing bridle attachment points when raising the mast.

A simple way to reduct the wire motion is to attach a pair of zip-ties with the ends uncut every 3 to 4 feet. This will stop any lateral motion that would cause the "slapping" yet not interfere with the halyard operation.