Mast wiring slap

PSR

Sep 17, 2013
Catalina 27 4743 MB Yacht Harbor, Richmond CA
I've searched the forums and found many threads on the subjects of mast wiring, conduit installation, etc. Some of them refer to using cable ties to stop the slapping. This puzzled me, but in thinking about the approach, it seems as though heavy duty ties with long ends on the ties might put pressure on the mast that would hold the wiring in place or at least keep it from slapping. Is that what the cable tie method does?
Best to all!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Many have used the ties, probably with good results. I took a little different approach...

... with the Mac and it solved the problem. More here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/outside-41.html

Sumner
==========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Put three or more ties at the same height - spread tails equally around the bundle of wires; repeat every 2 feet

Les

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Lots of ideas have been tried.
One of the issues experienced, if your have halyards running down inside the mast anything sticking out has the potential of getting caught or chaffed.
For that reason thin walled pvc pipe has been the go to method. Sucked up to one side of the mast the cables sit in their own space. This leaves plenty of room for the halyards to run free.
If your halyards are on the out side of the mast, then this is a moot point.
I have seen that foam insulation used. Only issue is it eventually disintegrates and forms a pile of dust at the mast base. It clogs weep holes in the mast base and creates the opportunity for water to intrude inside your cabin.
If you are removing your mast each year then this can be managed by inspection.
Your boat your choice.

PSR

Sep 17, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. When I had the mast down in a shop in 2013-2014, I pulled the old wiring, and I removed the 2 foam "bow ties" that seemed like a clutzy approach to something I didn't think of them. In retrospect, this probably was done to slap the wiring and internal halyards from slapping around. When I rewired, I pulled the three cables through a 1" clear plastic tube, hung the tube from a clamp at the masthead, and called it done. This thing slaps around quite a bit in a chop. I'm going to drop the stick again soon and have the standing rigging inspected, and then I'll pull the wiring and wrap the tubing with cable ties to stop the slapping as suggested. The ties seem flexible enough not to cause a problem by fouling the halyards.....
I hope everyone up north is getting out on the water by now!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just finished my 2018 christening cruise. 4 days 125NM. A motor cruise to test a new prop and a sail across the Juan D Fuca strait to see how she sails under the new prop. Success on all accounts. Thanks for asking.
Just be sure you have a fairlead in the mast for your halyards. Nothing is more frustrating than needing to drop the sail and the halyard gets stuck.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Get some poly backer rod. Cut into 1" marshmallows. String them with a fid like popcorn on a Christmas Garland, about every 1 to 2 feet. They won't slip

PSR

Sep 17, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Don't make them too taught. Think of your halyards, if they are slapping you can loosen them a bit to reduce it.

Nov 1, 2009
Catalina 27 Worton
I had an 86 Catalina 27 the conduit came loose from the mast. I could hear it flopping back an forth in the mast. I took the mast down and cut a piece of 2x4 the shape of the inside of the mast with a cutout for the conduit. I screwed it to a long 2x4 and pushed it up the inside the mast. It would hold the conduit tight against the front of the mast. I pop riveted back in place.
Not an easy job but it was done right.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
How about those foam noodles they use in swimming pools? A few along the length should do the trick

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I did that on the Ranger and put large zip ties around sections of the mast three at a time for about twenty feet in the middle of the mast. Worked pretty well. The other option with riveting a PVC conduit to the mast and running wires in it seemed way more complicated. And then you have those wires rubbing against the rivet ends.