Mast wiring question.

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
I have a cat 30 and will be stepping mast one day soon. I’ve been trying to tract out where the wiring goes from the panel to the mast. So far i can find it goes aft around tank then disappears. Nowhere to be found from then on. Looked hi and low. Thought maybe I’d see it near base of mast inside but no. Nothing down in bilge area at all. Nothing around perimeter. Where would Catalina hidden it. I was tempted to open up the mast post but that would destroy the finish.
Anyone help.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
On my 78 it goes up into the liner aft of the galley, travels forward to the mast in the overhead to the step.

I replaced everything as they did not used tinned wire in the old builds. I drilled a hole in the compression post and ran a conduit to the gear locker drawers then ran the new wire aft from there.

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
So is the compression post hollow. That is if I drill a hole in it to find the wires it would be okay. The wiring as i said disappears at fuel tank. Seems to head forward somewhere. Catalina says they might have ran it up into head liner or out to perimeter of boat. I can’t find it no place once it leaves fuel tank area. Tried looking in where cupboards by stove are and in bilge area and engine area. Nothing.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Try looking behind the trim boards below the ports that cover the hull to deck joint, my cat 22 wiring runs there then goes up to headliner even with mast step and over to mast step area.

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
Talked with Cat Direct. Kent sent me drawing from original wiring setup. Apparently was run up into combing area. Hidden of course. Now I know. I’d like to rip out all the old stuff in our boat and start over. Quite a mess from electrical to plumbing. So many years of mods and running plumbing, wiring for some piece of equip. Never taking out old stuff. Quite a mess. It’s no wonder i get all mixed up trying to trace something. Try to trace a wire climbing all over to find out it dead ends someplace.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@dnimigon Welcome to the world of old boats. Do it once, do it right and you will make yourself and all future boat owners very happy.