mast wiring q's

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
hey everyone, just came back from the boat yard, the boat is finally free of snow and ice, went inside and all is looking good, less than a cup of water inside, so no mold, yé.

now I was planning on fishing the new coax using the old one but the wind managed I don't know how to slowly but surely pull out the old coax :(

now the mast is roughly 32 feet long but my fish tape is only 25ft long, any ideas on how to rewire it, I was thinking about removing the base of the mast to have access, is that too drastic a measure or is there an easier method I'm not seeing?
I also have to replace the wiring for the anchor light and deck/steaming light, so the method used will be applied there as well.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
thinking about removing the base of the mast to have access, ...
Can you clarify?
Assuming you mean step the mast (remove it), that isn’t difficult on a 26 ft boat and would make it simple to run any cables you want. Not to mention facilitating a thorough inspection of the rigging and fittings for safety reasons.
You can buy a 40 foot fish tape on Amazon for $12

Aug 17, 2013
I meant removing the rivets that hold the masts base to have easier access to the interior of the mast, the mast is already down

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I meant removing the reverts that hold the masts base to have easier access to the interior of the mast, the mast is already down
Yes you can remove the rivets, just put new ones back in. ;)

They may be a heavier rivet than the standard home rivet gun can handle. If they are SS be sure to coat the new ones with some Tea-Gel or other anti-seize.

Aug 17, 2013
I already have the industrial riveter, I was looking at monel rivets, but man are they expensive
I might go and get a new longer fish tape and fish it through, not sure yet, but I have to make up my mind soon, got to get her ready before splash time

Jan 11, 2014
I also have to replace the wiring for the anchor light and deck/steaming light, so the method used will be applied there as well.
Use the old wire for the anchor light to pull a messenger line up the mast. When running the new wires run a messenger line up the mast along with the wire. Keep doing that until all the wires are run and leave a messenger line in the mast. Nylon Mason's Line works well.

Aug 17, 2013
ok, so I bought the mason's line, waiting on a fish tape of the right length, now since all my lights will be led and my mast is 32ft high, what size wire should I get? 16g or 18g?

Jan 11, 2014
16 ga. Not because of the current because of the weight of the wire. Some would even say use 14 ga.

I think if you use 16 ga duplex you'll be fine, that's what I used on my 55' mast. If you go with individual wires use 14 gauge. The cover for the duplex wire will help support the weight of the wire as it hangs in the mast.

Aug 17, 2013
thanks Dave, I think I'll get 16/3 for the deck/steaming light and 16/2 for the anchor light.
Does that seem good to you?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
As these wires are likely in a conduit it is best to pull them all out at once while pulling a heavy pull rope in. Then pull all your wires back in at once. You can buy a wire pulling soap if you need it. Do not tape the wires together and try to feed them in without crossing. This so that you may pull one out in the future. You should not need the fish tape.

Aug 17, 2013
ok so from the mast top to the steaming light the tracer wire is passed, but from the steaming light to the base I can't get it to exit the mast. the mast base is screwed but the screws are rusted, so I'll have to grind them or find a way to get them out.
but boy was it windy to work on the boat.

Aug 17, 2013
So the wiring of the mast is done, wasn't easy, but it's done.
fished the Coax, anchor light and deck/steaming light, almost finished wiring the deck/steaming light, only one wire left to solder, the wind prevented me from finishing the solder job, installed the anchor light/windex bracket, tomorrow I'll solder those wires.

al that will be left is the connectors from the mast to the boat, I'll wait until the mast is up to get the right length.

Tomorrow I might start grinding the through hulls to glass them over, not all of them but 2 or 3 of them.