Mast Wiring Connections

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
Hunter used a 10 connection terminal block screwed to a panel that is above a v-berth closet. To access it you need to remove and work through a small panel in the top of the closet. It sounds easy but it is a major pain to bend squirm and make connections in a dark space through panel barely big enough to stick my arms through. It is a perfect example of doing a job on a boat. I unscrewed the terminal block from the panel and pulled it through closet top panel so it is a little easier to work on but is still a pain if you ask me. Has anybody changed this set up maybe used bullet or pin connectors. I'm thinking plug connectors with maybe 4 connections per plug but not sure yet how big of plug would pass through the deck pipe opening. Any other ideas or upgrades folks have tried or dreamed of would be welcome.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here is my solution on my CAL. Note I have a deck stepped mast. The lines come through the deck into the cabin. I chose to make it easy to remove the lines then pull them up and out once the mast is lifted.
IMG_1726.jpeg

Then attached a chase to cover the wires. The chase was fashioned by a craftsman friend, @LeslieTroyer in his expansive shop.
IMG_1832.jpeg

It is fortunate to have such talented friends.

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 33.5 Sackets Harbor
This similar issue has been just forced upon me. My new marina just cut all my wires when they stepped my mast. What they want are multi connectors inside the base of the mast for easy disconnect for them. I have just started looking for some water resistant connectors for what looks like 22 gauge wire for my Raymarine instruments. Has anyone else had to remedy this?

Oct 28, 2019
Hunter 38 North Shore of Boston
Take a look at mil spec or deutsch connectors. They come in different shapes/pin numbers and provide a weather resistant seal. I have 2 terminal blocks currently and will be replacing them come the spring.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I rewired my First 310 mast wiring connections so they connect inside the mast. I had a similar terminal block inside the boat and removed it. Ran wires up through the deck in the center of the mast base and used Weather-pack connectors to make the connections, waterproof connectors. I set up the male and female so that there is a male and a female at the deck end and the same (opposite) on the wires in the mast. In that way, there is no way to connect the wrong wires in the mast to the wrong deck plug. See the picture. I set a tube in the deck of sufficient height that if water accumulated in the mast step it would run over the top of the step before being able to run down the tube into the boat. Weather-pack connectors are available in a various numbers of conductors.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I like the idea of making the connection on the deck level. That way I don't have to worry about the size of the plug.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Now on my third boat where I changed the wiring to 4 and 5 pin flat trailer harnesses.. Never had a single issue...

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 33.5 Sackets Harbor
Thank you everyone for some great solutions, tkwhalen thank you for starting this thread. We sailors are a creative bunch!