Mast Wiring: Anchor and Steaming Lights Hunter 356

Jun 30, 2020
Hunter 356 Noank, CT
Can anyone help with how to connect the 3 wires from the mast? The colors don't match up... The yellow could be the ground that goes back to the panel. Does the blue attach to it? I see I have 4 lugs open and 3 wires... the gray wires have a colored stripe on them. The brown one that is shown to be attached is probably wrong.... Cheers, Jerry

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Have you considered trying each one, one at a time? Since YOU are there on YOUR boat with YOUR wiring,and it appears it may not be OEM, I'm not sure how anyone else could ever hope to help identify each wire on YOUR boat.

Since each function is most likely switched at your electrical panel, run a separate ground wire to your battery bank negative, and touch the other wires, then turn on one switch at a time. If you connect ground to ground, nothing "bad" will happen. When something lights, you'll know what it is.

Good luck.

Jun 30, 2020
Hunter 356 Noank, CT
Thanks Stu... the suggestion to run a wire back to a known ground is a good one that I haven't tried yet....

Jun 30, 2020
Hunter 356 Noank, CT
Thanks Karellen. I see you also have the blue and brown wires coming from the mast.... do you recall what they were hooked up to?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The yellow replaced ground or black on DC or battery. If memory served me, the owners manual should show what the different wires went to. Check in archives under Jim Seamans and/or Java as he contributed a lot on his 356.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
The only thing I had on my mast, besides the block for the windvane wires, were anchor and steaming. So in my case, I can say for certain that's what they are for.