Mast Vibrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Thought someone might know the cause of this: Last night I went to go check on the boat and it seemed that the mast would vibrate, almost like the lines were slapping inside the mast. It wasn't windy and it seemed to be doing it without me even walking on the boat but I could replicate it by hopping just a bit on the boat. I have flag lines going to the spreders which I held really tight and then loose and did some hopping and the noise was still there with no change so I eliminated these from my concern. I made the jib and main halyards really tight and loose but it still did it when I hopped a little hopping. It seemed to be a little less with the lines really loose but not much. So how well are the electrical lines secured in the mast and is it common for these to slap? Any experince on how to eliminate this? It's a Kenyon Mast on a 1984 34' Seidelmann Thanks for the forums help - Neal Happy Sailing...

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Rather difficult to grasp the type of vibration

you are discribing. Is it a low frequency vibration such as you might get from the engine running or more like what you would get if you struck it with a rubber mallet? Could you feel the vibration with your hand or just hear it?

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
type of vibration

It's definitely in the mast, not like a motor running. I'm guessing I would fell it some if put hand on mast, but can feel it through my feet since it's like a harmonic noise with a slight vibration. As mentioned, I wasn't even on the boat and could hear it from the floating dock.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
What was the wind strength that day? Air blowing across a mast can spill vortice

and creat a vibration.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
wind

The wind was less than 5 mph. Also, with no wind I can recreate the noise by littly hopping on the deck but not by rattling the haylards.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
I would guess

that it's some kind of vibration caused by a breeze in the exact right direction, but since you say you can replicate it by hopping on the deck, that doesn't make any sense either. If the winds were 5 or less, and the boat wasn't moving, I would look for something other than the mast internals slapping. I have never had this happen, and would think a slapping of wires or halyards would not sound like a vibration. Maybe you have some haunts in there.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
If your

Topping lift is holding up the boom, tightened hard, and counter acting against the main sheet that will create a harmonic, like a tight violin string, that can be transferred through the mast and boom. Simply wrapping the main halyard around the topping lift once or twice then connecting both the topping lift and halyard to the boom end will usually break up the harmonic and stop the noise if this is the cause. Another option is to loosen it some if you have a rigid vang. A topping lift or main halyard connected to the boom end to tightly will cause what you seem to describe even in light winds.. I'm still not clear, from the description, as to whether this is an internal wire slap inside the mast or a harmonic caused by winds...

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Mast noise

I'm guessing it is something inside the mast since I can reproduce it by a simple hop on the deck. It has happened before in the wind, probably since the mast is acting like a spring. I't more of a noise than a vibration though.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Halyard

Here a question - The main sheet halyard, when it enters the mast on the starboard side, is it in the front or back? Mine is in the front. Is this correct? The jib halyard goes into the back hole in the mast on the side which is lower than the front one. Maybe it's the lines crossing in the mast hitting each other making the noise? Hopefully someone can check theirs for me since as I walk around the marina I see both scenarios. Thanks - Neal

Jul 10, 2006
- - Jax,Fla
Mast Noise/Vibrations

Neal; If your headstay is too loose it will cause the mast to "pump" from any breeze/wave action against the hull or from any jumping on deck.Tighten your backstay.Check all your shrouds to make sure they are still tight.Hope that clears up the problem? cheers- CaptHawk RogueWave

Sep 1, 2005
- - Annapolis
Wiring Duct

My 30T has a similar noise (not bad, though) and I think that there is a wiring duct or conduit inside the mast that protects the wires from the halyards. In fact, I have the original brochure and it says "Wiring Duct Inside Mast". Also, the actual mainsail track vibrates a tiny bit, because it's just sitting in its groove and not really secured to anything. That could be fixed with a little rubber cement or something. But on my boat it's never really bothered me. I don't think there's really anything you can do about the wire duct except pull the mast off, remove the duct, and wrap it in something soft. Good luck, chrisferro

Status
Not open for further replies.