Mast tang problem animation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I just made this animation for my web site of what has been going on with my mast tangs for the last 30 years, amazingly without anything failing.

This shows the upper tang. The lowers were even worse. The subject was much discussed in a couple of earlier threads. If you haven't seen it, you can look them up or go to the new section of my web site that I put together for the benefit of other E 32 owners.

http://www.rogerlongboats.com/2011WinterProjects.htm#Tangs

I suspect that detailing like this is very common in the production boat fleet.

Previous threads:

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=125126
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=125188
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=125412
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=125815

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Calculate the ELASTICITY / deflection of the rig / wire and mast top (& lowers) between 'normal' and max. (including SF) loads. Then, establish a 'free body' diagram for each individual 'section' of the attachment components, back-calculating the deflection values INTO the component ........... and perhaps youll begin to 'see' my position of BALANCED and non-flexing or minimal-flexing 'tangs'. etc. As this is the way just about all 'tang systems' are engineered on cranes, massive cable stays, gantries, and other potential 'lethal' applications etc. etc. etc.

PURE tension/compression without ANY flexure (minimizing by 'geometry' of the component) is always the 'best' method --- structurally and with respect of fatigue included ... pure tension/compression is 'fundamentally' THREE times STRONGER than 'beam flex' (four times for a 'cantilever')

When I was engineering 'mega-lift' and 'overhead' stuff I would not ever accept any design from my staff that included 'undue' flex at any such connection .... it prematurely 'breaks' and such without verification via 'physical destructive testing' is wholly unpredictable especially when fatigue is involved from cyclically applied loads.

I would suggest you go back and reconsider the 'evolved' Seldén tang system, etc. - easy to duplicate by 'fabrication' - simple, elegantly 'pure'.

;-)

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Undue flexing

One mans undue is another man's design.
I'd bring up engine valve springs which flex quite a bit and I've never seen on fail under normal operation.
It is all about keeping the flexture below the elastic limit. You can flex it all you want and NEVER get a fatigue failure.
Tension flexture is not the same as bending flexture. In tension the loads try to straighten out the member and so you can absolutely determine the max flexture. In bending or compression fexture you can't and more engineering would be required to assure a fail safe member.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Sorry, ... go to the back of the class.
1. Fatigue can occur WELL BELOW the FATIGUE ENDURANCE LIMIT, starting with a few % of UTS or UYS. ... its the 'nature' of the grain structure of most metals. Fatigue fracture is a Statistical Additive Function (hysterisis - or 'rate dependent elastic memory') and can begin on a microscopic level WELL below the endurance limit.
2. Elasticty is Elasticity and no matter the geometry, its the stress risers and geometric forms that multiply the stress is what leads to the failure in 'brittle failure' ... Young's Modulus remains constant in an isotropic solid (less hysterisis), until the stress bearing properties of the material FAIL either by ductile or brittle mode, and usually in a combo of 'both' .

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
If you are able to put a 90 degree shackle type of thing between the two you won't have this issue. You'll have to design it in such a way that they can twist without deforming. My boat has a 1/2 moon mushroom thing that it basically rotates to fit the angle.

See RigRite site.

Nov 22, 2008
Calculate the ELASTICITY / deflection of the rig / wire and mast top (& lowers) between 'normal' and max. (including SF) loads.
Righting moment = 9,200 / 14,0000 ft-lbs, the first figure being in the range of normal heeling where there are a significant number of cycles and the latter the maximum experienced in the rare (hopefully) event of the boat being blown flat in the water.

Dividing by the distance of the chainplates off centerline(upper shroud and average of the lowers) gives overall shroud loading of 2,125 / 3,233 with corresponding mast compression.

The Rhodes data sheet based on tests of rigging indicates 65% of overall load is born by the lowers so 1,381 / 2,101 pounds.

There are two lowers so 690 / 1,050 pounds. Add 20% for prestress so 828 / 1260 pounds.

The Rhodes data sheet indicates 45% of overall load (I know it adds up to more than 100% but there is evidently a little conservativism built in) is born by the uppers so 956 / 1455 pounds. Add 20% for prestress so 1147 / 1746.

The Loos Company website give the following formula for the stretch of 1 x 19 304 S.S. wire:

% of Length = (Load x .0000078) / Diameter squared

So:

My 1/4" upper shrouds are 474 inches long so the formula tells me they will stretch .1193% or .565 inches when the rail is in the water and I'm easing sheets or rounding up in a panic and .2179% - 1.033 inches if the boat is blown flat in the water.

My 3/16" lower shrouds average 257 inches long so they will stretch .1837% - .472 inches and .2796% - .7184 inches respectively.

Looking at the worst case (knockdown) by laying out stretched rigging lengths in CAD, I can calculate that the masthead will have moved just a bit under 9" at the point of maximum righting moment while the boat is being knocked down.

If I were to get DOS running on an old computer, I could pull out the indeterminent structual analysis program I wrote and used for the USCG certification of the "Surprise" ex. "Rose". I had the whole rig modeled and could create print outs of it flexed under various loads. It was very cool.

Anyway, I can determine that the angle between the shroud and the mast decreases by .156 degrees for the uppers and .283 degrees for the lowers at maximum rig deflection. Rigging toggles make it a simple connection so bending force on the tangs will be the tangent of the wire load, so 4.75 pounds for the upper tangs and 12.45 pounds total for the two lowers. The upper tang is 5 inches from the bend to the toggle pin so 23.77 inch-pounds. SM is .022 so bending stress is 1080 pounds. Tension stress is 4063 so total stress is 5143 psi at the bend portion. I think we are good.

Half of the lower shroud bending force, 6.23 pounds is on a 4.8" lever so 29.90 inch-pounds and the other shroud is on a shorter lever of 2.7 inches so 16.82 for a total of 46.72 inch-pounds. SM is .0269 so bending stress is 1734 psi added to 4915 straight tension for a
total of 4915 psi. I think these simple chainplates would stand up if I planned to knock the boat flat in the water several times a day for the rest of my sailing career.

As you point out, fatigue can take place at fairly low stress levels given enough cycles and stress risers but the loads above are conditions that the boat will seldom, if ever, encounter and there isn't much flexing. When you look at how well the old tangs held up with their extreme flexing, not an uncommon design for what I see looking around the yards, I'm not going to worry much about mine even if they are not what I would have designed with a clean slate and unlimited budget.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2008
If you are able to put a 90 degree shackle type of thing between the two you won't have this issue.
Final design incorporates toggle forks which do the same thing, only better. However, there is still a residual side force when the geometry of the rigging changes as things stretch.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Not sure what you guys are debating but I think it makes me appreciate my keel-stepped mast even more.

But a question related to the forces at work on my tangs. When I replace the standing rigging this spring are the tangs automatically candidates after thirty-one years? Growing up I thought Tang was what the astronauts drank. So I did.

Shell

Sep 26, 2007
Catalina 30 standard JC/NYC
As a child I learned the best way to break a piece of metal was to keep flexing it.
Some metals will flex more than others with out breaking but I've never seen a tang made out of spring metal. I found 2 cracked tangs on the inner shrouds of my 1986 Catalina. Fortunately, the shrouds are attached by separate double tangs so the rig didn't come down. Need less to say, all tangs were replaced.

Nov 22, 2008
Not sure what you guys are debating but I think it makes me appreciate my keel-stepped mast even more.
Don't kid yourself. Your keel-stepped mast is just as dependent on the shrouds as a deck stepped one. Without the rigging, it would fold over almost as soon as there was enough wind to give you steerage way. A shroud breaking will put the rig in the water just as fast as if it were deck stepped.

A keel stepped mast can be slightly lighter because the step and partners keeping the lower end straight help prevent it from going out of column and collapsing under the compression caused by the stays holding it up. Push on the ends of a soda straw and feel how quickly it collapses after it bow and you'll see the principle. It's surprising how little extra material is required to make a deck stepped mast just as strong as a keel stepped one.

When I replace the standing rigging this spring are the tangs automatically candidates after thirty-one years?
If they are of common production boat design, the boat has been sailed a lot, and there is a lot of hard sailing ahead for it, then yes. It's the degree of flexing and geometry change when the tangs go from a nearly no load state on the lee side to heavily loaded on the windward side that determines how important replacement is. If the geometry is right, most tangs from that period are conservative enough in design that replacement may not be necessary. Now that the issue is on my radar screen though, I see poor geometry on almost every mast I look at.

jimmyb

Feb 12, 2010
Precison 165 NA
I think it was chevy chase that said, I cant argue with that......

.....cause I dont know what the hell your talkin about! :confused:

joking aside I love to follow these discussions even with my incredibly limited grasp of serious engineering I can always pull out a crumb of useful information, and the way you pro's talk the talk that is satisfying for me. Looking forward to more...

jimmyb

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
The only fittings I have needed to replace on standing rigging due to failure--twice on my last boat, about every 8 years--were the style toggles shown above (unless I am miss-reading the drawing). Fortunately I caught the cracks during mid-season inspections each time. There seemed to be considerable residual stress and perhaps the beginnings of fractures in the bent areas. They predictably began cracking in the bent area.

Perhaps they don't flex in service, but they sure can fail. Either over size them chose a toggle style that does not require bending stainless. It could work, but I would feel no better about it than the original design, based upon my field experience with this style.

Nov 22, 2008
The only fittings I have needed to replace ....were the style toggles shown above
Thanks. That's good information. It's also the first I've heard of a problem. I was going to use forged bronze toggles but Rigging Only assured me that they have not had any issues with these. I also have this style toggle on the lower ends of my current rigging and could find no visible problems after 30 years of service.

Was your previous boat a cat? They have higher rigging loads.

In any event, I plan to replace standing rigging at about 5 year intervals from here on out but I don't want to do the tangs and chainplates again in this lifetime. I'm also using the largest pin size toggles available for the wire size, 1/2" vs. 3/8" in the case of the uppers.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Defects and Stress Loading

Reread Rich's post. He makes some excellent comments. There and macro level defects you can see such as surface finish, discontinuities such as holes, radii, and such. Then there are defects at the grain level where the grains form creating grain boundaries and such along which slippage can occur under loading. In the engine industry they invented directional solidifcation and then single crystal casting to solve these problems. But more important is what causes embrittlement in ductile materials and this is typically at the atomic level. In any crystal it is loaded with atomic defects, also known as vacancies ( missing atoms) impurities (contaminating atoms) alloy segragation, and dislocations (missing rows of atoms). Dislocation entanglement is involved in the work hardeneing of a piece of sheet metal as you repeatedly bend it back and forth until it fractures and breaks.
In Rogers design I'd be concerned with the loading running into the formed radius of the tang that will put a bending moment on the tang driving it into the sharp corner of the bolt holding it to the mast. This will be a concentrated point loading that could likely lead to a fracture. Use a large washer and preferably a spherical washer under the bolt head this will act as a sacrificial part that if it cracks from the sharp corner of the bolt it likely won't propagate into the tang material. Why not eliminate the tang all together and replace the bolt with a lifting eye and shackle directly to that. These are use to lift massive loads like machines and containers off ships and such.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
Thanks. That's good information. It's also the first I've heard of a problem. I was going to use forged bronze toggles but Rigging Only assured me that they have not had any issues with these. I also have this style toggle on the lower ends of my current rigging and could find no visible problems after 30 years of service.

Was your previous boat a cat? They have higher rigging loads.

In any event, I plan to replace standing rigging at about 5 year intervals from here on out but I don't want to do the tangs and chainplates again in this lifetime. I'm also using the largest pin size toggles available for the wire size, 1/2" vs. 3/8" in the case of the uppers.
Specifically, the boat was a Stiletto 27, 1200 pounds, with a 5/16-inch forestay.

The fitting that cracked twice was very similar to this (http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=52123&SHOPPING), but I'm not certain of the brand, since I sold the boat a few years ago. I never saw a crack anywhere else in the rigging (owned the 30-year-old boat for 17 years), though I replaced the standing twice (once soon after purchase, once just be fore I sold her, as a courtesy).

Yes, the boat had sharp snap roll, but the rigging was heavy and I didn't sail the miles a cruiser does.

Jun 6, 2006
OK guys, I'll admit that all that stuff (mostly) happens. However, I think you need to understand that engineering design ALWAYS incorporated a design life. A good engineer will look at what is being built and design it so that it does not fail during its lifetime. NASA rocket engines are designed for a lifetime of 110 seconds and the TVA dams where designed to last 100 years. Without that crucial piece of information you really can't make comments like "it will fail by xxx eventually" and have any real credibility. Sure if you leave a structural member there long enough it will fail or you can design it so that the fiberglass will be destroyed by solar radiation (1000 years) and the tang will still be working fine. Neither one of these extremes is good engineering practice
So Roger, what is your design life?
Also, I see that you still have that asymmetrical loading of the longer tang.

Jun 6, 2006
Stress risers and engineering design

Rich, see my post above on design life. And I agree all that stuff happens but is irrelevant in proper design which keeps those issues in check during the life of the member.

Roger: You can't just isolate one structural member like you did. Sure the shrouds stretch but so does the mast and the deck flexes under loads like that. I'd like to see a FBD before I went and made statements on what the loads on member x are. Perhaps you have done this and I missed it. What about mast crushing under the spreader during a knockdown? Just the compression of the mast section under the spreader could cause it to fail at a much lower shroud load than you have calculated. I'd note that if the mast proper buckles due to loss of cross section moment of inertia (I) any shroud design is pretty much moot. "I" is a 4th power type factor and even small changes to the cross sectional shape will result in large changes in its ability to resist bending.

There are a whole host of other failure modes that have not even been talked about yet. The engineering of "make it strong" is great but you have to define "it" as the whole rig not just parts of it. I'd, again, bring up my example of a massively strong rig attached to a weak deck. When de-masted the mast is carried away and takes a chunk of deck with it. This leaves you with a big hole in the boat at exactly the time you really don't want one. A fail safe design would have a chain plate that is designed to fail before the deck to cause a rig failure to not result in a deck failure also.

Jun 6, 2006
FWIW, wouldn't it be easier to just put a solid wedge under the attachment point of the upper tang to align the tang and shroud loads. You could then deal with the load being applied to the mast out of plane with a shear connection and avoid the whole issue of bending failure.

Nov 22, 2008
Why not eliminate the tang all together and replace the bolt with a lifting eye and shackle directly to that.
Can't use lifting eyes, at least on the lowers, because the fittings are inside the spreaders. I don't think you can get those in stainless anyway.

The centerline of both upper and lower tangs intersect the inner surface of the tangs at the bolt hole centerline. Offset between centroid at the point of minimum cross section and center of load is therefore half the plate thickness.

Upper tang load in knockdown = 1750 pounds.

1750 x .5 thickness of 5/16" plates = 273 in-lbs bending moment.

SM at bolt hole = .0112 so bending stress = 24,394 psi. Add 1080 for geometry change (see previous post) and 8144 for tension and total stress at knockdown = 33,618. The extreme event still leaves stress under yield neglecting support from the bolt and washer.

Lower tang load in knockdown = 2,101

2,101 x .5 thickness of 3/8" plate = 394 in-lbs bending moment.

SM at bolt hole = .0163 so bending stress = 24,172 for total knockdown stress = 33,970 including geometery change.

Loads in normal operation (up to deck edge immersion) max out at about 66% of those used here so 22,188 and 22,420 around the bolt holes when I've got the rail under water which I don't do often.

Note that the tangs are currently secured with a bushing and bolt. I will be using oversize thick washers to provide further support at this point.

Looking at it another way, with vectors along the simplified centerlines, show that the force component trying to straighten the upper tang bend will be .0983 x load or 172 pounds. Bend to bolt centerline distance is .7654 so 132 ft-lbs bending moment. That brings stress at the critical point down to 21,010 for the upper tang, 13,867 in normal sailing.

These numbers are down in the range of allowable working stresses for steel structures but higher than I would like at the main attachement points and most difficult to inspect parts (tension will be on the surface between mast and tang).

Thanks to you and Rich for prodding me to take a closer look at this area. Bolt and washer or backup plate detailing to provide support against local bending stress will be and important part of this. The welded gussets Rich suggested may be back on the table but I can't use those for the lowers.

Nov 22, 2008
A fail safe design would have a chain plate that is designed to fail before the deck to cause a rig failure to not result in a deck failure also.
I think I just showed in my post above that the tang attachments will fail before anything else although not at loads that would be produced by wind. In a wave rollover, where the rig is probably going to go anyway, I think we have the weak point you have been clamoring for and my deck is safe ;)

I'm pretty sure that a full engineering analysis would prove that my rig fell down several years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.