Mast Tang bolts

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
In the course of running new earth cables to replace corroded ones, I discovered one of two my starboard mast Tang bolts was corroded and broke off just as I was trying to tighten the earth cable to it. This Tang is holding the shroud from spreader end.
Now I've to make plans to get this Tang repaired and have portside one checked as well. My h326 has a strut supporting the mast on each side and has a lower shroud to the strut Tang. So I was thinking perhaps I don't need to lower the mast for this repair. What do you think?

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
"You made plans to have get this tang repaired" by a professional rigger or fix your self . Strut ?Are you talking about the crutch from coach roof to about 4' up mast doesn't that thing get in your way when working around mast. Hunter way over built that thing and it will hold together for repair rigger use haylards to hold mast up while replacing standing rigging

Oct 29, 2005
Planning to get it done at boatyard. Yup the strut is the "crutch" youcrefers to. No its not in the way. It provide good support when i go on coach roof.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Yea Ken I could see having a sturdy place to hold on is an advantage if ya got a rigger then he will fix it right up I'm sure you gonna get whole rig checked at same time . They amazing zip up top 10 seconds wipp out panty hose and start checkn good piece of mind for season knowing rig checked and now you can sail hard you will be out looking forward to 20 + gust

Oct 29, 2005
From the look of the corrosion, it probably been this way for quite sometime now. Last last Nov, I was in a race that saw occassional gust of >25kts wind and sailing full sail through 18kts with 1-2 metres waves.
Now I clinch at the through those moment with corroded Tang bolt/s.
WP_20160403_003.jpg WP_20160403_004.jpg