mast steps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2014
lockley-newport 23 sarasota
has anyone installed mast steps (folding type)? how far up do you go? what are your thoughts? thinking about putting them on my C-30.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
I almost did it

I see quite a few boats with steps all the way to the top of the mast, apparently with no problems. I considered this for a while, but two things stopped me. First was the idea of drilling that many holes in a mast. It has to weaken the mast some. Don't know how much, but it can't do it any good. Second is cost. Those are 12 to 20 bucks each, so would be a little bit costly, and I see no sense in just going part way up. So, I'll stick to a bosuns chair.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I'm in the process of

ordering the primeclimb mast climbing system. It resides in the sail track and does not need a halyard. I thought about steps, but finally decided on the primeclimb.

Jun 12, 2004
Allied Mistress 39 Ketch Kemah,Tx.
I used them

I have used the folding steps on a friends mast. I work offshore and climb for a living, and I did not feel safe on the mast steps that fold. For one thing, you are too busy working to keep tract of the steps. He had the steps staggered. I know they shouldnt fold up easily, but sometimes they do from the slightest kick. Keep in mind that when i was climbing. the boat was rocking.
On my Catalina 30 I mounted the triangular shaped ones. Your foot is always in the stirrup. I put them high enough up so that the last step had my waiste at the top of the mast. all of my steps were staggered except for the side by side ones just below the spreaders and the last set up near the top. My halyards were outside the mast, not internal. I fouled the halyards on the steps a few times, then I got used to them and didn't tangle them anymore.

Nice N Easy didnt tell you that he can stand on his tip toes and almost reach the top of the mast. Also keep in mind that I can haul him up in a bosuns chair. They need a fork lift to get me up their. Has something to do with body geometry. Actually N&E is right in the fact that one feels more comfortable, safety wise, in a bosuns chair than on the steps when the boat is rocking. There are times that you may just have to get up the mast when the boat is rocking. I had a spreader boot missing and in the middle of the Gulf of Mex, my jenny caught the sharp edge of the spreader and got hung on the stitching of my jenny. Well, since NiceNEasy weighs substantially less than I do, guess who went up in the bosun chair?
I dont want to give you the impression that I am overweight, I'm actually just 'under tall'.

Tony B

Jul 3, 2006
Wildschut skûtsje Carcassonne
Installed Folding Steps

I installed 46 folding steps up my mast, with a pair putting me waist-high at the top. I find them very easy and secure to climb.

Jul 3, 2006
Wildschut skûtsje Carcassonne
Installed Folding Steps

I installed 46 folding steps up my mast, with a pair putting me waist-high at the top. I find them very easy and secure to climb.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Sequitur, I trust that you safety off with a harness and belt

so that you avoid becoming a non-sequitur.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
I get dizzy just looking at the picture

of you half way up the mast. I need to check my blood pressure.

Keep it up,
Ctskip

Aug 2, 2005
pearson ariel grand rapids
my opinion the best place for steps

are a couple at at each area where you would be working at, a couple at the top, and a couple at the spreaders etc. Getting there is easy for most people, Having them actually doing something is hard.

It just feels more comfortable working there when you can place your feet on something solid. (also passing a belt around the mast gives you a couple back up systems with the step and belt)

Spent a lot of time hanging 11 and 12 stories up over the side on the place in the link during construction, Work moved at a snails pace for a week or so, then I noticed that the guys would pick up the pace when they had something to press their feet against, hung planks around and even though all the weight was on the bosuns chairs with no real change in 'suspension' they got a lot more done per day because of the added confidence a footrest gave them.

Ken.

Jan 27, 2007
Irwin 37' center cockpit cleveland ohio
two thoughts

Larry has them on his Pearson Vanguard 32. We climb them to take pictures for the air show. Larry has sailed in some good winds, and has owned the boat for 6 years. At no time does it look like it will collapse. In addition, we asked John about it, John being the marina mechanic/yard manager, and he said neither he nowr any other manager he's talked to in Cleveland ever experienced a collapsed mast from steps. What I am trying to say is there is always one person who cries "the holes will make the mast collapse!" Taint so.

On my way to Florida with the snowbirds, I noticed (with envy) boats after boat (all over 38') that had electric winches. The wife (most 5'2") had no problem sending the guys up(most 6'3" or taller) up the mast for all sort of excuses, mostly to see bridge height up close and personal. Bear in mind I hand winched my buddy, all 5'6" - about 150 lbs(I am a bad guesser of weight) up the mast (54') three times. The last 10 feet were a killer.

So, what I was looking at was a angled drill of 12 volt that I could plug right into the boat system.
And, if single...the steps are great. If two or more, go with the juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.