MAST STEPPING SOLO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IKE ENRIQUEZ

DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS OR PROVEN METHOD TO RAISE AND LOWER THE MAST BY ONE PERSON.

D

David Perkins

RE: MAST STEPPING SOLO

What model and make sailboat do you have Ike ? this info would help 'us' help you .

T

Ted

No matter . . .

they are all about the same. Go to the link below to see an illustration of mast raising. I would practice in the driveway (with some assistance) a few times, before you try it for real and solo at the ramp. Also you can search the web for other mast raising illustrations and tooling. Regards, Ted

D

Dana,C&C 30' Mega,trailsailor

Just needs a bridel on mast also

To be safe use a bridel on mast like the one on the gin pole,just to keep it from going side to side on you. I if it's a big stick like I have,I use the 12V trailer winch(two way type) for up and down power to make it one man EZ.

A

Arlyn

A variant

I noted a variant of that method recently that didn't require pivoting the A frame. It uses a fixed line from the bow stem to the apex of the A frame. Then has a sheave at the top of the A frame for a line that pulls the mast up from just beneath the spreaders (hauled and supported there by the main halyard). A trailer winch could be mounted on one of the A frame legs or the line routed back to sheet winch. Two advantages... the frame legs don't have to pivot so they can be anchored easier... and the apex of the A frame stays closer to the mast so there would be less tendancy for lateral movement prior to the shrouds firming up. Either way is reported to work well.

D

Dana,C&C 30' Mega,trailsailor

Arlyn,sounds good to me too!if "A" is tall as spea

-I had not seen that one before,if Spreaders and a frame are near same hight,should work OK,Thanks I'll add to my info too !*

T

Tom

MacGregor system

Try a "Google" search for "Macgregor mast raising" and you'll get a lot of hits. Here is one with a picture... http://www.macgregor26.com/mast_raising.htm I retrofitted my h260 with a very similar system that uses a single gin pole attached to the mast and use the main sheet tackle for the lifting lowering power. I always raise/lower the mast single handed. Fair winds, Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.