Mast stepping single handed

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jay Beery

Has anyone had success in single handed mast stepping the Cat 22? I'm going to try the "a" frame trick from the fwd side stay eyes. But I really need a fool proof way to step her myself. Local slips are about half what I paid for the boat!!! So I need to trailer back and forth for now.

T

Tom Curry

Stepping the mast yourself

I have done the following several times althought I don't know if it's a good idea. Hopefully someone will read this with the technical knowledge will bless it or damn it. I have a "Mast Up" from Catalina Direct that raises the mast up to about 9 feet at the stern. After I have secured the mast to the step I attach my boom vang to the forstay and the bow plate. I then run the boom vang line back to the cockpit and winch up the mast using a Lewmar 6 winch. You must have the upper and aft shrouds secured when you do this to keep the mast straight. If any lines snag on objects ,I cleat the line off and clear them before proceeding. My question is the basic Lewmar 6 winch strong enough to do this? I've had good luck with this method. Any comments out there?

K

ken bernard

Mast raising

Jay................ Try this web page.... membersaol.com/_ht_a/EPenfield/page/mast_raising.html

T

Tim Daley

mast stepping

I too use a "Mast Up" but I connect the forestay to the hook on the end of my trailer winch and simply (it could be THAT easy!) crank the mast up. I still cannot do it alone as I haven't solved the side to side sway completely but its the best trick I've tried so far. I also have a question-has anyone tried beefing up the tabernacle or the bolt holes in the foot of the mast to help solve the side to side movement during stepping and unstepping? Tim Daley/ TIMBECK II

G

Gerry Devereux

Hi! I've been pretty successful with the setup I've developed. I made two pieces of equipment. One is a piece of 3/4" strap with a pully mounted on it. I bolt this to the bow stem. I also made a gin pole set up out of two pieces of aluminium angle. They are about 5 feet long. One end of each is bent at an angle and drilled to accept a rim from a lawnmower tire (minus the tire) These two aluminum angles are bolted together to form an invert V shape with the tireless rim (4"dia.) inbetween. The other end is bolted to the forward lower chainplate. I then pass the trailer winch rope over pulley mounte on the bow stem and up over the gin pole (this is were the tire rim comes in) and connect it to the forestay wit a knot. With the gin pole vertical I then crank on the winch to raise the mast. I also have a stainless steel mast step and use a version of MastUP. What I like about this setup is that the winch locks in position and most of all I'm not standing under the mast! I can also stop at any point to untangle shrouds, etc. I do get some side to side movement which is the most troubling aspect of it all. This is much minimized with the stainless mast step. I have tried loosely running a long rope around the mast (one turn) at the spreaders. I then run each end through the fairleads. Pulling on an end counteracts the sway or lean. After the mast is up I just pull the rope of the mast. Hope this helps. If you are interested I can send some sketch's. Gerry :)

E

Echo Gulf

Maybe?

Prior to our Catalina, we owned a MacGregor 26, in the manual they showed an excellent system for single handed mast raising. Being to cheap to pay their prices, I built my own out of parts available from the local hardware store. The system works very well and is easy to build. I reccommend either finding a MacGregor sailor or contacting the company for a look at their system.

E

Erik

Minimizing side-to-side sway

I don't have any on my Capri 18, but on "The Trailer Sailor" website, a sailor of a Potter 19 uses a *babystays* on either side of the mast to control the side-to-side sway. A s.s. padeye is secured to the deck on either side of the mast, about 1 ft outboard of the base pivot bolt. The stays go up about 2 ft on the mast and secure to eyebolts on the mast. She sez they work very well.

A

Arlyn Stewart

single handed mast raising

Using a sheet winch will generally put someone in harms way.....there are safer choices. Even a very strong mast step would not support the lateral strain of a mast. Good systems use either an A frame or gin pole. Some method of lateral stability is important. I also agree with the sugestion that to be able to lock the winch at some point is important. Shrouds and stays have a way of getting fouled and it helps to be able to hold the progress. Use of the trailer winch works well with one drawback.....ya have to dismount the boat. If something hangs....remount...dismount....arrggh. I think the better evolution in raising systems use a gin pole with a trailer type winch mounted along the spar. This allows very good effortless raising and lowering, keeps the operator on the boat and out of harms way. With a combination of mast crutch, lateral baby stays and a gin pole with a winch....the process is painless for a single hander.

G

Gerry Devereux

single handed mast raising

This is a question for Arlyn Stewart. Arlyn, where would you mount a trailer type winch to raise the mast. You mentioned a spar. Could you elaborate? Thanks!

L

Lynn Buchanan

Singlehanded mast up

I'm on my 3rd C22 which I single hand and trailer and also have a C25. Have a crutch or "Mast up to raise the mast from the stern pulpit to get leverage started. Use a "A Frame" that fits from the forward shroud to the bow fittings (to eleminate sway and act as a gin pole) attach the jib halyard and a block and tackle (mainsheet, boom vang, life sling tackle, etc) or trailer winch strap to the top of the A Frame. If you use the block and tackle, fix it to the deckplate for the jib tack and lead the line to a winch. Take the slack up on the jib halyard till the A Frame is raised at an angle and then cleat off the jib halyard securly. Now use the trailer or boat winch to raise the mast. Tips: if you use the trailer winch, be sure to tie or chain bow of the boat to the trailer while the trailer strap is disconnected. If you use the block and tackle, be sure your backstay is coiled loosely in the cockpit, so it doesn't hang. Also, use the reverse for lowering the mast and leave the setup attached for the next time you need to raise the mast. Saves on setup time. By using the A frame and winches you will not get sway and counterforce on your stepping pin, won't hurt your back and won't need extra crew and can stop the operation at any time to unsnag anything that gets snagged. The more you trailer and do this manuever, the easier it will seem. Good Luck

T

Tom Curry

Good Advice

This is great adice. I have always been apprehensive about winching the mast up with a sheet winch. Since I wrote my reply the snow up here in New Jersey has melted and I checked the mounting of my winches. First there are no chain plates under the winch, only four small screws hold it to the deck. Second the sway from the mast can go either way and setting under the mast while winching it up is not where I want to be. The trailer winch with gin pole or an A-frame seems to be the way to go when you're going it alone.. Thanks to all of you for the great advice.

M

Mike Stanton

Had Enough!

I've sailed my Cat 22 for three years but am now selling it to get a Macgregor 26 - one of the main reasons is the grief and aggravation of stepping and lowering the mast. (I hear the newest Cat 22's have a factory stepping system that mimics the Macgregor?) Sorry I couldn't help. I use the "crutch" and a block between the forestay and bow plate, but it's still a miserable job. . . .sailing is supposed to be fun! The power boaters- and even other sailers -really get a laugh . .. think I'm crazy.

D

Dick of the Sylvan

Stepping Safely

There have been many good comments on how to step your mast. Just a couple of additional thoughts are to align the boat parallel to the wind direction to reduce side sway while raising, and don't raise when too windy. Also be careful that the mast and stays can't come anywhere close to any electric power lines and avoid raising when there is any chance for a lightning strike. Also you might consider getting a "first mate" or at least take a friend sailing. They sure come in handy when raising and lowering the mast!

Status
Not open for further replies.