Mast Step on tall rig Catalina 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Jacobs

Does anyone have any experience in mast step problems on a 30 tall rig? Do they have any problems with the deck compressing under the mast? Does anyone know what material is under the mast between the mast step and the post that is under the deck. This is the material that is between the deck skin and the cabin top skin. We have a ten year old boat and were wondering if we may have problems in the future. danajacobs@worldnet.att.net

M

Mike Turner

Common Problem

Deck compression is a common problem on the C30. Practical Sailor noted that almost every 30 they encountered had compression of 1/2" or so. It's typically caused by the rig being tuned down too tight; related problems involve water seeping into the plywood core under the mast step, causing saturation, delamination of the plywood, or worst of all, rot. Practical Sailor, and most surveyors, seem to indicate that the problem is not severe if there is no indication of cracking of the deck around the step, delamination of the deck, or cracking/ delamination of the interior hull liner under the mast step. Check for all of the above. Also check the entire "compression sandwich" supporting the mast below deck -- the compression post itself, and very importantly the wood mast step/block in the bilge which carries the mast stresses to the keel. This block has a tendency to soften after prolonged exposure to bilge water. Catalina has an excellent spec sheet on the mast step repair and also on replacement of the bilge mast step/block. I recommend you contact the factory and obtain them for further info. The basic repair involves unstepping the mast, removing the deck step, using a hooked tool to pull up the compressed fiberglass deck, insuring there is no delamination/rot of the plywood core, and injecting epoxy into the void. I've talked to one owner here who had it professionally done for $300 and it looks pretty good. My '81 has about 1/2" compression but no cracks or signs of delamination; I intend to have it fixed when I replace the standing rigging, this year or next. I have some softness in the bilge mast step which I intend to treat with injected epoxy; if that doesn't firm it up then I'll go the replacement route. Unrelated to deck compression, but just as important, of course, is to insure all your stays/shrouds are in good shape and your chainplates adequately secured. Hope this answers some of your questions. Perhaps some of our fellow owners with first-hand experience with the repair will share their experiences as well. Good luck! Mike Turner S/V Amity

R

Richard

another idea

Another idea is to add a stainless steel plate under the mast step (well insulated from the aluminum step). This plate will help spread the load out a bit more and allows you to run all your lines back to the cockpit. Not sure if you have one already or not. Another great idea is to join the catalina 30 email list at www.sailnet.com (email discussion groups). There are many people with solutions to your problem.

M

Mike Turner

Steel Plate

Richard's suggestion is a good one but I note that I have one of those plates and still have deck compression. The former owner of my boat really cranked the rig down to battle San Francisco winds. But it's quite possible that the steel plate is what's kept my deck from cracking. Plus it is really useful for attaching blocks to run lines aft. Mike Turner S/V Amity

Status
Not open for further replies.