mast step leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rob

Has any one had a leak in the mast step that has found its way to the starboard center window . The Core appears to be soaked as the leak is brown water . Window was leaking and we thought it was a problem with the beding and glass seal. So when we remove the window we found wet core on top and bottom of the window. We are planning to have our marina to step mast and do so more investigation. Any info would be apreciated . This is a 1979 C27 other wise in great shape .

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Ouch.

THe compression post in your boat may be wood. If this is the case you will probably need to replace the compression post.

In later models Catalina went away from wooden compression posts because of the core rotting. If the core rots the boats can get the "Bird Bath" in front or the area of the mast. This is where the deck is sunken in a bit due to the core under the mast caving in.

Look into this well and do yourself a favor of fixing it right or it could cost you a de-masting in the future.

nexus

Nov 10, 2005
Catalina Catalina 30 MKIII Anacortes, WA
Leak at Mast Step

Rob,
We had a problem that manifested itself exactly as you describe with our 2003 Catalina 30 MKIII. When I removed the window to re-bed, it continued to drip water for several days....then weeks, so I had it looked at by local professional riggers, who said "you've got a problem", and indeed we did. We ended up on the hard, had the mast taken down, and then removed the step. First move was to cut away a small area under the step, which revealed soaked core. The cut was enlarged until finally an area about 30 x 30 or so was cut from the cabin top, so that all of the wet, pithy balsa could be removed. It was replaced with structural foam. There's a band of plywood about 8 or 10 inches wide running under the mast across the width of the cabin top, apparently intended to add enough strenth to avoid depression at the step - obviously not effective on our boat. We replaced the exposed portion of that with new marine plywood (not sure if Catalina used marine grade). Upon opening it up, we found numerous large voids between the outer hull and the cabin liner - great areas for large amounts of water to build up before it finally found its way out at the window. After drying out, adding the new plywood and foam, it was re-glassed and gel-coated, with non-skid on deck. We opted not to try to match the original diamond-pattern non-skid to save $$$, so it doesn't look 100% original now, but at least we know it's structurally sound. Total cost of repairs was a a little over $4K, including haul/re-launch and unstepping/re-stepping mast. I talked with Frank Butler and he was not helpful, even though our boat was less than 5 years old (we're the second owners, and Catalina only extends their 5-year hull warranty to the original owner - now we can see why!). Frank recommended simply injecting resin into the hull, rather than cutting any away. Obviously, with the amount of moisture/damage we had, this would simply not have worked. Though this is our second Catalina boat (first was a 22), our experience with Catalina Yachts and their "customer support" isn't what we'd hoped for or expected. As you might imagine, we'd think long and hard before buying another Catalina. A couple photos attached to show our damage. More available if they'd be helpful to you.

Attachments

R

Rob

Hi, Thanks for the info. i think we have the same wet core problem. Had a fiberglass person with a moisture meter look at the cabin top and found aprox 50% was wet . We are looking at about 5 to 6 K for repair, not encluding non skid surface or paint . May not repair . May be a good project for someone if interested let me know. Its a C27 located in Rock Hall MD.
Thanks again
Rob

nexus

Nov 10, 2005
Yeah, Rob, I'd probably tend to agree with you. With a '79 C-27, spending $5-6k for repairs may be a questionable investment. On our 2003 C-30, we really didn't have much choice. May be best, as you say, to disclose the issue to prospective buyers and let someone who needs a project take care of it. Meanwhile, you can put the $5-6k towards a different boat. Good luck!

nexus

Nov 10, 2005
Rob,
Oops! Sorry......somehow I got in my head that your boat was a C-27, but I'd probably still reach the same conclusion with a '79 C-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.