Mast Step Issue

Apr 30, 2017
Hi guys,

So I lost a halyard and ended up dropping the mast to replace it. Anyway, I ended up dropping the mast while lowering it with one of those a frame style devices (I tied a cleat hitch at the line to the bow and apparently it wasn't enough). It fell when it was just past 45 degrees and while it seemed pretty dramatic at the time the mast appears to be fine.

I noticed the mast step appeared slightly raised off the deck after the incident. This would make sense since all of the force of the mast would have been on this when it fell.

Long story short I tried to simply tighten the bolts back down and one of the bolts is failing to grip and just keeps spinning.

Now the step still feels secure and I'm assuming when the mast is raised all of the force is just straight down on it so is this a major issue?

Maybe reseal everything to make sure water isn't getting in? Epoxy and redrill the holes?

What should I do to make sure everything is up to par before I step the mast?

Thanks,

Chris

Mar 11, 2014
That would be my recommendation as well. That is to Epoxy and re-drill the bolt holes so you don't get water in and cause a big mess