mast step hinge plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2007
Oday 25 25 Ephraim
The mast step hinge plate on my O'Day 25 is troublesome for several reasons. Friends with other boat models (Catalina 25 for example) have mast hinge systems that involve two vertical stainless plates ("ears") on either side of the mast with a single stainless bolt going through them and through the bottom of the mast. Seems real simple, strong, and versatile. Have seen other systems like this which have holes through the stainless "ears" for mounting halyard blocks and other rigging. Anybody replaced their original O'Day 25 mast steps with such a system? Specific brand recommendation? Installation issues? Dick Straubel Ephraim, WI

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Mast Hinge

Most good stainless steel mast hinge Tabernacles are either made by Kenyon or Dwyer. You can also add a utility plate under the cabin hinge plate. Both plates have two pivot pins. I installed a Kenyon Tabernacle with the utility plate on my boat years ago. My Z-Spar mast came with a real chintzy cast aluminum Tabernacle with one pin and a built in sheave for the jib halyard and this set up was the pits.

Status
Not open for further replies.