Mast Shoe - torn pin holes

Jul 9, 2013
I accidentally dropped my mast off to the side while raising in high winds many years ago and tore out the bottom edge of the hole (section closest to the end of the mast) leaving an open "U" shape pointing downward. Fortunately, the shrouds pull down enough to hold the mast in place while sailing, so I could race in that windy regatta (and won!).

I later had the bottom of the mast patched at a shop near my home (after removing all rigging - pain) where they do heliarc work. The welder just built up the area all around the hole, making it fatter and larger than the metal that was there before and I drilled out a new hole and ground it down to fit within the mast step. Has held up well for ten years now...

Mar 11, 2014
I haven't contacted them yet. Was wondering if any one had the size/ an imprint before I did. You see how cheap the stock shoe is, but I'm sure a custom shoe would be off the charts so figured I see what info I could gleam from this astute bunch first.
Thanks
Drew

Jul 3, 2013
Here are some mast thoughts - in no particular order:

I do not know if the MK I and MK II mast are the same are not, but the shroud length and attachments are the same (tall compared to tall, standard compared to standard) according to the product listings at Catalina Direct.

In regard to CP22 shrouds, Catalina Direct says: “Fits both Capri 22 Mk I and Mk II through hull number 1258, built in January of 2012, at which point a new rig manufacturer was used. The new style mast requires different length wires as well as different attachment fittings.” (An historical side note – I seem to own the last CP22, hull 1258, having the “old” mast.)

In another note, Catalina Direct says that Selden is the new CP22 mast supplier.

If, and that is a big if, the CP 22 and CP 25 use the same “older” mast extrusions (they do seem to use the same boom extrusion), there is a mast section drawing in the selected CP 25 Architectural Drawings that are part of the various CP 22 and 25 plan drawings that are published in various places. This mast section is the same general shape of the Dwyer DM-400 in the above post, but is differently sized.

The Dwyer DM-400 is 4 X 2.65 inches, while the Catalina one (from Consolidated Aluminum for the “CAPRY 25”) is 5.000 X 3.292 inches.

Mar 11, 2014
Very good info. Thanks to all. Trying to measure the mast (#1057) from the outside while it is standing it measures 4 x ~2.75. Really hard to be exact.

I was looking at this to see if the shoe fit then I was going to also replace the tabernacle with the mate to the shoe that has a built in hinge...

Short of that the block seems to be the best option...
Thanks again

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
I was thinking about this the other day. Did anybody ever find an exact "shoe". if not, then my thought was to get a new "crane" and modify it to fit the bottom.

Just an idea.

Hersh

Mar 11, 2014
Never did find a shoe that fit... To bad as a hinge would be great. When I do drop the mast next I'm going to custom an insert out of Stainless, tap fasteners and drill out the base bolt . The mast head crane is an interesting idea but looking at it it doesn't seem to have an insert similar to the shoe... at least not one I can see that similar to the shoe I had photoed above... Please do let me know what you come up with...

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
The PO of mine lost the mast while out on the water!!!
They were VERY lucky, but the boat was for sale the next day ...a bargain for me!!

If you switch to a shoe, be aware the foot of the mast will be slightly higher... altering the standing rigging.
I guess I don't see any advantage to a shoe-type step, but the cross-section is 4X3.
IMO a shoe will be fine, as long as you don't plan on raising/lowering regularly.
But a simple repair to the foot of the mast sounds like a good solution!

The simple U-bracket works well to keep the foot secure while stepping.
The elongated holes allow for some necessary play when the mast is going up & down.
Once the mast goes vertical, the bracket & bolt only hold the foot longitudinally.
...all the weight and pressure is directly on the coach roof.

Jul 9, 2013
I added a couple extra screws through the mast step into the cabintop to prevent the twisting that was occuring on my 1985.

FYI,
Jerry

Mar 11, 2014
Took the mast down last weekend to take the boat to a regatta this weekend... Lot of work, hope the weather hold for that. Any way while I had it down I decided to fix the torn tabernacle bottom of mast slots that had ripped out before I owned the boat... I took two peaces of SS and slowly formed them to fit the inside of the mast for each side using a Vice. Drilled out the place for the tabernacle bolt and drilled and tapped each to hold it in place. I think you can see the result in the attached... Certainly won't help me with the race but did help when I put the mast back up when I got to Lake Norman

Attachments

Jul 9, 2013
I disagree. Knowing that your rig is better supported/attached gives you that mental advantage to outperform all the other boats on the water! The proper mindset is your best weapon and advantage. Use it! And win!

I had the same problem a few years ago (as you can see in my earlier posts in this string) and had an aluminum welder over build up the area that was broken and then I drilled it out and ground it down on the exterior. Works like a champ and we have been winning races since! Coincidence? I think not...

Jul 18, 2013
I've used "aluminum brazing rods" to repair this same damage. $10 for a lifetime supply from Home Depot. You will need MAP gas rather than just propane.